Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 01:55 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
why wait? what do you get for winning the miniseries?
the jersey mann. commemorative memorabilia, street cred. bragging rights.
Old 03-25-17, 08:26 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got racing stuff together last night, woke up at 3am, ate some eggs, drove to NJ, carefully scheduled the coffee and bathroom needs with the thruway rest stops, sat in my van in the dark pinning on my number, lined up at dawn with 74 other guys including some ex pros, spent a half hour in the first 10 wheels feeling pretty good, front tire detonated in close quarters, didn't crash, rolled into the grass, no free lap, drove home.
Old 03-25-17, 09:46 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
That sucks so much.
Old 03-25-17, 11:02 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@globecanvas- That does suck, but considering what might have happened, not a terminally bad way to end the race.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-25-17, 11:14 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
...front tire detonated in close quarters...
Glad you are OK and sorry about that. Would you mind sharing technical details/how it happened?
Old 03-25-17, 11:36 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Obviously the competition installed a tiny explosive on the valve stem.
Old 03-25-17, 12:00 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
Glad you are OK and sorry about that. Would you mind sharing technical details/how it happened?
Technical details? I was elbowing gsteinb off a wheel (false) at 28 mph (true) and something sliced the side of the front tire and it went bang. Luckily it was (a) a tubular and (b) a masters field. I stuck my hand up and 75 guys rode around me without comment.
Old 03-25-17, 06:28 PM
aaronmcd

Winchester Circuit Race

Drove 2 hours to and 3 hours from a 1 hour climby circuit race to see if I can hang with a 2/3 field with this much elevation. 3500 feet in the 5 laps. Each lap has a a few various bumps, a 45-50 mph descent, and 5 minutes of progressively steeper rollers/stairstep with the finish 2/3 of the way up.

20 guys lined up and about half the field consisted of 2 teams. Both teams had black kits. In fact, only 3 guys in the race weren't wearing black kits. The big teams started sending guys up the road early and consistently. I wasn't sure anything would stick even with the teams due to the nature of the course. First time up the climb was crazy fast, I think many of the guys didn't realize how long the climb is. We shed a large chunk of guys who had to chase back on.

Later, 1 guy on each of the big 2 got away and built a 40 second gap. Damn! 4th time up the climb, 2 guys attack hard and I can't follow. They bridged on that single climb, and the pack splits into fragments, I was near the lead non-break group. However I saw a decent sized group behind charging hard and waited. I'd probably beat them at the finish anyway.

11 of us hit the final rollers/climb racing for 5th, but the pace was too slow and no one was willing to keep it hard. I was 3rd wheel coming into the sprint but waited too long (and not a sprinter) still got 3rd in the field for 7th overall. Not bad for me+all that climbing! It helped that I just got over a bit of a cold and so have been resting since tuesday.

Also, 125 TSS in only 1:04. Damn!

Edit:
Hmm, that's 335 NP. I should probably bump my FTP up from 310 but I doubt if it's any higher than 315. Maaaybe 320. Maybe. If I kid myself.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 03-25-17 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 09:20 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same race as @aaronmcd , but I'd hardly call what I did racing. 5 laps on a 4.4 mile course lots of up and down, but a great course if you have some climbing ability. It's a local race, so our team supports it even though it only favors a couple of us. We had 7 of the 20 racers in the field and I REALLY tried to get some color in our kits this year, but got shot down. So, between our 7, Williams' 4, and 1 ThirstyBear, there were a lot of black kits.

I threw in an early attack to shake things up. Thirsty Bear and Williams came with, but not the ones I wanted, so I sat up. Couple of other moves went before the big descent. All was good until we hit the first climb through the finish line A lot more zip than I expected and I got popped off. Did a few more laps joining up with other dropped riders before pulling out after lap 4 to watch the finish.

Teammate got second losing to local superstar mtb kid, we were ok with that. Did a team loop in the hills afterward and then spent three hours at the brewery.
Old 03-26-17, 12:14 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
3/4 was one by a guy who was cat 5 that morning.
Yep...
295 NP for 4/5 laps with TSS of 111.
Clearly good time was had by all.
Old 03-26-17, 12:44 AM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
3/4 was one by a guy who was cat 5 that morning.
Yep...
295 NP for 4/5 laps with TSS of 111.
Clearly good time was had by all.
Yeah that race is crazy on the TSS. Last year I did 2/3 then 3/4, and 3/4 was way harder because fatigue. So I opted out of getting my ass handed to me in an 8 man P12 race with 2 pros lol. How was this guy cat 5 this morning? He call the upgrade guy and get approved over the phone or what? Oh and how'd you do?
Old 03-26-17, 12:49 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Yeah that race is crazy on the TSS. Last year I did 2/3 then 3/4, and 3/4 was way harder because fatigue. So I opted out of getting my ass handed to me in an 8 man P12 race with 2 pros lol. How was this guy cat 5 this morning? He call the upgrade guy and get approved over the phone or what? Oh and how'd you do?
Yeah apparently he requested upgrade from 5 to 4 with less then 10 races was approved. Raced 4s won that, raced 3/4 won that. Dude can descent fast and has a kick. Field also under estimated him.

