Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Are The Advantages Of Tubeless and Why.??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 09:27 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts

Title says it all. Why go tubeless.?? Advantages and what are the physics/science/engineering of the advantages.??

I honestly don't know.
Old 01-12-19, 12:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
No more puncture flats. Everything else is supposed, as far as I'm concerned. I mounted the 700x35 Hutchinson Overide on my CX bike on January 18, 2018. It's logged 5,000 miles without a single issue, and no care beyond topping off sealant. My last flat tire of any kind was around 10,000 miles ago-- and that was due to running over (of all things) a pair of drywall screws. On 700x25s, I ran over a door hinge screw in September, and finished the last 15 miles of a century with the screw thwap-thwapping against the pavement. The next morning, the tire still had ~70psi in it. But little punctures, like goatheads or radial tire wire? Gone forever.
Old 01-12-19, 02:14 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Add to puncture resistance PIA to mount and change when needed. Lighter, faster, better riding and handling. The advantages are endless. You will be a super star on tubeless! It is all the rage.
Would I do a round the world tour on them? Nope. May as well keep things standard with tubes as eventually that is where you will be in the middle of India or in Podunk Oklahoma. .

On my short commute bike have not had a flat in 20 years running Conti tires and standard tubes. Long commute bike have not had a flat in 5 years running Conti tires and standard tubes. On my daily workout bike have not had a flat in 3 years running Conti tires and standard tubes. Not bad for the lowly, easy to deal with standard tube set up.
Old 01-12-19, 03:54 AM
LMCol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whet tyre sizes are you talking? IMO it's much more useful in mountain-biking where it allows you to run lower pressures without getting pinch flats, meaning more grip. All I can say is that I've gone from a flat every couple of weeks to none in two years.
Old 01-12-19, 05:57 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
You can run tubeless with lower pressures without risk of pinch flats. I run my tubeless at 60 psi. More comfortable and efficient.
Old 01-12-19, 06:31 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
My 29er mountain bike with Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires and standard tubes set to 28psi front and rear, never had a flat in. Rock gardens, rutted trails, roots, etc., o flats in 3 years. No longer mountain ride, only road now. Body weight 230 pounds. Again, not bad for the lowly standard tire and tube set up.
Old 01-12-19, 06:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I'm currently running tubeless on my mountain bike and my road bike. Flat protection is the main reason. I've ridden through the last 37 winters on roads covered with cinders and sand. It's no fun changing a tire in 20ºF temps.

Old 01-12-19, 08:18 AM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My 29er mountain bike with Schwalbe Rocket Ron tires and standard tubes set to 28psi front and rear, never had a flat in. Rock gardens, rutted trails, roots, etc., o flats in 3 years. No longer mountain ride, only road now. Body weight 230 pounds. Again, not bad for the lowly standard tire and tube set up.
While attempting to rebut the previous point about being able to run lower pressure, you proved the point.

28 psi is high, not low. For example, I run 18f/20r tubeless.

It’s not surprising that you haven’t flatted in rock gardens, rutted trails, roots, etc. since pinch flatting while using tubes is really dependent on speed, tire pressure and sidewall stiffness.

If you lived in an area where flats were common from thorns you would understand another reason why folks run tubeless.
Old 01-12-19, 11:26 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Disadvantage: Having yourself and your bike sprayed with sealant.

I too get very few flats. I'd rather simply change a tube than clean up a big mess.
Old 01-12-19, 11:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

If you live where you don't have goatheads, and you "never get flats" just run tubeless tires without sealant. As a guy with 5 sets of tubeless wheels who runs tubeless tires exclusively, I'm the first to say they're not for everyone. But you guys who go years without flats talking about how tubeless is unnecessary... yeah it is, for you. On the other hand, I would be looking at 50+ flats every year. And when the choice is between the tubeless tires and the "hassle" of sealant or using heavy, awful, armored tires, I'll take the tubeless.
Old 01-12-19, 12:42 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

I think every post here has missed my point and question. WHY DO YOU GET LESS FLATS WITH A TUBELESS TIRE.?? I asked for the scienc/physics/engineering of WHY does one get less flats by going tubeless. WHY.??
Old 01-12-19, 12:50 PM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I think every post here has missed my point and question. WHY DO YOU GET LESS FLATS WITH A TUBELESS TIRE.?? I asked for the scienc/physics/engineering of WHY does one get less flats by going tubeless. WHY.??
Is Google broken in your village?

In the time it took you to post, read all the replies, and post again, you could have found the answer to your simple question. In fact, it would have taken much less time.

p.s. You never asked why you get less flats with tubeless.
Old 01-12-19, 12:55 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you live where you don't have goatheads, and you "never get flats" just run tubeless tires without sealant. As a guy with 5 sets of tubeless wheels who runs tubeless tires exclusively, I'm the first to say they're not for everyone. But you guys who go years without flats talking about how tubeless is unnecessary... yeah it is, for you. On the other hand, I would be looking at 50+ flats every year. And when the choice is between the tubeless tires and the "hassle" of sealant or using heavy, awful, armored tires, I'll take the tubeless.
When you say you run tubeless tires without sealant, I have a follow up question for you: What pressures do you run then? I’m assuming you are talking about a road bike tubeless, since I would think that bigger volume tires always require sealant.

And then also I would like to know: when running tubeless without sealant, how much pressure do you lose overnight?

I tested the Dura Ace 7850 wheels to see if they could hold pressure with no sealant and I would say that they did, but not in a real confidence inspiring way. I pumped up to 88 psi in the early afternoon and by the next morning the pressure had dropped to 50 and a day later it dropped to 25. I’m not sure if the initial pressurizing would be sufficient for a 3 hour ride or if the gradual loss of pressure would be a glaring deficiency....
Old 01-12-19, 01:06 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
First off, because there is no tube, there are no pinch flats.

