Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 09:39 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So after getting a hard time tonight for riding Michelin's I found out numerous people have been struggling with the Power Comp tires. I'm awaiting exact details before deciding this wasn't factory thirds given out to sponsored athletes. Hopefully you find some combination of wheel/pressure that works out for you rubiksoval.
Old 06-27-17, 12:55 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Generally speaking rolling resistance and grip are correlated, no?

i don't think so -- but rolling resistance and tire mass are inversely related, generally speaking.
Old 06-27-17, 06:15 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
i don't think so -- but rolling resistance and tire mass are inversely related, generally speaking.
I think any puncture belts play a big part in crr. The fastest tires generally have the least amount of puncture resistance. The possible mechanism there being flexibility of the tire to absorb and maintain contact?

Then it seems that rubber compounds are the next thing. Black chili was a big step up for Conti. I think Vittoria now has their graphene thing. Michelin has this "power race" thing. Possibly all a bunch of marketing bollucks.
Old 06-27-17, 05:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
inversely? so as mass goes down rolling resistance goes up?
Old 06-27-17, 05:57 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I think any puncture belts play a big part in crr. The fastest tires generally have the least amount of puncture resistance. The possible mechanism there being flexibility of the tire to absorb and maintain contact?

Then it seems that rubber compounds are the next thing. Black chili was a big step up for Conti. I think Vittoria now has their graphene thing. Michelin has this "power race" thing. Possibly all a bunch of marketing bollucks.
generally, but there are some very fast tires that have a breaker in them. it does seem like total mass is a better predictor -- though generally speaking removing the breaker reduces mass.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
inversely? so as mass goes down rolling resistance goes up?
that's my mistake; thanks for catching it. i meant to say that rolling resistance increases as mass increases.

i just f-ed up when i had globe's comment about rolling resistance and grip being correlated in my head. generally durometer (hardness of the compound) is INVERSELY related to grip -- meaning lower durometer means MORE grip, but this is not universally true. also, some companies have made tires with harder compounds in the center and softer compounds on the sides, presumably to achieve a balance of straight-line speed & cornering grip.
Old 06-27-17, 06:26 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

that's my mistake; thanks for catching it.
you know how much I love being right.
Old 06-28-17, 01:57 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Sorry to interrupt the discussion of tires or whatever, but I raced today (well yesterday).

SJBC Tuesday night crit, A's. Made the winning break, flatted a few laps in.. the course is about 2 miles per lap, and I flatted at the worst possible spot, so had to walk the bike probably a ****ing mile back to my spare tube/etc. fml.

I could have gotten back in, but it was getting dark and I had to ride 20-ish miles home.

my race videos
Old 06-28-17, 07:11 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by mattm
Sorry to interrupt the discussion of tires or whatever, but I raced today (well yesterday).

SJBC Tuesday night crit, A's. Made the winning break, flatted a few laps in.. the course is about 2 miles per lap, and I flatted at the worst possible spot, so had to walk the bike probably a ****ing mile back to my spare tube/etc. fml.

I could have gotten back in, but it was getting dark and I had to ride 20-ish miles home.
Wait, which tires?!

Just kidding. That sucks. Walk of flat tire shames are the worst.
Old 06-28-17, 07:25 AM
akinsgre

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ACA Tuesday night crit series.

Heart rate spiked to 230bpm about two laps in.. had to drop.
Old 06-28-17, 08:09 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by akinsgre
ACA Tuesday night crit series.

Heart rate spiked to 230bpm about two laps in.. had to drop.

Tachycardia? If so, it's handy that it was the ACA series.
Old 06-28-17, 12:01 PM
mattm
**** that

Wait, which tires?!

Just kidding. That sucks. Walk of flat tire shames are the worst.
gp4000s, but i had it on backwards so that's probably why it flatted.

what's extra annoying about flatting out of this break was one of the guys in the break (that ended up winning) won this race a few weeks ago and told the organizer to "apologize" to the rest of us for winning so handily.. which is lol but pretty annoying.

i said he didn't need to apologize unless he laps the field (which would be hard, given ~2 mi laps). so i wanted to beat him but it'll have to wait..

my race videos
Old 06-28-17, 12:57 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the gurus over at slowtwitch, the GP4000s are more aero when mounted backwards, so you were doing it right even if it was by accident.
Old 06-28-17, 03:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

what's extra annoying about flatting out of this break was one of the guys in the break (that ended up winning) won this race a few weeks ago and told the organizer to "apologize" to the rest of us for winning so handily.. which is lol but pretty annoying.

i said he didn't need to apologize unless he laps the field (which would be hard, given ~2 mi laps). so i wanted to beat him but it'll have to wait..
who
Old 06-28-17, 03:45 PM
mattm
**** that

who
some guy who works for Specialized - but not Colin or any of the Mike's guys.

my race videos
Old 06-28-17, 03:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
some guy who works for Specialized - but not Colin or any of the Mike's guys.
does he scream "RUN IT OVER" at squirrels?
Old 06-28-17, 04:06 PM
mattm
**** that

does he scream "RUN IT OVER" at squirrels?
ha, no.

