Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ex ONCE Giant TCR frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ex ONCE Giant TCR frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 01:19 AM
Dan Chase

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Ex ONCE Giant TCR frame

Hi Guys,
Bit late for a classic in this section but I`m pretty sure there are some other forum members how have posted here about Giant TCR`s.

On the list of +1`s I have was a genuine ONCE Team bike - not because of the riders or the team, but that black and yellow thing just lloks awesome and I do love a team bike. There are, of course, thousands upon thousands of ex team bikes out there, all genuine.... really....

So this frame came up last year on ebay and I ummed and ahhed, then it went off the listings, came back a few weeks ago and went for it, a deal was done.

Its an ex ONCE team bike TT configuration (I believe the same frame were used for both road and TT?), meant to be from the 04/05 season, repainted in Liberty Seguros colours (ONCE became Liberty Seguros in `05 before becoming the current Moviestar). Apparently BH supplied the road bikes but had no TT bikes, so the ONCE frames were repainted. Looking at the paint, its a real pro job, logo`s are masked and sprayed as opposed to decals, there is, however, the odd bit of yellow popping through a few stone chips, plus original ONCE stickers on the seat tube.

Questions - were these frames originally anodised (being ally) or painted?
- Also, thought that from `04 TCR`s were carbon - this ones definatly ally with carbon fork, so would make it `03?

Plan is to strip all that lovely paint off, then go for either the all yellow configuration or the black/yellow - not sure which yet. Have a full campy 10 speed TT set up to go there along with some head tri spokes (almost went for period correct mavic g3 but they really don`t have a braking surface and I don`t want to die...).

Thoughts please, Dan.