Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

High speed jerks on a bike path

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

High speed jerks on a bike path

Old 10-01-19, 02:36 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You could always read a post before replying. I wasn't blaming the bike.
I did and this is what you wrote that motivated my response:

"So we're left with the universe of people who want to go unsafe speeds on MUPs. That universe just increased dramatically with ebikes."

Some people cannot read with comprehension and others cannot write with comprehension. If I represent the first, you most certainly represent the second. And on top of that, I did reinforce the notion of not "blaming the bike".
Old 10-01-19, 02:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
I did and this is what you wrote that motivated my response:

"So we're left with the universe of people who want to go unsafe speeds on MUPs. That universe just increased dramatically with ebikes."

Some people cannot read with comprehension and others cannot write with comprehension. If I represent the first, you most certainly represent the second. And on top of that, I did reinforce the notion of not "blaming the bike".

Come back anyday you want to misrepresent what I wrote.
Old 10-07-19, 05:25 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I figure I am your target. I do travel the MUP at 25mph when I commute, but I am polite, ring my bell to pass, slow down in congested areas, avoid hitting wildlife, etc.. I see schmucks on proper motorcycles buzzing 50+ mph on the MUP. Now that is a real problem. I also get passed by non powered road bikes often too.
Yes, it's a 15mph limit posted, but not so enforced.
Old 10-07-19, 05:48 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Jerks will be jerks no matter what. There are some lycra clad roadies around here that push 24mph and ride in packs without moving over for oncoming cyclists. It's not the e-bike that is the problem. It's the rider. And jerks are not limited to e-bike riders.
Those "lycra clad roadies" keep to the road for the most part and generate 100% their own power. Its not enhanced by an extra 200-300 watt electric motor.
Call the police and get some enforcement on the
path, for both electric and analog riders who ride too fast or dangerously. Cars can go 130mph and we don't ban that, we restrict and enforce, recognizing most people will obey the law. I'd love to see how you got that "90%" figure.....I'm willing to bet you don't even notice half the cyclists riding with motors because they are going the same speed as analog riders.
Not a valid parallel:

1) Driving is a privileged
2) Motorist have to take tests
3) Get licensed
4) Can be ticketed and penalized
5) Can have their driving privileges suspended and/or revoked.

With the exception of ticketing, none of these applies to cyclist.
Old 10-08-19, 08:16 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
^^^
Additionally, cars/drivers have to be insured in order to be legally operating on public streets.
Old 10-17-19, 02:47 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I don't like it that they seem to want to limit the speed on paths by limiting the bikes' capability. After all, my car will do 100mph but I don't drive on local streets at anything over 25mph. Just because I'm riding a Class 3 ebike doesn't mean that I'm going to ride at the rated max speed of the bike.

