Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Scared of Mexico?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Scared of Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 11:52 PM
Dubzo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scared of Mexico?

Yes, I've read the travel advisory. And yes, I watch the news. Heck, I even read
the news.
I also read journal accounts of bike tourists transiting Mexico. Without incident. I don't feel terribly concerned about cycling from Arizona to Chiapas, but my family and partner certainly are worried.
Is anyone out there cancelling their bike tour of Mexico due to the escalating violence there?
Is anyone NOT cancelling and going ahead sometime this year?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-12, 01:33 PM
Lake_Tom
Avoid trauma

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros (my baby), 1994 Trek 930, Raleigh Twenty Folding Bike (For Sale)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would only go there if I was ordered to. My company issues travel advisories for employees traveling to the plant in Monterrey. My employer says to call ahead to arrange for a designated taxi to pick us up at the airport. Otherwise, you get mugged or kidnapped.

Someday, when Americans quit buying drugs, the profit motive will go away and the gangs will disappear.
Old 02-22-12, 02:07 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Unless you plan on hanging out with the narcos, there is no reason your family should be afraid of your traveling to Mexico. I've said it before, those guys deal with millions of dollars and are not into harassing foreign bicycle tourists on Mexican roads. The area south of Arizona is perfectly safe. Are you aware that the governor of Arizona recently declared that it was perfectly OK to travel to the Mexican state of Sonora? The things you need to be concerned about are dogs, the heat (if you start your trip after April 15). Always be off the road by sunset. Plan on keeping a blog to show your family how much fun you're having and buy a Mexican cell phone (they're quite inexpensive) so they can be in touch with you in the evenings. I-15 from Nogales is a 2-laner each way but has many sections with no shoulder and very high-speed traffic. You'll get more shoulder space once you arrive in Sinaloa. So, avoid being on the roads on Semana Santa, for example, when there is more traffic on the roads and more drunk drivers. There are some really boring stretches of road, especially between Ciudad Obregon and Culiacan with only agricultural fields. Don't forget to visit the Copper Canyon area.

When are you thinking of doing your trip?
Old 02-22-12, 02:40 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lake_Tom
My employer says to call ahead to arrange for a designated taxi to pick us up at the airport. Otherwise, you get mugged or kidnapped.
Hyperbole

Originally Posted by Lake_Tom
Someday, when Americans quit buying drugs, the profit motive will go away and the gangs will disappear.
Lol, you can't be serious?
Old 02-22-12, 02:46 PM
keenancook

Bikes: 2000 Specialized FSR, 2008 Cannondale T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2008 I cycled Mexico, and before entering all throughout California we had people warning us about the danger. We thought it couldn't be too bad - we cycled the Baja, crossed to the mainland to Chiapas before entering Guatemala. We didn't have a single security concern, and had nothing but great experiences everywhere we went.

Now, I know that things have changed in the past few years, and drug and gang violence has increased tremendously. But if you still look at the numbers, Mexico is not that dangerous compared with many places, outside of a few cities there. The homicide rates in places like the Baja Sur, Oaxaca, Puebla, Queretaro, and the Yucutan are all lower than the US National average. The Mexican national average last year was approx 14 homicides per 100,000. If you adjust that by removing combatants in the drug war (gang members and law enforcement) it drops to 7.2. The national average I found for the US was 6.8. Detroit has an average of 34.5, St. Louis is 40.5, and New Orleans is 49.1. Even with the drug war in Mexico, the overall homicide rate is almost one quarter that of New Orleans. The US State Department certainly doesn't put out a travel advisory against southern Louisiana though. I know when you compare a national average with one city it's not really fair, but I don't think basing your entire opinion on a country on a few sensationalized headlines is very fair either.