After that, assuming one uses sealant in the tire, small punctures will be sealed. As an example, a month or so ago, I found an orange smudge on my rear tire. I peeled the orange off of the tire surface and found a nice orange spot where the sealant had sealed off a puncture. I hadn't realized that I had punctured and don't know when it happened.

Old 01-12-19, 01:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I asked for the scienc/physics/engineering of WHY does one get less flats by going tubeless. WHY.??
No, that is not what you actually asked.

But now that you managed to formulate your question, but are still not able to do the most basic of searches.......

No tube to pinch flat, and sealant will plug most punctures. Do you need more explaination than that?
Old 01-12-19, 02:24 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Kapusta

No, that is not what you actually asked.

But now that you managed to formulate your question, but are still not able to do the most basic of searches.......

No tube to pinch flat, and sealant will plug most punctures. Do you need more explaination than that?
You're wrong buddy. Read the post. You're assuming I already knew that tubeless creates less flats. That's your assumption, not mine.

A lot of mouthy people on this forum. I've noticed in other posts, you're one of them.

And as for google searches.... Why would I do that with all the experts here.?? You want me to read wiki and be satisfied.?? I use google as little as possible. They're biased, at least. What a stupid response.... Use google.?? Why is this forum active if we have google.?? Post a bike thread here and be told .... Use google. Asshats.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 01-12-19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 02:30 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
First off, because there is no tube, there are no pinch flats.

After that, assuming one uses sealant in the tire, small punctures will be sealed. As an example, a month or so ago, I found an orange smudge on my rear tire. I peeled the orange off of the tire surface and found a nice orange spot where the sealant had sealed off a puncture. I hadn't realized that I had punctured and don't know when it happened.
Wow. That's pretty cool. Can someone tell me what a pinch flat is.?? I honestly don't know.
Old 01-12-19, 02:40 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by balut bandit

Is Google broken in your village?

In the time it took you to post, read all the replies, and post again, you could have found the answer to your simple question. In fact, it would have taken much less time.

p.s. You never asked why you get less flats with tubeless.
I didn't ask because I didn't know, dick. Or jimmie. Your post was a waist of my time and yours, georgey. Fiurther more, how do you know that I haven't searched it out.?? Am I suppose to believe everything I read.?? Can't do that. Not in this day and age, dudette.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 01-12-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 02:51 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

You're wrong buddy. Read the post. You're assuming I already knew that tubeless creates less flats. That's your assumption, not mine.

A lot of mouthy people on this forum. I've noticed in other posts, you're one of them.

And as for google searches.... Why would I do that with all the experts here.?? You want me to read wiki and be satisfied.?? I use google as little as possible. They're biased, at least. What a stupid response.... Use google.?? Why is this forum active if we have google.?? Post a bike thread here and be told .... Use google. Asshats.
I'm "mouthy"? Your are the one that threw a tantrum when people did not read your mind and answer a question you were not asking.

And BTW, you seem to have missed the part where I answered your question.

Your welcome.
Old 01-12-19, 02:52 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Wow. That's pretty cool. Can someone tell me what a pinch flat is.?? I honestly don't know.
When an obstacle is hit hard enough, the tube gets pinched between the tire and the rim:

The result is often a "snakebite" in the tube:

When you take the tube out of the equation, this kind of flat is eliminated.
Other advantages of tubeless include less weight, better traction, and more comfort.

I only run tubeless on my mountain bike, as that's the bike I'm mostly likely to get flats on and the one that benefits the most from the advantages listed above. I should probably convert my gravel bike at some point.
Hope this helps!

--Ed

Last edited by EdwinHeadwind; 01-12-19 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 02:53 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

LMGTFY
Old 01-12-19, 03:26 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Wow. That was pretty cool. I didn't click on the search though.
Old 01-12-19, 03:27 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
When an obstacle is hit hard enough, the tube gets pinched between the tire and the rim:

The result is often a "snakebite" in the tube:

When you take the tube out of the equation, this kind of flat is eliminated.
Other advantages of tubeless include less weight, better traction, and more comfort.

I only run tubeless on my mountain bike, as that's the bike I'm mostly likely to get flats on and the one that benefits the most from the advantages listed above. I should probably convert my gravel bike at some point.
Hope this helps!

--Ed
Thanks Ed. Awesome reply.!!
Old 01-12-19, 03:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Wow. That was pretty cool. I didn't click on the search though.
That's probably wise. I'm sure it was full of misinformation.
Old 01-12-19, 03:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by masi61

When you say you run tubeless tires without sealant, I have a follow up question for you: What pressures do you run then? I’m assuming you are talking about a road bike tubeless, since I would think that bigger volume tires always require sealant.

And then also I would like to know: when running tubeless without sealant, how much pressure do you lose overnight?

I tested the Dura Ace 7850 wheels to see if they could hold pressure with no sealant and I would say that they did, but not in a real confidence inspiring way. I pumped up to 88 psi in the early afternoon and by the next morning the pressure had dropped to 50 and a day later it dropped to 25. I’m not sure if the initial pressurizing would be sufficient for a 3 hour ride or if the gradual loss of pressure would be a glaring deficiency....
I don't run my tires without sealant, I absolutely could not. Further, many tire/wheel combos require sealant to create an airtight seal-- some do not. So I can't say how long they would hold pressure, as I can't run anything "dry." Even before tubeless, I had to run tubes with Flat Attack to try to avoid daily flats.

I run my 700x25s ~90psi. Overnight they will lose a couple of pounds. If left for a week, those tires will drop to ~75psi and just sit there. Losing more than about 5psi overnight is usually a sign the sealant needs to be refreshed-- but if the sealant is still good, something else is leaking, usually the Presta core.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.