Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

MRI: Partial hamstring tear

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 11:29 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been waiting for weeks to get an MRI to learn why I have various types bi-lateral hip pain. This began in November after a long (90-minute) vigorous walk. At that same time, I also began experiencing sharp pain whenever I raised my left knee against resistance on or off the bike (probably an irritation of the rectus femoris tendon) and sharp pain in the groin.

Today I got the MRI report: Partial tear of the LEFT hamstring. From what I've read so far, this sounds like a grade 2 tear.

I cannot walk long distances without pain in that area (base of the glutes), even a short distance to and from a store. I am seeing a doctor and doing numerous core exercises in addition to daily stretching of tight hip flexors. I am allowed to do anything that doesn't cause pain, but it's impossible to completely avoid any walking from point A to point B.

QUESTION: Has anyone fully recovered from a partial hamstring tear and resumed riding without problems? I am concerned this may be a long-term chronic problem.

In 2011 I had bi-lateral tennis elbow, and now this!!!
Old 01-22-13, 03:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.
Old 01-22-13, 02:24 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This may not apply to your situation because I was young at the time but.....I tore my hamstring pretty good playing football in college in the mid-60's. I've never had a problem (actually played another year of football) with it and especially not cycling.
Same here, except mine was playing high school basketball. The sheath ripped asunder and it still bulges when the muscle is flexed.

I never fully appreciated how quickly I healed when I was young. I sure miss that now. At least I've gotten better about not injuring myself as often as I've gotten, ahem, more experienced.
Old 01-22-13, 06:26 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.
Old 01-22-13, 08:35 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies.

Originally Posted by jdon
Yes and it is a long road to recovery if you are trying to avoid surgery.
Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.
Old 01-22-13, 08:56 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Yen,
I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-22-13, 09:18 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My previously torn hamstring was detected years later (decades) by getting an MRI of my lower back. I've had years of asymmetry and discomfort mostly from loss of disc space in L5-S1 and L4-L5 (no disc space actually). It really wasn't an issue that they could fix (hamstring) since it was long healed over, though scarred. Time puts wear and tear on the body. I just do what I can (exercise and rehab) and deal with it.
Old 01-22-13, 09:41 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Thank you for your replies.

Specifically, what things did you do to recover? I am not good at lying around the house so, fortunately, I am able to do my full core and arm exercise routine and standing doesn't bother it (meaning that cooking isn't a problem). Walking even a short distance irritates it so that eliminates even going to the store. Plan B: Discover what I CAN do, and do those things.

I would not have surgery unless absolutely necessary, which I doubt (it doesn't appear to be a full-thickness tear or avulsion). It's highly likely the right hamstring is torn as well since I have the same (but much worse) pain on that side, and a new MRI of the right side is already scheduled for next week.
I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.
Old 01-23-13, 10:03 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I resorted to upper body and core exercises and included cardio using a hand bike at the gym. As for treatment, a combination of a walking cast, frequent elevation and ice packs, a lot of accupuncture with electro stimulation, laser to increase blood flow and Graston physio to breakdown scar tissue. This went on for a year, after which, I was able to ride pretty much normally. Good luck.
Thank you.
Old 01-23-13, 10:03 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Yen,
I don't have any experience or suggestions to offer you for advise, you have had some really bad luck with injuries lately. I hope that you can find some things you are able to do for activities to keep some fitness and keep from going stir crazy. I'll have you in my prayers for relief from the pain and for the doctors to find an answer for your questions and a plan for recovery to good health and activities you enjoy.

Bill
Bill, thank you very much!
Old 01-23-13, 10:32 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.
Old 01-23-13, 11:12 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Your symptoms sound very similar to things I've been dealing with for the last year+, but when I finally had an MRI, it turned out that there was no muscle tear, but rather, osteoarthritis. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery- being injured and sidelined just plain sucks.
Yes it sure does! I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with a similar problem. My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. This appears to be a bad case of biomechanical issues -- a weak core and shortened hip flexors/hamstrings after years at a desk job and lack of adequate exercise/stretching during that time.
Old 01-23-13, 06:35 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
...snip My MRI and hip x-ray show no arthritis -- hip joints are clean as a whistle. ...snip
That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-25-13, 10:43 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
That is really something to be glad about, Yen, one less major place to worry about for a bit!!!

Bill
Yes! My doctor said he did a double-take to verify he was looking at my x-rays and not those of someone much younger. I am very thankful.