Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 11:36 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
The person that owns this has done some research on it and thinks this is a pre Equipe Centurion Cinelli . A prototype if you will . Good thing it's to big for me , I should buy it though , just for the fork .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Centurion-C...MAAOSwBfJcqprG

Old 05-02-19, 11:51 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
I had not heard about RAGBRAI till now. I looked it up and it looks like fun. That last day is the closest route, and is just a couple hours, if that, from me.
So, you're thinking what I'm thinking....
Old 05-02-19, 12:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

This model has always been somewhat murky. The decals had the logos as you see them, Cinelli and Centurion, but also had the word "PROJECT" on the logo, too, from the ones I've seen.

I've seen one in black, as well. The origins are not clear, and those who know aren't saying. Perhaps it's not worth commenting on, for them, or perhaps there could have been some fallout "back in the day."

If I recall correctly (huge "IF"), then these were offered via the Bikeology catalog, for a very short time, maybe even one printing. Bikeology was connected to Alan Goldsmith, who consulted for Western States Imports and arranged the Cinelli Equipe Centurion production with Chirico of Bussero, Italy, a deal sanctioned by Cinelli once they determined the size and placement of the Cinelli logos.

One shipping container's worth of bikes were produced, with what appeared to be decals applied in both green/orange and lavender/black (which cracked).

The Project Cinelli Centurion (If I have it right) was "out there" prior to the production of the 1985 models.

Julian Norwood of Chattanooga TN @afilado) had perhaps the nicest one I'd ever seen, in blue, in great shape. Some think that these were prototypes built and then offered by Alan Goldsmith via his catalog. No idea, but it would not surprise me. The black one I saw also belonged to a BF member, but I forgot his user ID or name; he's out west somewhere. He was a bidder on my 2nd Cinelli Equipe Centurion, but already having the black Project, he declined to stay in the game on the Equipe. He did send me a nice email afterwards. (I'd thought the seller was having me bid vs. a "phantom buyer," but when Doug sent me the email, he let me know his limit was $50 under what I paid, and he'd been for real).

I'm not sure if @afilado ever did figure out the tubing on the bike, but I think he sort of settled on SL for the Project, and then the Equipe came with SP seat posts on the larger models. It was a nice riding bike, if I recall, and matched up well with his RB-1.

The Project was, perhaps, the prototype for the Equipe, but I have no way of knowing, and besides talking to Alan Goldsmith, I doubt anyone will ever know, or if he remembers. His catalog, Bikeology, had some unique offerings, some only to dealers.

The placement and rotation of the logos, etc, were points of difference, but I think, back when these were being discussed, most agreed they were Italian-made, probably by Chirico (who made many a Cinelli frame), and likely before the agreement/contract for the Equipe. As Italian as anything, as nice a bike as most out there, and per my friend Julian, a great rider.

Originally Posted by markwesti
Old 05-02-19, 12:31 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
So, you're thinking what I'm thinking....
I think I am.
Old 05-02-19, 01:12 PM
markwesti

Thanks for the info RT
Old 05-02-19, 01:31 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
This model has always been somewhat murky. The decals had the logos as you see them, Cinelli and Centurion, but also had the word "PROJECT" on the logo, too, from the ones I've seen.

I've seen one in black, as well. The origins are not clear, and those who know aren't saying. Perhaps it's not worth commenting on, for them, or perhaps there could have been some fallout "back in the day."

If I recall correctly (huge "IF"), then these were offered via the Bikeology catalog, for a very short time, maybe even one printing. Bikeology was connected to Alan Goldsmith, who consulted for Western States Imports and arranged the Cinelli Equipe Centurion production with Chirico of Bussero, Italy, a deal sanctioned by Cinelli once they determined the size and placement of the Cinelli logos.

One shipping container's worth of bikes were produced, with what appeared to be decals applied in both green/orange and lavender/black (which cracked).

The Project Cinelli Centurion (If I have it right) was "out there" prior to the production of the 1985 models.

Julian Norwood of Chattanooga TN @afilado) had perhaps the nicest one I'd ever seen, in blue, in great shape. Some think that these were prototypes built and then offered by Alan Goldsmith via his catalog. No idea, but it would not surprise me. The black one I saw also belonged to a BF member, but I forgot his user ID or name; he's out west somewhere. He was a bidder on my 2nd Cinelli Equipe Centurion, but already having the black Project, he declined to stay in the game on the Equipe. He did send me a nice email afterwards. (I'd thought the seller was having me bid vs. a "phantom buyer," but when Doug sent me the email, he let me know his limit was $50 under what I paid, and he'd been for real).