this guy rides like 1000 miles in a week and stuff.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/14995845

my race videos
Old 06-28-17, 04:23 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
What the actual **** @ some of his rides. Particularly the 950 miler. And the 150 miles around the bay solo @ 20+ mph average.
Old 06-28-17, 04:32 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
What the actual **** @ some of his rides. Particularly the 950 miler. And the 150 miles around the bay solo @ 20+ mph average.
pshh. nebraska is all downhill and west to east there is a tailwind!
Old 06-28-17, 05:12 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whu? 950 miles....in one shot....no sleeping? Good F-ing god.
Old 06-29-17, 05:18 AM
akinsgre

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Tachycardia? If so, it's handy that it was the ACA series.
LOL Yes, it is tachycardia.. but I've seen a Cardiologist.. no real diagnosis of a cause. It seems to be exercise/stress related. I think I'm a little more prone to over-training; I'm 50 this year and am recovering from a significant health event.

Just need a couple days off and an easy week and I'll be right as rain ;-)
Old 06-29-17, 07:54 AM
rubiksoval

Wednesday night crit. Soooo boring. Break of 5 went from a lap in with a teammate there, bridged up behind some other dude, ended up with 11 guys with only 3 pulling through, teammate attacked a few laps later, I countered, he then countered again and four of them rolled off. I spent the next 45 minutes sitting in bored out of my skull. Then a team that had 3 in my group decided to start attacking with a few laps to go. I don't ever have a clue what they're trying to do. I don't think they understand numbers very well. To go from having 4 guys in 11 to being satisfied with 1 (non sprinter) in 4 and then sitting on while that group laps the field... whatever. Plays to my advantage. I covered their 3-4 attacks and then sprinted for fifth. Pretty minimal exertion for the whole race, which is what I wanted. Just forgot how unsatisfying that is.

But at the same time, my legs suck. Or whole body sucks. Or something. I peaked a month ago I guess. I think it was all those dumb new max-style workouts I did, which in hindsight were supremely effective...for close to that time period. Not so much for now. Will definitely make a note of that for future attempted peaks. The last three years have been a much longer, consistent plateau of good fitness from May to August. I think my fitness is still about the same as that, but May and June were quite a bit higher than that plateau and it had me feeling all nice and fast and now that that's gone away I feel a bit dejected.

So tomorrow is the hardest 110 mile road race I'll do for a long time. 7,500 feet of short, rolling, punchy climbing over the course of 20 laps. Last year there were 176 people but only 132 registered as of now. I only made it 18 laps before they pulled my group. Only about 45 or so guys made it to the end. Carnage.

Dewpoint right back up at 70 wonderful degrees. Will probably go through 7-8 water bottles or more. Not actually looking forward to it. Am looking forward to the crit Sunday, but more so because I'm going to not ride for a while right after it than the actual race itself. Ahhh, bike racing is hard on my brain.
Old 06-29-17, 11:19 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Whu? 950 miles....in one shot....no sleeping? Good F-ing god.
his total time was ~20-odd hours more than ride time. I think he slept 3 nights...
Old 06-29-17, 12:48 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
his total time was ~20-odd hours more than ride time. I think he slept 3 nights...
Looks like a 3.5 hour stop on the side of highway 80 near Lyman at 8:37. There is a 7 hour stop in Cheyene at 33:16. Then a 1 hour stop in North Platte at 58:27 and a 1 hour stop in Grand Island at 71:54
Old 06-29-17, 01:12 PM
mattm
**** that

So tomorrow is the hardest 110 mile road race I'll do for a long time. 7,500 feet of short, rolling, punchy climbing over the course of 20 laps. Last year there were 176 people but only 132 registered as of now. I only made it 18 laps before they pulled my group. Only about 45 or so guys made it to the end. Carnage.

Dewpoint right back up at 70 wonderful degrees. Will probably go through 7-8 water bottles or more. Not actually looking forward to it. Am looking forward to the crit Sunday, but more so because I'm going to not ride for a while right after it than the actual race itself. Ahhh, bike racing is hard on my brain.
Nats I guess?

GOOD LUCK!!

my race videos
Old 06-29-17, 03:11 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got 5th in a Cat 5 road race a few weekends ago and never did a race report. My first top 10 in a real race. Really happy given that I'm not a sprinter and it was a pretty pan flat race. One team lined up 4 wide on the front after the neutral bike pulled off and was rolling at 17-18mph screaming at guys about the centerline rule where we'd go through turns on the left side of an intersection (where the course met itself and turned). We got to a spot about 3 miles in where they squeezed in for a puddle and I rode through the puddle, through the gravel in the end of someones driveway, and went up the road. My buddy said there was water and gravel flying everywhere so it looked pretty dramatic as I fishtailed through it and rode away. I got a long ways up the road but there was alot of wind and a small group caught me and shortly after a now lined out group caught up with us. My friend said that when I went away the blocking team had to chase and the guys they had up there took no time at all to move off the front and out the back. I sat in the rest of race, had to cover several gaps in the last 2 miles when splits happened and overhauled probably 10 guys in the sprint who went too soon with the head/cross wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.