Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Homemade bicycle stand

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Homemade bicycle stand

Old 07-17-20, 04:33 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Homemade bicycle stand

I picked this up a few years ago, its been floating around in my garage for a while with no base, I finally decided to make use of it.
Its made from 1 1/4" water pipe and some bolts covered in vinyl tubing.
I made the base from 3/8" plywood, I went with the 3/8" because they had a half sheet of exterior 3/8" ply for $3 in the scrap bin. I cut the 1/2 sheet in four equal pieces, glued it together with marine wood glue, then cut it to 20x24". I put adjustable feed on the bottom, I counter drilled four 1/2" nuts and epoxied them in place at each corner. It keeps the wood off the concrete incase it ever got wet too. I sanded and coated the whole completeled base with 5 coats of marine Spar Varnish I had here.
Its perfect for working on old balloon tire and three speed bikes, it works for some drop bar bikes but not with those with bottom cables if you want to shift the gears on the stand.

Likes For barnfind:
Old 07-17-20, 05:52 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Very nice ! The front wheel stabilizer is a nice bonus
Old 07-17-20, 07:46 PM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
I'm thinking of copying it, I can use a couple more stands here, I've got one older Park PRS-1 and I've got rubber hanging hooks over both work benches that can hold a bike by the top tube.
The cradle type stand doesn't damage vintage decals.
I'm thinking about making a few of these and putting them on wheels, that way when I'm done working on a project or need to do something else, I can just roll it out of the way without putting it on the ground or worrying about where I'm going to hang a bike that may not have both wheels on it.
Old 07-18-20, 04:11 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Home-made bike tools are cool with me. I, too, made my own stand and the creativity shown in the OP's creation is admirable. That said, were I to use such a bike stand, I would definitely spread the load on the gold clamp that holds the bike into the stand. Failure to do this might result in a dented down tube. True, you will not super tighten the clamp but a bit of leverage, when working on the bike, might place too much pressure on a thin wall tube set. Just a thought.
Old 07-18-20, 04:49 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I prefer to spend more $ on a stand that has a "famous" name on it!!😄😄😄😄
Old 07-18-20, 07:45 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
Nice

Nice stand!
Is that base enough to keep it from wobbling while you work, or do you have to weigh it down?
Old 07-18-20, 02:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
my experience has been that a spent a ton of money (more overall than just getting the stand i finally got) trying to make a stand that was as versatile, steady and portable as purchased stand.. My vote on this subject is buy and put the park pcs 10 at the top of the list..... ymmv

Old 07-18-20, 09:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my experience has been that a spent a ton of money (more overall than just getting the stand i finally got) trying to make a stand that was as versatile, steady and portable as purchased stand.. My vote on this subject is buy and put the park pcs 10 at the top of the list..... ymmv
Believe it or not, I've found one co-op with about four Park PRS-2's and 3's they want to get rid of too.

The pro stands may be expensive, but they're not necessarily the easiest thing to sell if you can find a shop trying to part with a spare. Undoubtedly has changed since COVID19. Probably enough stands and not enough bike repair staff.

-Kurt

Old 07-18-20, 11:14 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
I owned a bikehand brand stand once. Paid around 40 for it. It was in near new condition. Used it for a few tear downs, and a few repairs. It was a great stand for the money. Lightweight. Sturdy. Decent quality clamp and mechanisms. Folded down for compact storage. I wish I never sold it.

It beat the hell out of the gas pipe contraption I recently put together. Though this thing did serve its purpose and helped get the job done. It’s awkward, cumbersome, and limited, but it’s worlds better than nothing at all.

I’m keeping my eye out for the next fair deal on a decent used stand. And if nothing comes up after awhile, I splurge for something new. Having two bikes to maintain now, and an inevitable build in the future warrants it.
Old 07-19-20, 07:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I have Spin Doctor stand that my neighbor gave me when he was getting out of cycling. I never had one growing up or even as an adult . I don’t know how I survived without one! I do a lot more maintenance now on my bikes than I ever did before. I do 99% of all my own work. Besides the stand, I was given a cardboard box full of spare parts and bike tools when I bought a Campagnolo NR derailleur from a guy on Craigslist. He raced so in the box were some real nice tools , mostly Campy. I have , in the last few years seen the value of having good tools and being able to do it myself. Compared to building engines, bike work is fairly easy.