I'm not sure if @afilado ever did figure out the tubing on the bike, but I think he sort of settled on SL for the Project, and then the Equipe came with SP seat posts on the larger models. It was a nice riding bike, if I recall, and matched up well with his RB-1.

The Project was, perhaps, the prototype for the Equipe, but I have no way of knowing, and besides talking to Alan Goldsmith, I doubt anyone will ever know, or if he remembers. His catalog, Bikeology, had some unique offerings, some only to dealers.

The placement and rotation of the logos, etc, were points of difference, but I think, back when these were being discussed, most agreed they were Italian-made, probably by Chirico (who made many a Cinelli frame), and likely before the agreement/contract for the Equipe. As Italian as anything, as nice a bike as most out there, and per my friend Julian, a great rider.
Fascinating!
Old 05-02-19, 01:40 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
I think I am.
This is like joining the gang without being part of?
I did it last year on a ride here and thinking on doing again
Old 05-02-19, 04:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Really digging that orange Turbo in the other thread. There is something about it that stands out. Could be the color. Sharp bike.
Old 05-02-19, 07:28 PM
markwesti

Good night , sweet dreams .
Old 05-02-19, 09:25 PM
seypat

I think that is the one. Out of all of the IMs, Turbos, Prestiges, etc, etc, that is my favorite paint job. Unless it is the Lilac Prestige. If the grey/silver Prestige was actually green as it looks to me in the catalog, it would be there also. This color though, WOW is it sexy! Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 05-03-19, 03:16 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I had not heard about RAGBRAI till now. I looked it up and it looks like fun. That last day is the closest route, and is just a couple hours, if that, from me.
How many centurion riders do we need to make this happen? I plan to ride every mile on my PURPLE HAZE but being a Ragbrai virgin I might be fooling myself.
Single day passes are still available, Here is the info https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/
Old 05-03-19, 05:43 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by phtomita
This is like joining the gang without being part of?
I did it last year on a ride here and thinking on doing again
I'm looking into it.

Regardless of the bikes used, would be great to do, ride with @76SLT again, meet @TXsailor and his Ironmaiden granddaughter.

Plus, a bonus with the Ironman bikes together; it advances the cult, makes people wonder what it is about these bikes? ( Ha. It's us.)

Talking with @speedevil about it, as well.
Old 05-03-19, 08:44 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts

Two of my grandsons but talking about the one on the left. I don't see them as much as I'd like. Only between football , baseball, basketball, swimming, and soccer seasons.

I'd join y'all but I don't even know where Iowa is. Sounds like fun though, maybe next time.
@markwesti where did you find the pics of the turbo?
Man, I'm in serious need of a project and the 54cm '85 Ironman is eluding me. So thinking I'll just keep adding dura ace parts to what I already have. I'll admit I'm a shimano man and since Dura Ace is tops in that line... I wonder what will happen once I get all my bikes equipped with Dura Ace, then what?
I think I've got some changes brewing for my '86. My '86 is set perfectly and matches my old Pinarello that I did my best riding on to a T... well except one thing, and that's the thing I may be adding.
As it is my '86 Classic has: Dura Ace FD,RD, DT Shifters, HS,BB and hubs.
600 brake levers, calipers, crankset, Seatpost.
The stem and saddle are original to the bike and preferred.
The aero bars are obviously Not original...but preferred.
It's very comfy and all my bikes are set up to match this. It's actually pretty rough paint (as bought) but because it's been clear coated it shines like New. It would be the last one I got rid of (unless I find a mint one, same size) and the one I'll give to my grandson when I can't ride anymore. (My grandson: Although I actually have three but only this one will get the bike. He's very , very talented. I know I can't pick favorites however he's just got it all. He can do just about anything he sets his mind to, sports, music, research. He's 11 years old but amazing. Smart, funny, good looking, and a quick learner. Plus he's super kind and nice to those not as fortunate. And then the kicker, he's an excellent boxer, kicker and grappler. He has little fear of anything and will fight the devil if he gets in the ring with him. I know , I know, he's my grandson so you think I'm not being objective. But I'll tell you when you meet him you'll walk away thinking this kid can be anything he wants and mean every word when you think it).
Anyways, back to my '86 Classic, changes are brewing, we'll see. In the meantime here's it's current setup.
Warning, don't ask me about my grandkids...also, apparently you don't have to, hehe.

