Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pricey Century Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pricey Century Rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 01:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Pricey Century Rides

I read a few comments on a thread about $100 century rides. Really?

What's the most you have paid to participate in a basic, organized ride? Was it worth it?
Old 04-28-12, 02:12 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
For me, It depends on the type of ride. All my organized charity rides are different depending on the organizers. I have never paid that much for an entry fee, but I have done two day rides, like the MS 150, where the hotels and meals cost you more than that. I don't know about others, but every charity ride I do is worth it to me. I do between 9 and 12 a year.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-28-12, 03:38 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I usually pay $100+ for El Tour de Tucson. Doing well there is one of the highlights of my season, so it's worth it. I've also flown to some other rides that, while only $40 registration fee, with the airfare & hotels adds up. But I only do 1 or 2 a year, and they're special ones just to me.

Other than those, I don't really do too many charity century events anyways.
Old 04-28-12, 03:43 PM
rdubbz
Beefcake the Mighty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's the point. they're charity rides to raise money for a cause. if you don't want to pay that much, sign up for a road race and pay 30$.
Old 04-28-12, 03:53 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
130 for my last double century. Note we don't get food at rest stops either
Old 04-28-12, 04:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,036 Times in 4,474 Posts
There are century rides here that are around $100 and are not for a charity, rather, for profit.
The best organized rides for me are the few that are put on by local clubs and cost around $20. Great food and support and under 100 riders on great roads.

There is one that costs $50 that benefits the Boy Scouts, I like that one, too.

Last edited by big john; 04-28-12 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 04:50 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 04-28-12, 05:26 PM
turkey9186

Bikes: 2014 CDale EVO, 2007 System Six, 2004 Litespeed Solano, 2002 Burley Duet

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Napa Tour de Cure-$225 minimum buy in.
Death Ride-$135 plus camping fees for a week.
Tahoe/America's most Beautiful-$130 plus hotel.
Most of the other centuries in the bay area are $60-125.

The Death Ride is expensive due to police presence to close down 60ish miles of road and then truck in all the food for the rest stops.
Old 04-28-12, 08:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
How do you define a "basic, organized ride"?

What is included in that?
Old 04-28-12, 08:59 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Century rides can go 20- forty bucks. a couple of dollars for bars and coffee, a couple more for a mid-ride lunch break, and the rest for post-century meal and beers.
Old 04-28-12, 09:00 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
For the MS150 I pay $25ish, raise $250, pay for two nights hotel and a few meals. Worth every penny.
Old 04-28-12, 09:09 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rdubbz
that's the point. they're charity rides to raise money for a cause. if you don't want to pay that much, sign up for a road race and pay 30$.
Or ride by yourself and save the 30.00.
Old 04-29-12, 12:04 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the organized rides (not racing) for me have been charity driven so $100+ is normal and totally cool with me.
Old 04-29-12, 11:42 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How do you define a "basic, organized ride"?

What is included in that?
Does "Basic" mean cheap? Here's a pretty spectacular "cheap" century that is VERY well organized...

The Charles River Wheelmen charge $10 (member pre-registered) to $20 (non-member on ride day). It's limited to 700 riders. They offer food (bagels, PB&J, oranges, liquids, cookies [including Fig Newtons], etc.) and mechanical support from a local bike shop (Cycle Loft) and port-a-potties at each rest stop. Rest stops occur roughly every 25 miles. They provide SAG support and a sweep who trails the slowest rider. Then they offered ham and turkey sandwiches at the end. The only downsides? I had to pedal up the hills by myself!

The mechanic was fantastic. He bolted one rider's sneakers to his pedals (sneakers loosely tied so the rider could slip his foot into the shoe - he was a good rider!) while he adjusted my bungled installation of new derailleurs (front and rear!). The food was great and plentiful.

This must be one of the biggest cycling bargains in America.
Old 04-29-12, 12:16 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Most of the charity rides I have seen in MN and ND have a $25-35 entry fee and $100-$500 fundraising commitment. Those by well known national charities are usually well organized with lots of sponsors contributing snacks, drinks, SAG support, etc. I have seen a few with fund raising commitments of $1000 or more.