I would avoid cities like Juarez, but does that make the entire country unsafe? From Arizona, if you went down the Baja, crossed to Mazatlan and then went inland taking the highlands through to Chiapas, from the quick math I did your overall homicide rate would be less than the US national average... Not saying it's completely safe, but just giving you some food for thought...
Old 02-22-12, 03:02 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Unless you plan on hanging out with the narcos, there is no reason your family should be afraid of your traveling to Mexico. I've said it before, those guys deal with millions of dollars and are not into harassing foreign bicycle tourists on Mexican roads. The area south of Arizona is perfectly safe. Are you aware that the governor of Arizona recently declared that it was perfectly OK to travel to the Mexican state of Sonora?
Deferring to your on-site observations, I deleted my 'media induced' hysteria post. Kidnappers, even in Mexico, surly would target a more potentially profitable target than a cyclist.

Last edited by Cyclebum; 02-22-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 03:22 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not too concerned about the news reports, but I will pay attention to official reports and advisories. Here is the Canadian government's advisory for the Mexico-United States border:

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the border areas between Mexico and the United States, due to continuously high levels of violence linked to organized crime in those areas.

Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico’s northern border by land and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety. Shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. Criminals especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks for theft and carjacking along highways in the states of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sonora, and Sinaloa.

Travellers should also avoid travelling by land to or through these border states and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, and after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety.
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada does not issue such warnings lightly, so I will take it seriously. A lower warning is in place for those who are traveling elsewhere within Mexico.
Old 02-22-12, 03:26 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So why would the criminals who "especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks" be interested in a guy on a bike?
Old 02-22-12, 03:41 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by contango
So why would the criminals who "especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks" be interested in a guy on a bike?
"Especially" is not the same as "exclusively." If a guy on a bike looks as if he may have money or something easily worth selling, he may be a target.
Old 02-22-12, 04:03 PM
keenancook

Bikes: 2000 Specialized FSR, 2008 Cannondale T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada does not issue such warnings lightly, so I will take it seriously. A lower warning is in place for those who are traveling elsewhere within Mexico.
I see what you're saying, but I don't know if I completely agree that they don't issue these warnings lightly. They issue warnings when there are potential dangers, as there are in so many places. If you go with only what DFAIT advisories, you're not going to be going many places. They also have 'avoid all non-essential travel' and 'avoid all travel' warnings up for Guatemala (including Tikal, they say), Panama, Ecuador, and Peru. There was drug-related murders in La Libertad, Guatemala in May 2011 so they recommend no travel to the northern half of the country still to this day. I understand that's their job, to notify us of any potential dangers, but I think many travellers would argue that they issue those warnings quite lightly...
Old 02-22-12, 04:06 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"Especially" is not the same as "exclusively." If a guy on a bike looks as if he may have money or something easily worth selling, he may be a target.
Sure, but when I'm on my bike I usually don't look like I've got much of anything, let alone money. I guess if you're riding a $10,000 bike with a gold watch clearly visible then you're more likely to become a target, but the solution to that problem is pretty much implied in the description of it.
Old 02-22-12, 04:48 PM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In general, the people who tell others not to go somewhere are those who refuse to go themselves. Consequently, they've never been and really are not qualified to give an opinion.

It is certainly true that some people have difficulties in Mexico. In my experience, the people I've met who got in trouble were doing things that created the possibility for trouble. Excessive drink, drugs, and other illicit or downright stupid activities invite trouble - anywhere in the world. Mexico is no different. Just because some of the rules are different than at home doesn't mean that there are no rules at all.

Stay away from those things and, chances are, trouble will stay away from you.