Of course, setting up a speed trap on a bike path is also problematic.
Old 10-18-19, 02:41 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Like anything, the minority of inconsiderate bicycle riders ruin it for the majority. It doesn't matter human powered/electric assist. They do speed traps on my MUP, just not all the time. Most bicycles don't have speedometers, but ebikes do. Bicycles have been on the streets longer than cars, however most car drivers don't know that or respect history. I like dedicated bicycle lanes and MUP trails. We all want to be on bicycles can't we all learn to be good to each other. After all, if we can't self regulate then someone else will regulate us that doesn't ride. Is that a good alternative for you? It's up to you to represent the bicycle community. I commute to work my needs are different from a road racer or mountain biker or fat tire biker.
Old 10-22-19, 05:05 AM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I know a number of people that have E-bikes, and they don't ride them so they can go faster. Many times I will ride in a group of people that are retired, and a number of them will have E-bikes. They ride them so they have a little assist on inclines or when doing a long ride, and begin to tire they can use the electric motor to assist. I think the idea that 90% of all E-bikers ride to fast is false. I have encountered more analog riders speeding just because there are more of them. Its not much problem for someone on a regular bike to go 20 plus mph. I think the whole idea of parks and other areas banning e-bikes is ridiculous. they don't make any noise, and as someone else mentioned they are only noticeable by sight. Many older people buy them so they can ride a bike. I think its like anything else. If there is something to complain about, even though the complaints are unfounded, people are going to complain.
Old 10-22-19, 12:17 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Alzerbster
I know a number of people that have E-bikes, and they don't ride them so they can go faster. Many times I will ride in a group of people that are retired, and a number of them will have E-bikes. They ride them so they have a little assist on inclines or when doing a long ride, and begin to tire they can use the electric motor to assist. I think the idea that 90% of all E-bikers ride to fast is false. I have encountered more analog riders speeding just because there are more of them. Its not much problem for someone on a regular bike to go 20 plus mph. I think the whole idea of parks and other areas banning e-bikes is ridiculous. they don't make any noise, and as someone else mentioned they are only noticeable by sight. Many older people buy them so they can ride a bike. I think its like anything else. If there is something to complain about, even though the complaints are unfounded, people are going to complain.
Your logic is flawed. E-bikes don't allow you "ride a bike." They allow you to ride a bike faster and with less effort.
Originally Posted by alloo
Like anything, the minority of inconsiderate bicycle riders ruin it for the majority. It doesn't matter human powered/electric assist. They do speed traps on my MUP, just not all the time. Most bicycles don't have speedometers, but ebikes do. Bicycles have been on the streets longer than cars, however most car drivers don't know that or respect history. I like dedicated bicycle lanes and MUP trails. We all want to be on bicycles can't we all learn to be good to each other. After all, if we can't self regulate then someone else will regulate us that doesn't ride. Is that a good alternative for you? It's up to you to represent the bicycle community. I commute to work my needs are different from a road racer or mountain biker or fat tire biker.
Exactly, And with the best designed paths there should be room for everyone to fulfill their needs.
Old 10-22-19, 04:16 PM
Alzerbster

Krane, your right, E-bikes don't allow older people to ride a bike. E-bikes would make it fun for some older people to ride, and if it isn't fun for those people to ride, they are not going to ride. I just needed to state that a little different. I just rode with a guy who owns an e-bike, and is 77 years old. He said if it wasn't for his e-bike he wouldn't be riding anymore. So yes, in a sense the availability of e-bikes make it so some older people can ride a bike.
Old 10-22-19, 04:35 PM
KraneXL

Krane, your right, E-bikes don't allow older people to ride a bike. E-bikes would make it fun for some older people to ride, and if it isn't fun for those people to ride, they are not going to ride. I just needed to state that a little different. I just rode with a guy who owns an e-bike, and is 77 years old. He said if it wasn't for his e-bike he wouldn't be riding anymore. So yes, in a sense the availability of e-bikes make it so some older people can ride a bike.
I get it, I just don't buy it. We've become a generation of lethargy totally dependent on machines to replace our muscles. In theory e-bikes do make sense especially for those that are extremely handicapped. But the natural state is to add way more assistance than you really need.

When I'm at the gym I see a room full of overweight 20 somethings with a single plate on the machine. This is less than the counterweight of the body part they're attempting to exercise. Exercise has to be a challenge to do you any good.

Maybe when they come with a computer that track the amount of real work your body puts into the mix vs what the machine is doing. That way you get to see how much value you're getting out of it vs the boost from the electric motor.

People will do what they want, and if fun is all you're after then none of what I said applies. But do the math, and don't kid yourself.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 10-22-19, 04:46 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by martinpagh
The electric bikes are not the issue, it's inexperienced and inconsiderate riders. Banning electric bikes from any bike path is a bad idea ...
^ This.

As with "inconsiderate" (unsafe) participants in most anything, it's far better to hold those folks accountable for their actions. Drivers who go 100mph+ on 50mph roadways, for example. Or litterbugs, instead of dumping on everyone who has a "trash" item in hand.