The non-charity centuries and similar length rides cost anywhere from $35 to $100. I don't have any problem with that depending on what you get for the money. If you're getting a well organized ride, with plenty of food and drink, a nice t-shirt, maybe some entertainment at the end of the ride, a few sponsor giveaways/coupons/etc. then $100 is not bad for a days worth of activity. If all you get for your money is a generic granola bar and a Google map, then not so much. Even the free club rides around here usually involve snacks, in store discounts, some form of award at given mileages or numbers of rides, etc. As well as competent ride leaders and well planned routes.
Old 04-29-12, 02:47 PM
cks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gran Fondo NY's registration fee is $240. You get some freebies including a jersey but the biggest perk is that there are cops at the busier intersections in towns in NJ and NY to handle the traffic.

I'm a little wary of signing up for charity rides because 1) I'm not fond of bothering my friends, acquaintances, and co-wokers to give $$ to causes they may have very little interest in and 2) some have just turned into mini industries with administrative and advertisement costs taking up a significant amt of "contributions". What I love is their "If you don't come up with the money (usually north of $250 around here + registration costs) you can't ride" policy- very charitable.
Old 04-29-12, 03:46 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dunno about basic but I paid like $250 for an event one time. The food was good and the roads were closed. Dunno if it's worth it, really, but I enjoyed it.
Old 04-29-12, 03:54 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I could ever pay to participate in a bicycle ride, charity or not... I'd rather put that money towards a hotel & gas money for a cycling vacation somewhere. Maybe if it was for a charity that I support anyway, but as of yet none of those have bike rides.
Old 04-29-12, 04:18 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends on if you are including donations or not. the century ride I'm doing in 3 weeks is a $25 registration fee and $125 dontation fee, meaning I have to have friends and family donate that amount or cough it up myself. luckily I had good support this year and got it easily.
Old 04-29-12, 04:30 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to ride a century? Get on your bike and ride for 100 miles. You should be able to do it on $10 (or less) worth of food and drink.
Old 04-29-12, 04:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
I don't think I could ever pay to participate in a bicycle ride, charity or not... I'd rather put that money towards a hotel & gas money for a cycling vacation somewhere. Maybe if it was for a charity that I support anyway, but as of yet none of those have bike rides.
I'm not all that interested in the charity rides, but I am a member of Audax Australia (and have been a member of other clubs in the past), and there's usually a fee for the events. I don't mind because I want to participate in something ... be part of something bigger ... take on this sort of challenge.

In Audax Australia, a basic event is one where the organiser chooses an appropriate start/finish area that has some facilities, the organiser or another volunteer turns up at the start, and possibly at the finish, checking lights, helping with registration, and possibly providing a bowl of bananas or something, but the ride is unsupported. Those rides are quite inexpensive.

If the organiser provides support, the cost of the ride goes up.
Old 04-29-12, 07:48 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My club (Narragansett Bay Wheelmen) does "The Flattest Century in the East" every September. Costs $25 for members, $35 for non-members. I think we have a 2000 rider limit.

Entry fee for my BikeMS ride (Cape Cod Getaway, 100 miles day 1 and 75 day 2) was $50, with a $500 fund raising commitment. I raised that in less than an hour. I'm fortunate because I live 5 miles from where day 1 ends. No need for a motel.
Old 04-29-12, 10:19 PM
c_bake

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
+1
These types of rides have become too expensive plus too many inexperienced riders. I pay $25 a year for a cycling club membership plus another $20? a year for a RUSA membership and enjoy riding centuries on up to 600k with them any weekend of the year.

I've always wondered how much money paid to the organization actually goes to the cause.

Last edited by c_bake; 04-29-12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 12:32 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I read a few comments on a thread about $100 century rides. Really?

What's the most you have paid to participate in a basic, organized ride? Was it worth it?
If you have to travel to get to the ride, spending many hundreds or even over a grand is certainly possible once you count in all your costs. I wouldn't do it if it weren't worth it.

Originally Posted by c_bake
+1
These types of rides have become too expensive plus too many inexperienced riders....

I've always wondered how much money paid to the organization actually goes to the cause.
The good rides are run by local clubs that tell you what they give to the causes. One of the things I like about more challenging courses and crappy weather is you don't have to play dodge 'em with people who are unaccustomed to riding with others.
Old 05-01-12, 12:52 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's not a century ride, but the "winner" in terms of dollars / mile has got to be the Mt. Washington Hill Climb.

Current entry fee is $350.00 for a 7.6 mile ride, which comes out to $46.05 / mile -- or, if you prefer -- $0.87 / foot.

The ride does benefit the Tin Mountain Foundation, so technically it's a charity ride, you're allowed to tax-deduct the contribution, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.