The title of this thread, "Scared of Mexico?", is apt. We naturally fear what we do not know. We fear the unfamiliar. Mexico is different from what we know, so it makes us a little nervous. That's a good thing. Life would be awfully boring if we didn't do anything that made us a little nervous.
Old 02-22-12, 05:28 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

The only reason why the narcos steal SUV and pick-up trucks is because they use those rugged vehicles to run their loads across deserts and mountains. They use them for a while and move on to another similar vehicle so they can't be easily tracked. Most of the time they get rid of the used vehicle in the middle of nowhere or burn it down somewhere. Given the millions of dollars they deal with, they have no interest whatsoever in stealing/selling a bicycle and other belongings from gringos apestosos (stinking gringos.) That's how most people view many cycling tourists who ride across the desert camping with very little opportunities for showering. Most Mexicans can't tell a nice bike from a cheap one. Their idea of a nice bike, however, is an aluminum MTB in bold colors with tons of suspension. If your bike and belongings get stolen here, it will be an act committed by a petty criminal (bikes get stolen everywhere, you know! Just ask someone in any city in Canada, the U.S. or Europe), not by a narco guy on the highway. Who knows maybe one of these days the narcos decide to go "green" and run their loads in the mountains using Surly Pugsleys and Salsa Mukluks w/ Ortlieb panniers packed to the gills, so stealing bikes will become more attractive. But until that day arrives, cyclists are safe from the narco dealings and violence here.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 02-22-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-22-12, 05:41 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Gangs, psycho-killers, and wild animals pose very little risk to bicycle tourists. What does pose a significant danger is motorized vehicles.
Old 02-22-12, 05:55 PM
Chris Pringle

Originally Posted by BigAura
Gangs, psycho-killers, and wild animals pose very little risk to bicycle tourists. What does pose a significant danger is motorized vehicles.
Concur. As far as that goes, drivers here watch out for cyclists on the road more than in many places I've ridden in the U.S. (have never ridden in Canada.) Tons of people still use the bicycle as their main means of transportation with no lights, reflectors, safety vests or anything. So, in general, car drivers are more aware of them. The other thing I've noticed is how much encouragement they give you here. They say hi and honk when they pass you by or yell "ánimo" (cheer up!) as you ride up a hill. Reminds me very much of Italy in that respect. The only thing they don't do is opening the car doors carefully, so be careful not to get doored as you travel through busy streets in towns or cities.
Old 02-22-12, 06:51 PM
JeanSeb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Chris for your input. I may be touring around Mexico later this year, and of course my family is more worried than I am.
Old 02-22-12, 07:01 PM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
The only reason why the narcos steal SUV and pick-up trucks is because they use those rugged vehicles to run their loads across deserts and mountains. They use them for a while and move on to another similar vehicle so they can't be easily tracked. Most of the time they get rid of the used vehicle in the middle of nowhere or burn it down somewhere. Given the millions of dollars they deal with, they have no interest whatsoever in stealing/selling a bicycle and other belongings from gringos apestosos (stinking gringos.)
Originally Posted by BigAura
Thanks for the explanation.

As far as the danger from motorized vehicles, it's a potential problem on a lot of roads, in a lot of areas. In areas where I've ridden, that's always been the most serious hazard I've faced — even in areas where wildlife can be a problem.

I should also explain something I mentioned earlier. When Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada issues a travel advisory or warning, I'll take it seriously. That doesn't mean I'll avoid going to an area, but I will do what I can to educate myself and prepare for what I could face. But that's also how I travel almost anywhere. Before I begin, I'll try to learn something about the area. If I'm taking a trip, I want to have at least a bit of an idea what I can expect along the way.
Old 02-22-12, 07:05 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mexico is a nice, no worse than any other country ive been to.
Old 02-22-12, 07:47 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Mexico is no different than the US or most other countries. There are places you want to go and places you should avoid. I spend a lot of time in Mpls/St. Paul and there are neighborhoods where I wouldn't want to be out on an expensive bike and you sure as heck wouldn't want to be wearing spandex. That doesn't mean that there isn't a huge cycling community there with many miles of roads and trails, scenic city scapes and lake shore paths to enjoy. You just have to know where to go. Check with people who have been there before you and stick to the low risk areas.
Old 02-22-12, 08:37 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I was in Mexico less than a month ago for 16 days, no biking this time. Half the time I was in Oaxaca state, half the time around Mexico City, Taxco, & Tepoztlan. I have biked in Mexico in the past, in the Yucatan, Michoacan, & Chiapas. Some areas that I have visited on and off the bike in the past have serious narco problems now and I have to admit, I probably won't return to those parts anytime soon. That includes the states of Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, and Michoacan, plus coastal Veracruz. I visited Veracruz just 13 months ago before all hell broke loose there.

