Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

North County Trailway Question

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 11-16-11, 09:33 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Absolutely no rush on this, as this ride probably won't take place until the spring of 2012...

Anyway, I'd like my wife to see the northern section of the Westchester County Trailway one of these days. She's not much of a rider, but she enjoys getting out on a bike, especially when I find her a good downhill/one way path somewhere.

I haven't done the North County Trailway in a few years, so I don't remember exactly how hilly it was. I rode it from south to north, as far as Baldwin Place, which was pretty much the end of the trailway back then. But I do remember some good scenery and some cool little towns like Yorktown Heights, etc.

I'm thinking I'd like to find a 10-15 mile section toward the northern end that is:

A. mostly downhill or flat going either north or south
B. accessible to train stations at both ends

Can anybody make a suggestion?
Old 11-17-11, 08:17 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Why not start in Brewster. The trail now goes to around 1 mile from the station there. You could ride the trail south to Eastview, which would leave you close (and downhill all the way) to the Tarrytown train station. Problem is your total mileage would be closer to 40 than 10-15, but you could get in a nice rest stop at Yorktown Heights at around the half way point. FWIW from Mahopac to Carmel the trail is all wooded and you don't go though any towns if I remember correctly. The section from Yorktown to Millbrook is very nice as it takes you over the Croton reservoir. From Millbrook south to Eastview there is a short stretch where you have to ride on Rt 100.
Old 11-17-11, 09:00 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Accessible to train stations ?.

Not without a road trip. The Old Put was smack between the Hudson and Harlem lines, so your pick as to which line you want, with the caveat that using the Hudson line means a LONG uphill off the river.

As to hills, IMO the section from Lake Mahopac to Brewster has the most hills, that are not long inclines. There are a lot of rollers between Mud Pond Rd. on the north side of Mahopac and the final climb to Rt 6 just south of Carmel. As well, coming out of Brewster is OK until you hit a sharp climb up and over Rt 6 coming into Carmel. Going north is downhill from Carmel to just east of Rt 6.

One option is Metro North to Mt. Kisco, then Rt 133 west to Millwood (4.5 miles), then pick up the NCT to Brewster, last mile is on Rt 6, for another 24 miles, or 28 total. I have no experience on what Rt133 is like on a bike, but these stations are about the closest I know of near the NCT/PCT.

Steve B.
Old 11-19-11, 09:43 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I may bundle up and take a ride up there on my own this Sunday, just to check it out. Thanks for the input, Dawg and Steve.