Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best bang/buck truing stand?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 12:00 AM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My current need is occasional truing for my Giant Cypress DX hybrid. Looking for something that's going to be solid enough that flimsiness doesn't effect function and will make it as aggravation-free as possible. If for some currently unanticipated reason my needs change I can always get something else.

Is there anything that you feel will fit my current needs without going whole-hog on a Park Tool stand? Or is there just no substitute for a PT unit?

Thanks for all input.
Old 03-28-16, 12:39 AM
techsensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A stand is nice to have for building wheels, but for maintenance truing I just do it on the bike. For me, perfectly true wheels is unnecessary. As long as they don't rub and the overall tension is tight and even, that's good enough. The wheels I build never go out of true anyway.

Besides, the cheap stands are junk, and doing it on the bike is easier. So yeah, IMO there is no substitute for the expensive Park, although they now make a painted version for a wee bit less money.
Old 03-28-16, 12:55 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled for a used, good Park unit. You'll thank yourself later. Picked mine up for $70, and it's paid for its self several times over.
Old 03-28-16, 02:57 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Do you have a vise?
Best bang-for-the-buck IMO is a discarded front fork. One bent from impact damage will do fine.
Clamp upside down in a vise. Drill and tap some holes through the fork legs for long screws to be used as truing guides.
Use a discarded spoke, a chop stick or something attached across both fork legs with rubber bands to use for vertical true.

Get another steel fork and spread it by force to be used with rear wheels. Might need to file the dropouts a little wider too.

If you haven't got a vise, you can get a piece of a short, wide and thick board. Cut the steerer tube a little shorter than the thickness of the board. Drill a hole in it, sized to make the stump of the steerer tube a tight press fit.
With this base, it's probably still not steady enough to simply place on a table, but it'll be easy to secure by clamps.
Old 03-28-16, 04:48 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
In before someone suggests the Performance Bike Spin Doctor, which is actually a piece of junk.
Old 03-28-16, 07:36 AM
debit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
In before someone suggests the Performance Bike Spin Doctor, which is actually a piece of junk.
Really? I've built about 20 wheels on mine and think it's perfectly adequate. No, it's not as good as a Park stand but it gets the job done.
Old 03-28-16, 07:41 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by debit
Really? I've built about 20 wheels on mine and think it's perfectly adequate. No, it's not as good as a Park stand but it gets the job done.
In my opinion, it's the perfect example of "you get what you pay for". But if it works for you, congrats, you have more patience than I.
Old 03-28-16, 07:45 AM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turn your bike upside down, or take an old fork and mount it to a workbench with a vice
Old 03-28-16, 08:10 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert P
My current need is occasional truing for my Giant Cypress DX hybrid. Looking for something that's going to be solid enough that flimsiness doesn't effect function and will make it as aggravation-free as possible. If for some currently unanticipated reason my needs change I can always get something else.

Is there anything that you feel will fit my current needs without going whole-hog on a Park Tool stand? Or is there just no substitute for a PT unit?

Thanks for all input.
That sounds like you need a tension meter more than a truing stand.
Properly tensioned wheels don't need "occasional truing", unless in an accident.
Old 03-28-16, 08:44 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For truing a built wheel, I use the bike itself, upside down. I fit a couple of tie-wraps to the frame (fork/ chain stay) and use them as indicators.

Joe
Old 03-28-16, 12:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
My current need is occasional truing for my Giant Cypress DX hybrid.
Take the wheel into a local shop. Ask them to both true AND tension the spokes. Itll be a $10-20 job and take 20min. If they are busy you may have to drop it off.

A properly tensioned wheel which is true should last a long time. If its out of true within a couple weeks, take it back and explain the issue. Maybe its the wheel at that point and all the truing in the world wont get it to be good.

Basically, you shouldnt have to true a wheel more than once a season, if that.

At $15 per wheel visit, you would need to go 6 or so times before a cheap truing stand would pay for itself. A good entry wheelset is only going to be $150ish and if you are going in 6 times for wheel truing, something is up...

As for actual product advice- I have a 30+ year old park tool truing stand I bought used and its a pain to use. It speaks to their quality though that its still around.
Old 03-28-16, 12:34 PM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you handy? Do you have access to woodworking tools? Check out Musson's book & homemade truing stand. Mine cost $9 - for Musson's book. I had leftover plywood, etc., to build with, though.
Old 03-28-16, 04:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
turn your bike upside down
It makes no sense to pay at least 50% of the value of the bike on a truing stand.

