Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me not hate tubulars!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-06-19, 10:19 AM
joluja 
_______

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Ciocc Mockba, Zeus Victoria, Serotta CDA, Willier Cento 1SR, Pinarello FP Quattro, Teledyne Titan, Chesini Arena Precision 83, Denti Master, De Rosa 35th Anniversario, 3Rensho Super Record, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Klein Rascal

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 31 Posts

I am hoping to gain some wisdom from this esteemed group to help me reduce my disdain for tubulars. My last three rebuilds have required tubular replacement and the long and painful glue removal, new glue application, sore hands and mess. Does it ever get better? Are there some secrets of the trade to make things easier? I would love to hear your best secrets for tubular replacement!
Old 10-06-19, 11:07 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Removing the existing residual glue from the rim is not always necessary.

there is a totally tubular thread that has a lot of information.

aged tires get far fewer flats, the rubber becomes less tacky. 6 mo to a year- even more.

I will admit that the modern crop of adhesives are not as easy to use as the old standard Clement "red".

It's the way of things now.
Old 10-06-19, 11:19 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Quit being so selfish. Is it always about you? Tubulars are for your bike and if you really cared about your bikes...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-tubular.html
Old 10-06-19, 11:40 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,924 Times in 1,760 Posts
This will change your life:

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna/
Old 10-06-19, 01:31 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
+100 for this. I just cleaned the old glue off the rims and taped on a set of Vittoria Corsa Speed tubulars for my Masi build. The Effetto glue remover worked very well, and the rims looked as if they had never seen a tubular. The tape works just as well, maybe even better, since I don't have glue all over everything when I'm done.

One hint - leave a small section between two spokes without tape, opposite the valve stem. This gives you a starting point to remove the tub at the side of the road. With this small unglued/untaped space, you can often remove the tub without levers, put your spare on, air it up, and be rolling again in less than 5 minutes.
Old 10-06-19, 02:01 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If this is about flipping old bikes, and you don't like cleaning of the decades old dry glue; yeah, it sucks.

If you're riding tubulars yourself, problem solved by not cleaning off the glue. It isn't necessary. I rode tubulars exclusively for many years. Cleaned off the old glue exactly once.
Old 10-06-19, 02:34 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Heat gun for the glue removal. Sure, it still takes 10 minutes per rim, but the melting glue smell seems a lot less noxious to me than a solvent smell would be. As mentioned above, you don't necessarily have to do it every time you change a tire; just a use a new layer over the old if the accumulation isn't too bad.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 10-06-19, 02:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm not a tubular expert, but I'm hearing that there are some new tubular tires that are also "tubeless". That is, the casing has a thin layer of rubber bonded to the inside so no inner tube is needed. That lets you put in some sealant and in a lot of cases, just ride the tire until it completely wears out. That's what I'd look into if I ever got a tubular-shod bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-06-19, 03:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Tubulars: tape plus some sealant. Easy enough to change on the side of the road., no levers.
Tubular clinchers: some sealant. Supremely easy to change anywhere, anytime, no levers.
Tubeless: an air compressor plus some sealant. On the side of the road? Hope your sealant works.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-06-19, 03:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm not a tubular expert, but I'm hearing that there are some new tubular tires that are also "tubeless". That is, the casing has a thin layer of rubber bonded to the inside so no inner tube is needed. That lets you put in some sealant and in a lot of cases, just ride the tire until it completely wears out. That's what I'd look into if I ever got a tubular-shod bike.
Basically, that is the Tufo C S33 tire, and any "CS" by Tufo. Wears like iron, and now in 700 x 24, can approximate a harder 700 x 23 ride.

They will never ride like a Veloflex, but the tradeoff is worth it if you ride solo a lot.
Old 10-06-19, 03:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Basically, that is the Tufo C S33 tire, and any "CS" by Tufo. Wears like iron, and now in 700 x 24, can approximate a harder 700 x 23 ride.

They will never ride like a Veloflex, but the tradeoff is worth it if you ride solo a lot.
Psimet2001 says that some (all?) of Donnelly and all of Maxxis's tubulars are now tubeless construction as well, so it's not just one particular tire.

Source: https://www.bikeforums.net/20814612-post54.html
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-06-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 03:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Actually that is an old concept. Trying to recall the brand or brands at the moment. From the 70's.
I recall Tufo also does this. I have not used them, the color of the sidewalls - kind of a red brick color just did not agree with my visual target.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-06-19, 03:55 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by joluja
I am hoping to gain some wisdom to help me reduce my disdain for tubulars.
Does it ever get better? Are there some secrets of the trade to make things easier? I would love to hear your best secrets for tubular replacement!
I remember having feelings along those lines when I decided to use tubulars when I got into racing years ago.

Now I find pleasure in every aspect of them. Gluing them is predictable. It's a nice process. It doesn't hurt my thumbs at all; there's much less force involved than clinchers or tubeless.

Buy good ones. Stretch them. Read up where others have pointed you and watch a few videos.

I just used Carogna tape on a CX bike. I think it's amazing for CX; I'd never use anything else -- Carogna tape and a tubular tire without a tube. Beautiful combo.

For road, I still glue, because it's straightforward, lighter and less expensive.
Old 10-06-19, 03:55 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Actually that is an old concept. Trying to recall the brand or brands at the moment. From the 70's.
I recall Tufo also does this. I have not used them, the color of the sidewalls - kind of a red brick color just did not agree with my visual target.
I used Wolber Liberty tires for a while. They had the tube permanently sealed inside the casing. I think it was all vulcanized together. They supplied this injector thing which was a tube of goop with a hollow needle cap type thing. You were supposed to inject a blob of the glue into the puncture in the tire, and leave a plug inside. This would allegedly patch the tire. It didn't work very well. Never had one of those 'patches' last more than a ride or two, if that. I guess it was enough to get you home at least. I suspect the modern concept is much improved now that there are effective sealants.

