Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carrying fishing rods

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carrying fishing rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-14, 09:35 AM
Hauptmann6

Bikes: Giant Escape 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carrying fishing rods

I like to fish and there are some decent places to go within 10 miles of home. The only trouble is, how to carry a pole or two without destroying them. Any suggestions? I'm pretty handy with PVC and other random things.
Old 04-30-14, 10:14 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Check out pathlesspedaled.com

On their first bicycle trip across the country, Russ fell in love with fly fishing. I think he has several break-down rods that he carries on their trips.
Old 04-30-14, 10:22 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Telescopic! Seriously.. I have 5 different telescopic fishing rods, from light light light action, to medium heavy.. the largest is collapsible to about 18" in length, the smallest probably about 12", you can pop them into a pump holder on the frame, put them in a pannier, strap them to the rack, have them in a pack on your back.. or even mount a short section of PVC horizontally to your rack, when I did this I took an old trashed piece of inner tube and a screw and made a stretch strap to hold the rod from bouncing out just in case.. worked quite well. If you want any specifics just let me know.. I love fishing and biking and combining the two.
Likes For RaleighSport:
Old 04-30-14, 10:39 AM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly I need to keep using the spinning rods I have. All break down into 36" or so sections. My fishing gear money went into a bike this year.

Raleigh, I would like to see your setup!

Now to figure out how to carry a shotgun to where I shoot trap!
Old 04-30-14, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Other than a 'Ronco' Popeil Pocket fisherman As Seen on TV Ronco Pocket Fisherman - Walmart.com

handy with PVC
PVC tube would take the pole and handle , easily , the reel may have to be packed separately ,

but the pole and reel makers are separate companies , that is not tough to do either .. they are made to fit .

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-30-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 11:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
It is pretty easy to carry a fishing rod on a bike. Here is my fly rod on my MTB along with U/L camping gear:

You could use pvc pipe if you don't care about weight or the lighter tubes made to slide over flourescent light tubes, but I find a cloth sleeve adequate.

The light tubes I mentioned are these:
Lithonia Lighting 4 ft. Fluorescent Tube Protector-TGT12CL4 R24 at The Home Depot
They are pretty cheap, readily available, and can be cut to length. You will need to make or find an end cap of some sort to fit, maybe a standard pvc cap or a wooden plug?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MTB2.jpg (105.3 KB, 368 views)

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-30-14 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-30-14, 11:29 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6
Now to figure out how to carry a shotgun to where I shoot trap!

Attached Images
Bike_Scabbard.jpg (40.6 KB, 352 views)
Old 04-30-14, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Plenty of people in my neck of the woods simply ride with poles sticking up out of old panniers or even a deep bucket attached to a rear rack.
Old 04-30-14, 11:35 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I remember reading once a guy put his fishing rod in his seat tube- don't know if it's really doable, but I thought that it was a great idea when I read it. Also, I don't fish that much, but I have the gear for when I have the time, but why couldn't one use an ice fishing rod? They're short, and strong as we've taken some big walleye, and even larger jackfish with 'em.
Old 04-30-14, 04:24 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fish with my fishing rods all the time! I simply attach a PVC tube to the bike rack using hose clamps. There are times when I carry 4 11' rods with me.

Attached Images
IMG_1692.jpg (88.6 KB, 357 views)
Old 04-30-14, 04:37 PM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
Fish with my fishing rods all the time! I simply attach a PVC tube to the bike rack using hose clamps. There are times when I carry 4 11' rods with me.

Nice setup. That's kinda what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it was practical.
Old 04-30-14, 04:46 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
++ on the telescopic. I have 2 and i use the one quite a bit. I used to take it on my motorcycle too. But you can always change the reel in needed. But i mostly fished for trout or panfish. And i never worried about where to keep them on the ride home. They were a great mid ride meal! I really enjoyed doing those little fishing trips when i was younger. In my hiking pack now, which will be in my panniers for touring with my wife soon. i have it even more broken down to using a pole tip, some line and i still use it for trolling trout. I have some yoyo auto fishing reels too. They are fun to put in place in the evening, then return back to get the fish...and off to the pan again!
Old 04-30-14, 06:02 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Hauptmann6
Nice setup. That's kinda what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it was practical.
That looks fine for riding a short distance to a fishing spot from home. It sounds like that is what you want to do, so it might be a perfect solution.

If on the other hand the goal was to carry a rod on long tours I'd do something else.
Old 04-30-14, 08:54 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
That looks fine for riding a short distance to a fishing spot from home. It sounds like that is what you want to do, so it might be a perfect solution.