Meh top ten out of 13 starters. Legs cracked on final climb to the finish line. Need to work on repeated high intensity efforts. Teammate got 5th so I live vicariously though him.

Sounds like you kicked some ass too.
Old 03-26-17, 12:58 AM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Yeah apparently he requested upgrade from 5 to 4 with less then 10 races was approved. Raced 4s won that, raced 3/4 won that. Dude can descent fast and has a kick. Field also under estimated him.

Meh top ten out of 13 starters. Legs cracked on final climb to the finish line. Need to work on repeated high intensity efforts. Teammate got 5th so I live vicariously though him.

Sounds like you kicked some ass too.
"Top ten out of 13 starters" lol!!
I'm sure it felt like an epic battle though, that's one thing I like about racing. You can get tired, dropped, catch some guys, and end up "midpack" cuz the race is just that hard.
I think I'm finally getting the repeated effort thing nailed down. Sure I didn't make the break, but I kicked butt at repeated efforts and carefully conserving by following the bigger guys at the end of descents! I really wanted to win my field sprint. Simon won it for 5th, I thought he might be too tired cuz he put in a good number of short lived attacks. But he still had a good kick at the finish and probably would have beaten me even if I jumped early like I should have. The other guy that beat me in the field sprint totally should have been behind me. If I/we made the final climb a bit harder I would have had him. But whatever, all the upgrade points were up the road. That's where I made the mistake, letting those guys get away and betting on them working their way back to the pack.
Old 03-26-17, 08:03 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tfw you set new power records for everything from 5 to 15 minutes and still get dropped on the climb on the first lap.
Old 03-26-17, 08:52 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The winning pro also stacked about 65 miles and 6,000 feet of climbing to get to the start of the race:

https://www.strava.com/activities/914526347/overview
Old 03-26-17, 09:00 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike868y
tfw you set new power records for everything from 5 to 15 minutes and still get dropped on the climb on the first lap.
I think I remember you recently saying you had been setting power records in training and it almost felt too easy. Maybe I am misremembering but -- is there any chance your power meter is just reading too high? :/
Old 03-26-17, 12:20 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by hack
The winning pro also stacked about 65 miles and 6,000 feet of climbing to get to the start of the race:

https://www.strava.com/activities/914526347/overview
Ha my teammate called it, when Evan wasn't there yet like 40 minutes before the race.
Old 03-26-17, 05:08 PM
aaronmcd

Holy smokes. 13 minutes of Santa Cruz Classic Criterium at 350 NP, and dropped. I can only sprint so many times with a few seconds rest. Teammate got 5th somehow. A crapload of DNFs today.
Old 03-26-17, 05:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
I had to google TFW to find out what it meant.
Old 03-26-17, 05:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 3,150 Times in 1,658 Posts
today was the final stage of SDSR - the crit. I didn't have the legs or the head for it today so I tailgunned it and having fun with the corners. my teammate got 3rd (!!!) and lost to a solo rider OTF for 5+ laps and the one and only Alonso Tal, who divebombed him on the last corner.

fixiekids man, why?

eventually he'll upgrade to the P/1/2 level and learn that people who do that get curbed. that kind of superman big ego riding kinda pisses me off
Old 03-26-17, 05:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Holy smokes. 13 minutes of Santa Cruz Classic Criterium at 350 NP, and dropped. I can only sprint so many times with a few seconds rest. Teammate got 5th somehow. A crapload of DNFs today.
sounds like a gnarly race!
Old 03-26-17, 05:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I had to google TFW to find out what it meant.
kids these days and their "feels"

Old 03-26-17, 07:30 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by TMonk
sounds like a gnarly race!
Yeah. Brutal. My only solace was seeing that some seriously strong riders even blew up before me. One of those races that requires either very narrow abilities (very good sprint 40+ times) or just crazy strong threshold to recover while still pushing 250-300 watts.
Old 03-26-17, 09:22 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Yeah, SC classic is like San Rafael on crack.
Old 03-26-17, 09:25 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

"Top ten out of 13 starters" lol!!
I'm sure it felt like an epic battle though, that's one thing I like about racing. You can get tired, dropped, catch some guys, and end up "midpack" cuz the race is just that hard.
I think I'm finally getting the repeated effort thing nailed down. Sure I didn't make the break, but I kicked butt at repeated efforts and carefully conserving by following the bigger guys at the end of descents! I really wanted to win my field sprint. Simon won it for 5th, I thought he might be too tired cuz he put in a good number of short lived attacks. But he still had a good kick at the finish and probably would have beaten me even if I jumped early like I should have. The other guy that beat me in the field sprint totally should have been behind me. If I/we made the final climb a bit harder I would have had him. But whatever, all the upgrade points were up the road. That's where I made the mistake, letting those guys get away and betting on them working their way back to the pack.
Well that's why I put total number of riders.
I need to figure out how to push through mental blocks. I think it's holding my training back, and impacts racing.
Once the hurting starts having hard time concentrating and pushing harder. Although lap 4 was an improvement in that department.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.