I think @T-Mar mentioned a while ago that this type of tire goes way way back, like to the turn of the century or something, IIRC.
Old 10-06-19, 04:36 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Panaracer sealant. Used in tubulars remains wet a very long time. There are and have been butyl tubed tubulars in which sealant remains active for years. Leave the tube dry until first puncture. Expect sealant to repair large majority of punctures.

Modern tubulars do not puncture all that much. Not noticeably more than light modern clinchers. In many instances tubulars can even flat less, because the tubes are better protected and you will never have tubes failing by split seams. If your standard is Marathons, no, tubulars aren't supposed to compete with that. Cheap tubulars still puncture almost as much as in old days. Repeat for emphasis, cheap tubulars puncture easily and often.

The Tufo approximates old singletube tires. They don't have the tubular ride at all. They flat pretty easy. When I began there were still lots of riders using singletubes, which were then still fresh enough to use, but which were in fact dead inventory from 1940s. Old singletubes didn't ride great either, but clinchers in '60s rode bad too. The old singletubes got some comfort by being very wide, 32mm and up, and by usually being mounted on wooden rims. And they were basically free. Patch with a rubber band, some sulfur, a match. Paying money for a bad imitation of a singletube will not make life easier.

Very strange to first read about those who for unknown reasons wish to apply many layers of glue. Then read about removing glue. Just leave the old glue alone and be happy.

If you can shop at all top quality MSRP $100 tubulars can be had under $50 and often much less. Not that different from quality clinchers. And you don't need tubes. Has it been mentioned yet the good tire stretch onto rims very very easily. Not much need for pre-stretch or overnight inflation if you start with the good stuff.
Old 10-06-19, 05:32 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 06:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I think @T-Mar mentioned a while ago that this type of tire goes way way back, like to the turn of the century or something, IIRC.
I wouldn't doubt it! The bicycle industry is funny that way: aluminum frames, indexed shifting, disc brakes, clamp-on stems... ideas older than most people posting here that had to be tried, rejected, forgotten, and refined multiple times before they finally caught on.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-06-19, 07:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert

Modern tubulars do not puncture all that much. Not noticeably more than light modern clinchers. In many instances tubulars can even flat less, because the tubes are better protected and you will never have tubes failing by split seams. If your standard is Marathons, no, tubulars aren't supposed to compete with that. Cheap tubulars still puncture almost as much as in old days. Repeat for emphasis, cheap tubulars puncture easily and often.

The Tufo approximates old singletube tires. They don't have the tubular ride at all. They flat pretty easy. When I began there were still lots of riders using singletubes, which were then still fresh enough to use, but which were in fact dead inventory from 1940s. Old singletubes didn't ride great either, but clinchers in '60s rode bad too.

What Tufo are you referring?

There seems to be LOADs of confusion on the interwebs regarding Tufo.

They make tubulars for tubular rims. They also make tubulars for CLINCHER rims. Nomenclature is closely related and probably adds to the mix up (S33 and CS3 etc).

Both serve specific duties and may or may not appeal BUT do have advantages.

The tubulars are known for higher rolling resistance and harsher ride but are very robust. They had a run for the multi-sport tri crowd as that's one event a puncture will largely cost a competitor. Plus you're on your own with no support. Though today, its well acknowledged other brands are better riding, faster with equally robust tread.

Now for the Tufo tubular for clincher. These are exceptionally tough for its tread and long wearing. The assembly elevates out of the rim cavity. Because of the design, pinch flats are non-existent. In case of puncture, one cannot take apart or patch but rather the removable stem core allows sealant.

Other advantages of the tubular for clincher: if one does puncture, the tire will not roll of the clincher rim. Its SAFE. You can even ride deflated-- slowly and one will feel a slight bump by the stem.

Knock them or not, they're one of the few makes that have good quality from low to high end product. I've never had a lumpy vs. other well known brands.

Years ago Pirelli made a comparable design to the Tufo tubular for clincher called Gentleman.

Another, the Wolber Evolution tubular for clincher was not of comparable design to the above mentioned. The design filled up the rims cavity or well.

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-06-19 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 07:53 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Agree on the lousy color.
Old 10-06-19, 08:53 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Tubulars are awesome, till you get a flat, then they kinda suck. Still, great ride when inflated.
Tim
Old 10-06-19, 08:59 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Turns black in a very short time.
Old 10-06-19, 09:00 PM
shmuelyosef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would personally support hating tubulars...haven't used them in 20 years and don't miss them at all. I have been running GatorSkins (generally 23 or 25) on my main road bike since they came out...with thinwall tubes and I'm happy with the weight and the ride. I have NO fond memories of living with tubulars and prefer carrying a spare tube rather than a spare tire.
Old 10-06-19, 09:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Boxkite
Anybody have experience with Tufo Tape? I used to run Vittorias, 'Wobblers' (Wolbers) and really like Hutchinsons but that was over 30 years ago. I've gotten lazy with clinchers but might try some sew-ups again for giggles. Where's that Vittoria patch kit?
I like it.
Old 10-06-19, 09:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Psimet2001 says that some (all?) of Donnelly and all of Maxxis's tubulars are now tubeless construction as well, so it's not just one particular tire.

Source: https://www.bikeforums.net/20814612-post54.html
Never said it was.
Old 10-06-19, 09:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by 63rickert
The Tufo approximates old singletube tires.
They don't have the tubular ride at all. They flat pretty easy.
They don't (ride like tubulars or flat easily).
Not in my experience at all, and not in that of the other people I know who use them.
I'd be interested in knowing how many you've been through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.