Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Dental-friendly ride snacks

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 02:53 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm awaiting a dental implant next month (titanium vs. zirconium, still debating that) to replace an old root-canaled tooth that led to infection to the bone. But wait, there's more: I also have almost a dozen (!!!) crowns and a few remaining old root canals. I'm 60 and this is my first implant, and I'm determined to make it my last. Thanks to religious use of my Water-pik, and careful flossing and brushing, in the past several years I've had much fewer problems and almost never any new decay. However, I am making certain dietary changes to prevent this from ever happening again. I've given up 99% grains and sugar, coffee and reduced overall phytic-acid intake to almost nothing... also beefed up my intake of important minerals, the very important fat-soluble vitamins (grass-fed butter! pastured eggs! whole-fat milk, liver), homemade bone broths, etc.

Anyway..... I'm seeking ideas for nutritious and effective tooth/gum-friendly snacks to eat on longer rides, that won't stick to my gums and are easy to rinse out with water. That leaves out raisins, Lara bars, Gu, Cliff bars, and any other sticky/gummy foods. A few that come to mind:
- Apple wedges
- Soft nuts (walnuts)
- Good well-fermented sourdough bread with smooth natural (sugarless) peanut butter and maybe a spread of coconut oil.

I do not eat "sugar-free" foods (i.e. foods with sugar substitutes) so that option is out. I would love to see some other ideas. Thank you!
Old 01-27-17, 04:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Drinking Cytomax on rides for about 10 years cost me $10,000 in dental bills. I switched to HEED, of which a major ingredient is xylitol. Problem solved.
Old 01-27-17, 05:50 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Holy crap. I have no advice. I always have one bottle with just water and always drink from that straight after a sip of powerade and swish it around.

Don't know if that helps much, but I hope so. I should probably start brushing after each ride...
Old 01-27-17, 07:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
bananas, fig newtons, yogurt covered raisins, cheese sticks, yogurt, apple sauce
Old 01-27-17, 08:05 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I was in the midst of a multi-stage root canal several years ago when I had to ride my century (100 miles) that month in order to keep up with the Century-A-Month challenge. I could not chew on that side and had been told to eat soup and soft food ... so what was I to do?

I did the century on cheese slices and bananas.
Old 01-28-17, 07:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
btw I'm halfway thru a year long ordeal w a cracked tooth, extraction, implant & waiting for it to fuse w my jaw before getting the crown in April. I'm also a grinder and got a new "night" guard. I like it so much I wear it all the time except when I talk & eat. it's quite beneficial biking. I'm sure I grind not just at night. I mention it because it has helped deal with my missing #12