Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carrying fishing rods

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carrying fishing rods

Old 07-27-20, 10:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
In England I discovered the property owner, in a King like manner. considered the stream passing through his patch,
meant the fish in the stream were his, the property to defend too. (Not even pole less camping)

& in the US you need a species specific licence, cross state lines & you need another one..
Old 07-28-20, 01:44 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Since the thread has come around again, I'll share my suburban fishing rig:

Old 07-28-20, 07:18 PM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
brought my rod on my c&o trip recently. as stated above by others fishing and riding did not mesh well on this trip. the need to hit the trail early to avoid the heat and stop early enough to make camp wash clothes etc made a conflict that i resolved in detriment to fishing....which i love.

on the other hand yesterday on a local ride i fished and caught 1 small mouth bass and 3 bluegills. all a bit less then record threatening but a good time was had by all, well at least by me

chris in miami, i like your rig
Likes For mark d:
Old 07-29-20, 11:47 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
Agree but I rode ~ 30 miles with that rod on the back that day on Marthas Vineyard.....no fish though
No fish? I’m sitting at a little pond in Sacramento, that was recently stocked. 🤪😁😉 I saw 3 different people catch multiple fish, in about an hour or two. Most folks went home now, but those fish are still jumping. 😎
Old 07-31-20, 02:36 PM
BFmotion3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can also check out the BIKE FISHERMAN..
It's affordable,super easy to install, and holds 2 spinning rods safely while you ride

www.bikefisherman.com
Old 08-08-20, 06:55 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Telescopic! Seriously.. I have 5 different telescopic fishing rods, from light light light action, to medium heavy.. the largest is collapsible to about 18" in length, the smallest probably about 12", you can pop them into a pump holder on the frame, put them in a pannier, strap them to the rack, have them in a pack on your back.. or even mount a short section of PVC horizontally to your rack, when I did this I took an old trashed piece of inner tube and a screw and made a stretch strap to hold the rod from bouncing out just in case.. worked quite well. If you want any specifics just let me know.. I love fishing and biking and combining the two.
I looked at telescopic rods but due to all the ferrules that have to be in those to get them to extend to whatever length, doesn't that cut the sensitivity of the rod by a lot?

Also how reliable are the telescopic sections? I'm always worried about them coming apart like the old radio antennas use to do.
Old 08-08-20, 06:59 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
Fish with my fishing rods all the time! I simply attach a PVC tube to the bike rack using hose clamps. There are times when I carry 4 11' rods with me.

Attachment 377553
I tried that doing that and I broke the rod when the rod hit a tree limb I was riding under, thought I had the clearance, nope.
Old 08-09-20, 02:31 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
I looked at telescopic rods but due to all the ferrules that have to be in those to get them to extend to whatever length, doesn't that cut the sensitivity of the rod by a lot?

Also how reliable are the telescopic sections? I'm always worried about them coming apart like the old radio antennas use to do.
I have a very old telescopic fishing rod that's still going strong. In my opinion the convenience and ease of carrying it far outweighs the loss of a bit of sensitivity. I've never used it for fly-fishing though.

Cheers
Old 08-09-20, 04:41 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
The grey cloth tube extending up from the rear right pannier, 8.5ft 5wt. 5 piece travel fly rod I built many moon ago