On MUPs, could add speed bumps that ensure anyone going above a given speed would be in for a rude awakening, yet where it wouldn't impede pedestrians or others who are going a sane and rational speed.

But I can't see much, other than enforcement of passing-speed requirements, that could have a prayer of corralling speeders and inconsiderate types. It'd take a lot of spying on folks, a snitch line for calling in deviants, and so forth. The $1500 fines for littering we see in some states don't seem to keep many folks from doing what they do. Likewise, I suspect "speeding" fines or much else (from an enforcement standpoint) would inhibit such people on MUPs.

Consideration for others just isn't ranked highly on many people's agendas, these days. Parenting isn't what it used to be, from what I can see. A lot of people simply aren't taught to be decent, when out and about with others.

At some point, likely there will be backlash from other participants (aka, the aggrieved parties), when "inconsiderate" types place others at risk. They'll be held accountable on the instant of their infractions, by irate people who've been run into, whose kids have been threatened, etc. Often won't end well, that sort of thing; but it'll put offenders on notice that a lot of folks won't tolerate the most-egregious sort of behaviors.
Old 10-22-19, 05:21 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I get it, I just don't buy it. We've become a generation of lethargy totally dependent on machines to replace our muscles. In theory e-bikes do make sense especially for those that are extremely handicapped. But the natural state is to add way more assistance than you really need.

When I'm at the gym I see a room full of overweight 20 somethings with a single plate on the machine. This is less than the counterweight of the body part they're attempting to exercise. Exercise has to be a challenge to do you any good.

Maybe when they come with a computer that track the amount of real work your body puts into the mix vs what the machine is doing. That way you get to see how much value you're getting out of it vs the boost from the electric motor.

People will do what they want, and if fun is all you're after then none of what I said applies. But do the math, and don't kid yourself.
Hey! Just chill out. Somebody wants to get out on an ebike..... what's it to you? You a bike nanny?

(Where is the dislike button?)
Old 10-22-19, 06:20 PM
Alzerbster

No Krane I'm not kidding myself. I have a lot of common sense, and I can clearly see why some people buy an ebike to ride. Like the 77 year old guy I rode with, and others that would not ride without the assistance of an ebike. I'm not talking about a 20 something that shy's away from physical activity and decides he wants an ebike because he won't have to pedal as hard. I'm referring to people with disabilities, or people of older age that have lost a lot of muscle mass, and they just can't ride a 25 to 30 mile ride with a group.

I purchased a bike about five months ago, and I decided to try biking to see if I enjoyed it. I don't ride a bike to commute, race or anything else. I ride a bike because I find it fun to do so. Most all the people I encounter on a rail trail are riding to enjoy the scenery, fresh air, and yes to get a little exercise. Basically they ride because its fun for them to do so. Whether you know it or not there are a lot of people that ride a bike for fun, and nothing else. I have a very good friend that rides an ebike, and she is not out to ride fast, as you claim people that own ebikes do. In fact most of the time she never uses the assist, and her bike is at least a 50 pound bike. She only uses the assist to help climb a grade, or finish a long ride when she gets tired. She is a caregiver for her husband, and she is 61 years old. She has been riding her e-bike at least once a week all summer, and each ride is at least 25 miles. Not all ebikers are the lazy speed demons you think they are. Some people really can't see the forest because of the trees.
Old 10-22-19, 09:05 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by trailangel
Hey! Just chill out. Somebody wants to get out on an ebike..... what's it to you? You a bike nanny?

(Where is the dislike button?)
Is that the way you handle comments you don't agree with? Its not about being a nanny, its my opinion. How about posting something useful. If I'm wrong, show me. I'll learn something new here today.

