Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need Sram 1x12 drop bar shifter

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-15-19, 09:25 AM
6stringfever

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Put drops & ridged carbon fork on my Trek Procaliber 6. Need 1x12 shifter integrated with hydraulic brake lever. Using MicroSHIFT bar end now. It works but want to change eventually. Any idea where I can find what I’m looking for?
Old 07-15-19, 09:50 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Gevenalle has a kludgy looking option, but pricey, almost as much as a groupset just for a single brifter. Everything else seems
to be virtual at this point or 6-12 months out. Depends on the gravel racer demands I suspect. I assume ridged is phonetic for rigid?
I would not be surprised to be told of some obscure offering from the depths of a Chinese 'no-name' company available on Ali-baba
for a tenth of Gevenalle's offering.
Old 07-15-19, 02:02 PM
6stringfever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol it’s phatphinger. I’ll check that out. I agree It’s just a matter of time
Old 07-15-19, 11:40 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
If you don't need an integrated solution, Paul Component has a couple of things.

MicroShift Thumbies will mount your bar ends shifters like thumb shifters on the tops.

Or take SRAM MTN shifters and mount them under your tops with the SRAM Shifter Adapter. This Bike Yoke Triggy Splits Clamp looks similar, but it may fit a wider range if bar diameters.

Or you can go electric with something like the Archer D1x conversion, Xshifter, (or SRAM AXS mullet).

Maybe hose clamp a Problem Solvers Mismatch shifter adapter somewhere on your bar.

There was also an interesting mount that put the shifters inboard of your brake levers, much like the old WTB drop bar adapters, but newer. Unfortunately I don't remember their name and my Google-fu isn't working right now. It was innovative in that it didn't have its own clamp, but instead was held in place by the brake lever, sort of like the Shimano I-spec stuff.
Old 07-15-19, 11:49 PM
6stringfever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that’s a lot of good info. Thanks I look into all of that. In a perfect world, I could find integrated hydraulic brake levers that had 1x12 shifter on the right and seat drop on the left.
Old 08-14-19, 12:05 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Geekage
There was also an interesting mount that put the shifters inboard of your brake levers, much like the old WTB drop bar adapters, but newer. Unfortunately I don't remember their name and my Google-fu isn't working right now. It was innovative in that it didn't have its own clamp, but instead was held in place by the brake lever, sort of like the Shimano I-spec stuff.
One month later and I came across the product: Kelly TakeOff adapters. The pictures show regular downtube shifters, but the MicroShift thumb or bar end shifters might directly bolt on (at least the manual for the 10-speed versions look as if they do).
Old 11-26-19, 02:18 PM
GravAl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Archer D1x Drop Bar setup?

Looks like an idea could be going to the upcoming Archer D1x drop bar setup. Not much info about it yet but it is supposed to come out in early 2020. It looks like it'll be super awesome and you can use it with any derailer you want.

Since I haven't posted 10 times yet I can't paste the URL but if you go to youtube and search "Archer D1x wireless / bluetooth shifting drop bar preview" you should find it easy as that's the title of the video.

Al
Old 11-26-19, 04:13 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Both eTap AXS and Di2 road shifters will shift their respective 1x MTB drivetrains. So you can go AXS if you can afford it (Di2 is still 11 speed). What you want is otherwise probably at least a year out.

If you're down to go to 11 speed GRX has an dropper post rear option and Sram left shifters can be modified to work in the same way.
Old 11-27-19, 07:30 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
I've very happily used Gevenalle units touring for years now, but am not familiar with their hydro setups.
I ride sti and trigger shifter bikes, and the Gevenalle setup is intuitive and natural feeling, it will be faster than bar ends in real life use, as intended you shift from the hoods which is nice, but they arent as fast and snappy as sti shifters obvoiusly simply due to the ergonomics of having to move your fingers physically more to shift.

I guess this is going to come down to what you are willing to spend isnt it?
Sti setups are pricey, and I don't even know what options you have (the new "gravel" groupsets I imagine)

Unfortunately, you just dont see Gevenalle bikes around much, so not easy to try out. When setting up my tough touring bike, I took a chance and tried them, figured I would sell them if I didnt like how they worked, but I took to them in about a minute, and love them still after spending many months traveling on this bike over the last 3 years or so on multiple long trips.

other plus is that they are simple, tough, and have an inexpensive "rebuild" policy if you trash them totally--they were and are aimed at cross racers.