Best bang for buck truing stand is called 'brake pads'. 0 buck, nonzero bang --> unbeatable bang/buck. And in fact, brake pads have always worked great for me. (One of my frustrations with disc brakes is my bike is no longer a truing stand)

Tighten the brakes with the barrel adjuster until there is some rub. Tighten the nearest spoke or three that would pull the rim away from the rubbing brake pad. Repeat.
Old 03-28-16, 04:52 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
A Perfect Truing Stand - Wheel Fanatyk
Originally Posted by dr_lha
In my opinion, it's the perfect example of "you get what you pay for". But if it works for you, congrats, you have more patience than I.
Is this the one you use?
Old 03-28-16, 04:59 PM
techsensei

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
(One of my frustrations with disc brakes is my bike is no longer a truing stand)
But the great thing about disc bikes is that your wheels can be very out of true and not rub.

You can still use your bike as a truing stand. All it takes is a zip tie wrapped around a seat stay or fork leg, and the excess end cut to act as the feeler.
Old 03-28-16, 05:06 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by davidad
$1850? LOL. I have the Performance Bike Spin Doctor and think it's a bit bollocks.
Old 03-28-16, 05:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by techsensei
But the great thing about disc bikes is that your wheels can be very out of true and not rub.
Yes, but riding behind my wife, it irritates me to see her wheel wobbling.

You can still use your bike as a truing stand. All it takes is a zip tie wrapped around a seat stay or fork leg, and the excess end cut to act as the feeler.
Yes, an even better idea (for me) I saw in another thread recently is to use clothespins. I am too stingy to waste zipties. (Although I suppose I could install them permanently)
Old 03-28-16, 06:09 PM
Robert P

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
It makes no sense to pay at least 50% of the value of the bike on a truing stand.
It makes sense if you want to learn to true wheels yourself for enjoyment as well as not having to depend on someone else to do something that's completely learnable, and don't want to have to make a minimum of two trips to the next town and back every time you want it done - there your bike is ready to go when you're done.

Last edited by Robert P; 03-28-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 06:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
In the end, the only thing that a truing stand does is to provide a stable place for you to measure from.
Old 03-28-16, 07:55 PM
bdumas35

Bikes: Brand X HT-01, 92 Bridgestone MB-1, Kona Dew, Trek 5200 USPS, Rocky Mountain Slayer, 98 Trek 8900 SL, Soul Halo Cruisers (2)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by melloveloyellow
Are you handy? Do you have access to woodworking tools? Check out Musson's book & homemade truing stand. Mine cost $9 - for Musson's book. I had leftover plywood, etc., to build with, though.
This is my version of the Musson Stand.

Old 03-28-16, 09:31 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
It's not the tool, it's the hand using it.

An old fork with a hole drilled in it and a bolt in the hands of a true craftsman will true a wheel better than probably 95% of riders, mechanics to maybe. Cost? nothing. Well, $2 bucks for two cool chrome wing-nut bolts with a rubber tips from Ace hardware.

BTW, in my many years working as a mechanic in bike shops as a young guy, I saw a lot of mechanics but only one wheel wizard. I was always mediocre at truing but that guy was brilliant. He could true a bad wheel on the bike better than dozens of other mechanics I worked with over those years on a Park or VAR stand. It was amazing watching him work.

Last edited by drlogik; 03-28-16 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 09:33 PM
Tunnelrat81

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a beautiful example of the Musson stand.

I've posted pictures of mine on here many times, and I clearly spent significantly less time on mine than you did on yours. It's obvious that your preference lead you to add the additional gauge parts, and it does make it more 'mainstream' in it's usage. Personally, I prefer the free hand / visual only gauging of the Musson stand in it's stock form. I feel like I can get a better sight on the gaps with a larger, black feeler with a white background. Musson actually suggests laminating the top of the platform for this reason. I chose not to, but there is a definite improvement when i slide a piece of white paper under the gauges while working. In the end, the important job of a good truing stand is to be rigid and consistent. Musson's design does an exceptional job of that, and however you decide to gauge the rim is up to you. That's the beauty of DIY. A huge thanks to R.M. And thank you for sharing your version of it. It sort of makes me wish I had a machine shop in the garage.

-Jeremy
Old 03-29-16, 08:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It makes sense if you want to learn to true wheels yourself for enjoyment as well as not having to depend on someone else to do something that's completely learnable, and don't want to have to make a minimum of two trips to the next town and back every time you want it done - there your bike is ready to go when you're done.
All that can be accomplished without a truing stand, and it's easier to use rim brake pads, since you don't have to take off the wheel.
Old 03-29-16, 09:01 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by drlogik
An old fork with a hole drilled in it and a bolt in the hands of a true craftsman will true a wheel better than probably 95% of riders, mechanics to maybe. Cost? nothing. Well, $2 bucks for two cool chrome wing-nut bolts with a rubber tips from Ace hardware.
+1 And here's a magnificent example.
Old 03-29-16, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Estate Sales.. you have to leave your stuff behind when you die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.