No Krane I'm not kidding myself. I have a lot of common sense, and I can clearly see why some people buy an ebike to ride. Like the 77 year old guy I rode with, and others that would not ride without the assistance of an ebike. I'm not talking about a 20 something that shy's away from physical activity and decides he wants an ebike because he won't have to pedal as hard. I'm referring to people with disabilities, or people of older age that have lost a lot of muscle mass, and they just can't ride a 25 to 30 mile ride with a group.

I purchased a bike about five months ago, and I decided to try biking to see if I enjoyed it. I don't ride a bike to commute, race or anything else. I ride a bike because I find it fun to do so. Most all the people I encounter on a rail trail are riding to enjoy the scenery, fresh air, and yes to get a little exercise. Basically they ride because its fun for them to do so. Whether you know it or not there are a lot of people that ride a bike for fun, and nothing else. I have a very good friend that rides an ebike, and she is not out to ride fast, as you claim people that own ebikes do. In fact most of the time she never uses the assist, and her bike is at least a 50 pound bike. She only uses the assist to help climb a grade, or finish a long ride when she gets tired. She is a caregiver for her husband, and she is 61 years old. She has been riding her e-bike at least once a week all summer, and each ride is at least 25 miles. Not all ebikers are the lazy speed demons you think they are. Some people really can't see the forest because of the trees.
First, that was a rhetorical phrase. Second, go back and read my post again. Your reply didn't fit my comments. I guess maybe you just needed to tell your story.
Old 10-23-19, 04:31 AM
Alzerbster

Is that the way you handle comments you don't agree with? Its not about being a nanny, its my opinion. How about posting something useful. If I'm wrong, show me. I'll learn something new here today.

First, that was a rhetorical phrase. Second, go back and read my post again. Your reply didn't fit my comments. I guess maybe you just needed to tell your story.
I really didn't see where I was telling my story. No more than you were telling your story about going to the gym. I was just informing you that people do ride bikes just because its fun to do so, and that people do buy an ebike to keep it fun. You seem to have a big misperception as to why a lot of people ride ebikes.
Old 10-23-19, 09:59 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Too much binary thinking always leads to the wrong conclusion. There are all kinds of ebikes and ways to use them. Benefits from exercise aren't all or nothing. You don't seem to have a grip on the way ebikes or exercise works, or the motives of the people who ride ebikes.

I ride an ebike for the combination of fun and exercise. I get both exactly the way I decide when I ride. I also participate in other sport activities, and I'm probably in the 95th percentile of fitness for my age. I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of unfit people riding unplugged bikes, so it should be no surprise to find unfit people riding ebikes. Both are getting some form of exercise. And it's really impossible except for the rider to have an idea how much that is in either case. They can feel how it affects their body. You as an observer cannot.
Old 10-23-19, 11:02 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
"BIKE UP!"

This is a new expression I learned this week. I heard it from a pair of apporaching roadies on the bike path, Apparently someone was trying to pass me, going uphill, and the space between him and the oncoming riders was not likely to be enough. Was it intended for me or the guy (also a roadie)passing? Didn't matter, I saw him in the mirror, so I slowed and let him pass.

Old 10-23-19, 11:10 AM
fly135

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
"BIKE UP!"

This is a new expression I learned this week. I heard it from a pair of apporaching roadies on the bike path, Apparently someone was trying to pass me, going uphill, and the space between him and the oncoming riders was not likely to be enough. Was it intended for me or the guy (also a roadie)passing? Didn't matter, I saw him in the mirror, so I slowed and let him pass..
The group that I ride with has an exhausting amount of things you are supposed to do and say. "biker up" and "walker up" are just two of them.
Old 10-31-19, 12:42 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Local paths, the guys with the huge quads are the only ones speeding around.. I think the walkers chatting it up four wide are our #1 problem here. Electric and spandex peeps not so much.
Old 11-01-19, 10:19 AM
fly135

One thing I've noticed is that my situational awareness is much better on the ebike. The harder I work on my regular bike, the more my focus is detracted from the environment.