Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Delta Brake Pads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Delta Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 04:41 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Delta Brake Pads

The pads on my deltas are starting to wear and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to replace them without spending $40 a pair on ebay. Are there any other pads that will work with them? Any substitutions?
Old 04-08-10, 05:05 PM
coloneluw

Bikes: Colnago Super

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought they were $40 for 4. $20 a set. Not a bad price considering you are putting them on one of the most expensive brake sets around. Not sure if price should be an issue. That said, unless they have changed the compound/rubber used for the reintroduced pads, they aren't worth the "lowly" price they are charging. I know the brake design has a lot to do with the brake's performance but a good pad goes a long way in improving a poor design. Let me know if you find a better pad as I'd like to find a better pad for mine also. (do a search for delta pads. I asked about this a few months back and someone has put different pads on their deltas)
Old 04-08-10, 05:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
these were mentioned in a thread a few months ago. I think someone was talking about a repro rather than the stiff dried out NOS pads

coloneluw, these pads are different from all other Campi pads and while I have not priced them I am sure 40 for 2 seems right

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-08-10, 05:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Actually, I'm amazed but...he's right. It's $40 for two sets...which really isn't bad all things considered. My fear is that NOS pads will be dried out crap.
Old 04-08-10, 05:40 PM
mainducoyote

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Actually, I'm amazed but...he's right. It's $40 for two sets...which really isn't bad all things considered. My fear is that NOS pads will be dried out crap.
Most of them are current production new, not new old stock
Old 04-08-10, 05:59 PM
coloneluw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very aware of the delta pad, Bianchi girl. They are unique to only the two models of deltas produced. Along with there toe-in allen screws. My only interest is in the compound used to produce the new pads verses the original pads. I realized they are new pads and not NOS. But if the compound/rubber is the same makeup as the original ones were, then they aren't worth the money even though you have no choice. The compound used in pads makes a huge difference in braking performance. Modifying a proven, quality, modern pad to work on a delta would do wonders in improving their inherent design problems.
Old 04-08-10, 07:57 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Main...thanks much for the help. $40 for two sets of pads that are new production works for me!

I finally have the Deltas adjusted well and they stop as well as any brake I've ever used. I actually like their feel quite a bit (shocking!).
Old 04-08-10, 08:02 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I dont understand the toe-in allen screws. If the pads have built in conical washers for angle adjustment why do u need the toe-screws? I backed out the toe in screws on mine, set the height then properly adjust the up/down angle and toe. They work real well.
Old 04-08-10, 08:05 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
The ebay pads are probably OK. They've never been exposed to the elements which is what really degrades them.
Old 04-08-10, 09:11 PM
Force 

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
I bought genuine Campy Delta replacement pads from Ochsner USA for $33 before shipping. That was the cheapest I could find them. Looks like they are out of stock now, though. They are a good source for Delta small parts and other Campy bits. https://www.ochsnerusa-store.com/
Old 04-08-10, 10:09 PM
coloneluw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the toe-in screws where meant to be for quick adjustments similar to an adjusting barrel brake levers/calipers. Easier and faster than resetting the toe via the actual shoe housing. Remember, these were designed for the "elite" race teams who don't have time to hassle with constant adjustments. I don't recall the exact chronology of the deltas (mine are 2nd gen excluding protos) but I don't think the conical washers and the toe-in screws where introduced at the same time. Could be wrong but Campy was pretty well known for introducing changes mid-run and not informing anyone. I know they introduced a longer(larger?) washer later in the run to compensate for narrower rims. Anyway, they are pretty to look at but I'd love to upgrade them to new Records or Mavic SSCs and just put them on the mantel.