If you read past discussions in this forum about biking in Mexico, you'll see that I was pretty positive about it. I still love the country and the people, the vast majority of whom are fantastically kind, friendly, and good-natured. At this time, however, I would be very concerned about reports of drug cartels setting up roadblocks in various places in the northern third of Mexico. Personally, the only part of northern Mexico I'd consider for biking now is Baja. South of Mexico City is another story. Most of that remains pretty peaceful.
Old 02-23-12, 10:09 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend that was abducted while bike touring in Mexico. She was riding from Villa Santo Domingo in San Luis Potosi to the city of Zacatecas in the state of Zacatecas when she was kidnapped at gunpoint. She wrote about it on her blog:

https://www.marpsinmexico.blogspot.co...secuestro.html

She told me about this right before I left for an 8 month tour through South America. I tend not to worry about travel danger too much, but this definitely spooked me.

I would still tour in Mexico, but I would be sure to do research about what areas can be dangerous. Local knowledge can be really important on this front. I wouldn't travel through Mexico if I didn't speak spanish for this reason.

I agree one should not write off a whole country because some spots are dangerous, just be aware that bad things can happen to cyclists too.
Old 02-23-12, 10:43 AM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing I've learned in my travels around the world is that a high proportion of people are scared of their neighbors. In Australia, they warned me about the dangers of Indonesia. In Indonesia they told me to be careful in Thailand. The Thais couldn't believe I planned to travel in Myanmar, and on and on and on.

When I go to Canada, people want to talk about the dangers of the USA. In the USA people are terrified of Mexico. And yes, Mexicans think Guatemala is dangerous.

What I also notice is that despite these terrors, most people are convinced that their own country is perfectly safe.

Can anyone promise you you'll come to no harm in Mexico? Nope. Something terrible could happen. Or, you could be mugged in your home town. Or you could slip in the shower and get hurt that way.

But you probably won't.
Old 02-23-12, 10:44 AM
Dubzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm looking to leave April 16 from the Bay Area. I would guess I'll be in Nogales around May 10. (Hot already, yes.) I hope to aim for smaller roads through the Sierra Madre Occidental, taking advantage of altitude to leave some of the higher temps behind.
Old 02-23-12, 11:07 AM
Chris Pringle

Originally Posted by Dubzo
Chris,
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm looking to leave April 16 from the Bay Area. I would guess I'll be in Nogales around May 10. (Hot already, yes.) I hope to aim for smaller roads through the Sierra Madre Occidental, taking advantage of altitude to leave some of the higher temps behind.
If you're leaving from the Bay Area, you should consider riding to Tecate (this way you go around TJ) then on to Ensenada, do all Baja (as hot as AZ and Sonora anyway but much safer) and then take the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan. From here you continue south to Guadalajara or following the coastal cities. If you'll be in Mazatlan in late May/early June, I should be able to host you for a couple of nights at our place.
Old 02-23-12, 11:08 AM
Newspaperguy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Connell
Can anyone promise you you'll come to no harm in Mexico? Nope. Something terrible could happen. Or, you could be mugged in your home town. Or you could slip in the shower and get hurt that way.
That reminded me about an experience while touring in Costa Rica a few years ago. I had been warned about bad drivers and the possibility of malaria in one region of the country. There are poisonous spiders and poisonous snakes as well as other animal hazards. There are potential hazards from the heat and the direct light of the tropical sun. None of those things went wrong in two weeks and around 1,200 kilometres on narrow, winding roads. The only mishap came when I slipped in a shower and needed several stitches above my left eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.