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-03-19 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-03-19, 09:08 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 2,012 Times in 1,111 Posts
@texaspandj You could put some tubular rims on a pair of DA hubs and GLUE some nice tires on them while you wait for your Turbo.
Old 05-03-19, 09:12 AM
seypat

Did someone say 54cm 85 Ironman?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...868943609.html

It's a possibility. That's about 2 hours for me, but I do go to Fredericksburg ever other week. Rccardr is the Northern Va. contact. If you have the will we might find a way.
Old 05-03-19, 09:35 AM
seypat

Catalog says Cherry, but it looks more like Tomato to me. Anyway, I've decided that I will refer to this Turbo paint scheme as the Cyrus Turbo. Why Cyrus? Well, as everyone knows, Cyrus was the one and only. For me this paint scheme is the one and only as well. My question for the thread is:

Can you dig it suckas? CAAANNNN YOOUUU DIGG IIIIIITT!

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Carry on.
Old 05-03-19, 09:44 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Classtime
@texaspandj You could put some tubular rims on a pair of DA hubs and GLUE some nice tires on them while you wait for your Turbo.
Back when I first bought my Ironman I bought two sets of wheels. One DA clincher and a DA sewup. My thought was to ride the tubulars on club rides. But I never did. Instead I dissassembled the tubular wheels thinking I might build some other clinchers after I ran over my other wheels. But instead the LBS was able to save my wheel and eventually sold the hubs a few years ago.
Still race my sewup race wheels though.
Old 05-03-19, 09:54 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
Catalog says Cherry, but it looks more like Tomato to me. Anyway, I've decided that I will refer to this Turbo paint scheme as the Cyrus Turbo. Why Cyrus? Well, as everyone knows, Cyrus was the one and only. For me this paint scheme is the one and only as well. My question for the thread is:

Can you dig it suckas? CAAANNNN YOOUUU DIGG IIIIIITT!

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Carry on.
Haha. I saw that movie at the theater and now have it in DVD special edition. Did it originally have cartoon still pics in between scenes because I don't remember them?

Patrick, thanks for the tip but that's a '86 and looks like a 56cm. However, I could make an '85 56cm work.
Old 05-03-19, 10:24 AM
markwesti

@texaspandj , got it right here .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Centurion-T...p2047675.l2557
@saypat you are welcome .

Last edited by markwesti; 05-03-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 12:26 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Haha. I saw that movie at the theater and now have it in DVD special edition. Did it originally have cartoon still pics in between scenes because I don't remember them?

Patrick, thanks for the tip but that's a '86 and looks like a 56cm. However, I could make an '85 56cm work.
After going and checking the super informative IM info sticky, I see that I was mistaken. It is an 86. I saw it in the theater as well and have the Directors cut DVD. It did not have the cartoons scenes originally. On the DVD Walter Hill talks about adding/deleting some stuff to make it closer to his original vision. It was supposed to be somewhat of a fairytale. The cartoon scenes help with that. I don't care for the cartoon scenes. I guess it was supposed to be similar to Hill's later movie Streets of Fire.(another favorite)

Last edited by seypat; 05-03-19 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 12:47 PM
seypat

Here is a question for the thread, or maybe T-Mar. I see lots of high level bikes with Tange front dropouts, but very few with Tange rear dropouts. What is the reason for that? Is it because a lot of builders/companies used/ordered pre-made forks?
Old 05-03-19, 12:54 PM
seypat

Tex, I have an ultrasonic cleaner inbound. Do you know what that means besides clean parts? You wanted it, you asked for it, now you are going to get it. Battle of the frame weights. I'm going to strip my bikes down for maintenance. I will weigh them all, compare and start a thread about it. The forum can discuss it. We have the chart that was put up. We will see how that translates into actual frame weights.
Old 05-03-19, 01:05 PM
seypat

@texaspandj , got it right here .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Centurion-T...p2047675.l2557
@saypat you are welcome .
Thank you.
Old 05-03-19, 05:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Crazy people here.
Old 05-03-19, 06:35 PM
texaspandj

Crazy people here.
Read, this is where I belong.
Also how can YOU tell?
And, says the man in the strait jacket.

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-04-19 at 04:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.