If on the other hand the goal was to carry a rod on long tours I'd do something else.
Agree but I rode ~ 30 miles with that rod on the back that day on Marthas Vineyard.....no fish though
Old 04-30-14, 09:54 PM
manicmike

Bikes: Soma Saga, Soma ES, Salsa El Mariachi, Old Bianchi SS Conversion. Nishiki Cascade Beater

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
It is pretty easy to carry a fishing rod on a bike. Here is my fly rod on my MTB along with U/L camping gear:

You could use pvc pipe if you don't care about weight or the lighter tubes made to slide over flourescent light tubes, but I find a cloth sleeve adequate.

The light tubes I mentioned are these:
Lithonia Lighting 4 ft. Fluorescent Tube Protector-TGT12CL4 R24 at The Home Depot
They are pretty cheap, readily available, and can be cut to length. You will need to make or find an end cap of some sort to fit, maybe a standard pvc cap or a wooden plug?
This is what I use except mine came with end caps. Much lighter than PVC and plenty tough.
Old 05-01-14, 07:29 AM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5

That's awesome!

For taking fish home this style grocery bag works great. Throw in a frozen water bottle or two to keep the fish cold and you are good to go for the day.

DON'T buy it from this auction. You can get them at the grocery store for $3
Hot Cold Insulated Thermal Grocery Bag Shopping Tote Reusable 15" x 12" | eBay
Old 05-01-14, 07:39 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Latest "fishing" bike

Rods and tackle are actually in the pannier, camp stool mounted on the side for lakeside seating. I plan to build a chair mount for that one...

This is a more specialized example...

This guy is in the bag in the pic above...

Here's a shot of how the gear is carried on that one, note the rod in the pump holder and some tackle in the framebag with the emergency repair kit.

My last example

Made the "pannier" out of an old soft sided bag, rod holder is a length of pvc secured with bailing wire, bucket secured to rack via bungees, the rod holder in the pic is the one using an old innertube as a securing strap. The trailer in the picture is also part of the setup.. the box on the back of the car contains a float tube that I've been known to haul around in the trailer.

Converting a bike to carry fishing gear can be cheap to free, and quite easy. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-01-14, 08:47 AM
Hauptmann6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That's some good food for thought.

And nice fish!
Old 07-26-20, 07:16 PM
BFmotion3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Check out the Bike Fisherman...
bikefisherman.com
Old 07-27-20, 07:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Six year old thread.
Old 07-27-20, 08:18 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Six year old thread.
Yeah, the guy who asked is either long gone or has solved his problem long ago. That said I'll post on the topic again out of boredom...
I have found carrying a fly rod a great addition on backpacking trips. On bike tours not so much. For me at least I am likely to be riding all day and not very likely to be somewhere that I will wet a line at the end of the day. I am much more likely to need to deal with multiple states licencing issues on a bike tour. It gets messy and expensive and for me given the very limited amount of times I'd actually manage to fish on a bike tour very much not worth it on most tours. I can see where it could be worth it on some particular tour, but none that I have done so far come to mind. I have planned to do some off road touring where it would be fun, but have not actually done it.

Backpacking on the other hand I am likely to not only be in a single state where one license will cover the trip, but am likely to pass many streams and lakes during the day. I might actually hike with my fly rod in my hand in some places and make a few casts at every stream I see if I feel like it. Some places in the Sierras that was a lot of fun and there were tons of hungry trout in the many tiny streams. I actually caught enough to rely on them as food and saved enough in food weight to offset the weight in fishing gear in places like the JMT. Strangely the places where everyone was fishing (lakes) I didn't have much luck and didn't see any one else catching anything, but the places where I saw absolutely no one fishing (little streams) pretty much every decently presented cast resulted in a small but edible trout.
Old 07-27-20, 12:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Six year old thread.
Based on the user name of the reviver, I have to wonder if there's a connection to the website referenced.
Old 07-27-20, 01:35 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Drop Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman in your pannier and you're all set. (Look it up kids)
Likes For robow:
Old 07-27-20, 02:55 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Another Zombie thread resurrected. Ah well. If I'm going to fish after riding my bicycle then I take my telescoping fishing rod since it fits very nicely in even a small pannier and is totally protected and out of the way.

Cheers
Old 07-27-20, 08:27 PM
BFmotion3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Drop Ron Popeil's Pocket Fisherman in your pannier and you're all set. (Look it up kids)
I remember those Popeils TV commercials from the 70's
It's got some staying power !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.