Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reynolds DV3K?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Reynolds DV3K?

Old 02-20-12, 12:17 PM
Compsci523

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reynolds DV3K?

So I found these for 999$ on performance on sale. Anyone have any experiences with these? My LBS told me the spokes break or something but I'm not that heavy to begin with. Also, what are Reynolds hubs? I'm told that they are DT 240s but not sure.
Old 02-20-12, 12:40 PM
Jazzy Hands

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, CAAD9, CAD R1000

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a pair. I only have ~1k miles on mine, but they have had zero issues. The buds are DT 240, just branded with Reynolds. I got them for $850 from Competitive Cyclist, so $999 seems a little expensive...I think Nashbar or something had a similar price to CC.
Old 02-20-12, 12:48 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...AID=1011684834

Out of stock.

The ones OP found on Performance are clinchers, which are probably what he wants. The ones on Nashbar and Performance (for $849 and $899, respectively) are tubulars.
Old 02-20-12, 12:52 PM
Jazzy Hands

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, CAAD9, CAD R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine are clinchers. It looks like CC sold out.
Old 02-20-12, 01:05 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah CC did sell out..sucks. I wanted clinchers, no need for tubular wheels as I am not much a huge maintenance guy. How are the hubs in terms of noise? You think 999$ is expensive? I know performance has deals sometimes; free shipping, 10% off etc. But for around 1k I think they might be the best deal for carbon wheels. What do you guys think?
Old 02-20-12, 04:07 PM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CC, RealCyclist, and Bonktown used to sell them (all the same company). Nashbar had the clinchers too, Performance has always been more expensive, while the others have been $850-899. As far as I can tell, these are nearly identical to Reynolds Assaults, as the older versions used DT hubs, but the newer ones appear to use in-house Reynolds (KT?). Looking at the specs, I could only find a small difference in the NDS or DS (don't remember) spokes between the current version of this wheelset and the Assaults. The older version appeared to use DT, so that perhaps explains the original price vs. the current lower price.
Old 02-20-12, 04:09 PM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Compsci523
Yeah CC did sell out..sucks. I wanted clinchers, no need for tubular wheels as I am not much a huge maintenance guy. How are the hubs in terms of noise? You think 999$ is expensive? I know performance has deals sometimes; free shipping, 10% off etc. But for around 1k I think they might be the best deal for carbon wheels. What do you guys think?
To me, these appeared to have an initial high MSRP, the wheels were cheapened (cheaper hubs), and then sold through discounted channels at what looks like a steep discount. For similar money (since you pay tax at Performance usually), i'd look at:

-Psimet
-Boyds
-If you don't mind more weight, pre-firecrest Zipps for a bit more cash (but will likely be easier to sell down the road)
Old 02-20-12, 04:13 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just googled performance and they had them a 899
Old 02-20-12, 04:23 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
To me, these appeared to have an initial high MSRP, the wheels were cheapened (cheaper hubs), and then sold through discounted channels at what looks like a steep discount. For similar money (since you pay tax at Performance usually), i'd look at:

-Psimet
-Boyds
-If you don't mind more weight, pre-firecrest Zipps for a bit more cash (but will likely be easier to sell down the road)
Yeah my LBS said around 1500$ for older Zipps but I wanted full carbon not ALU breaking surface. I'll take a look at Psimet. Boyd, Williams, Novembers I already took a look at. I liked the November Price especially the Pre-order one.
Old 02-20-12, 04:24 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I just googled performance and they had them a 899
Tubular though . For everyday riding I'm not too sure about using tubs.
Old 02-20-12, 04:25 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
CC, RealCyclist, and Bonktown used to sell them (all the same company). Nashbar had the clinchers too, Performance has always been more expensive, while the others have been $850-899. As far as I can tell, these are nearly identical to Reynolds Assaults, as the older versions used DT hubs, but the newer ones appear to use in-house Reynolds (KT?). Looking at the specs, I could only find a small difference in the NDS or DS (don't remember) spokes between the current version of this wheelset and the Assaults. The older version appeared to use DT, so that perhaps explains the original price vs. the current lower price.
Hmm so it's not really a price discount is it? Just a bunch of marketing?
Old 02-20-12, 10:20 PM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Compsci523
Hmm so it's not really a price discount is it? Just a bunch of marketing?
To me it seems that way. It is still stupid-cheap for full carbon wheels from a well known manufacturer. From what I could find though, is that the previous versions were using the DT Hubs, and I really couldn't find much difference between the current DV3K and Assaults. Also it was difficult to find anyone selling them at full MSRP, so it seemed like Reynolds may have made/sold a bunch to Backcountry (Realcyclist, CC, DepartmentOfGoods, Bonktown, etc) and Performance (Performance/Nashbar). They don't seem significantly cheaper than Boyds, November, Psimet etc. So yeah, they're a great price, but also a good dose of marketing involved.
Old 02-20-12, 10:30 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't stand the internal spoke nipples.
Old 02-21-12, 12:14 AM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
can't stand the internal spoke nipples.
Not too picky about that. The thing that I liked was the price, full carbon and them being from a well known manufacturer. Would you say these are better than the boyd/november/williams etc equivalent?
Old 02-21-12, 05:51 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
internal nipples are dumb.

α
Old 02-21-12, 06:16 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Got my reynolds Attacks from Performance back in 2010 for $600 or so, during black friday. $1000 seems like an ok price for what you're getting, and keep in mind performance gives you 10% back so you'll have $100 to spend on something else.

Bonktown last had the DV3k clinchers for $824 on Feb 3rd. At that time they had 7 sets left, however they've not run the wheels over the last 18 days so maybe they sold them off to somebody else now.

Also, internal nipples could be annoying. My next wheelset probably won't have them, unless of course I score another black friday deal.
Old 02-21-12, 06:48 PM
Compsci523

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
Got my reynolds Attacks from Performance back in 2010 for $600 or so, during black friday. $1000 seems like an ok price for what you're getting, and keep in mind performance gives you 10% back so you'll have $100 to spend on something else.

Bonktown last had the DV3k clinchers for $824 on Feb 3rd. At that time they had 7 sets left, however they've not run the wheels over the last 18 days so maybe they sold them off to somebody else now.

Also, internal nipples could be annoying. My next wheelset probably won't have them, unless of course I score another black friday deal.
Yeah I did some research today about them, won't be getting the DV3k haha. Leaning toward Boyd 58 clinchers, the cx spokes and the new ghost look is very very nice.
Old 02-21-12, 09:28 PM
marc m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found them for $850, bought two sets. So far I've got 2K miles on at least one set with no issues. Super nice for the price.