Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Threaded insert in bottom bracket: Removal?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 07-16-17, 10:32 PM
Ciera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My friend has a new carbon fiber frame with a threaded metal insert in the bottom of the bottom bracket shell. The insert is there to provide a means to attach a cover plate with a short bolt. The cover provides access to shift cables/wires.

The problem is that the insert was not glued in correctly. The insert protrudes too far into the bottom bracket shell and prevents the installation of a Wheels Mfg threaded 386EVO bottom bracket. I have the same frame and the insert is flush with the bottom bracket shell on the inside and outside.

How can he remove the insert? Is it OK to heat the insert with a soldering iron to loosen the glue/epoxy? Will this damage the carbon fiber? What commonly available glue/epoxy should he use to reattach the insert?

By the way, I assume the insert is glued in. Perhaps I am wrong?

The frame is a BH Quartz, made in Taiwan.
Old 07-16-17, 11:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Is the is a new frame? What does the manufacturer say? Warranty? It doesn't appear to be a cheap bike/frame.

Upload some photos of the problem pieces. Go to the advanced editor and click on the paper clip icon to attach JPG images (around 100 kb).
Old 07-17-17, 12:48 AM
Ciera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a new, old stock good quality frame and was an ebay buy from a reputable reseller. It may have a warranty.

That said, an hour after I posted this thread I found out my impetuous friend ground down the insert at the inside of the bottom bracket shell with a Dremel. The Wheels Mfg bottom bracket now slides in easily. I hope there is enough thread left for the cover bolt to latch onto. It is not a bolt that gets much load.

So, please ignore the thread or if someone knows how to remove a metal insert like this one, then the answer may help someone in the future.

My thought was to screw in a bolt, apply heat to the bolt while pulling on it so as to remove the insert as soon as the heat loosens the glue. I read that you can safely get up to 275-300 degrees F before you start to see any damage to a carbon fiber frame.
Old 07-17-17, 05:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I believe dropouts are removed with heat, so it is probably a similar idea. Just get the heat source as hot as possible, but also localized to the part being worked on.
Old 09-25-17, 01:20 AM
Mopzilla

Bikes: '81 Schwinn cruiser 212cc 60mph

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a soldering iron won't be nearly enough heat. you'll need a propane torch at the very minimum, or better a map torch if you don't want to wait a while. As I understand, CF is very heat resistant and you can probably break down the glue by heating it to around 5-600*F.
Old 09-25-17, 09:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
this stands a good chance to become the thread containing the most bad and/or dangerous ideas ever posted on bikeforums. High stress area, cleanse with fire, what could go wrong? I think the dremel idea was probably the best one under the circumstances.
Old 09-25-17, 01:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I agree with Eric. Open flame around cosmetic paint and heat activated glues... I don't think so. Or not without a lot of careful shielding to prevent the flame from touching the carbon/epoxy.

BTW i'll take issue with the OP's claim that the cover bolt's threaded insert was incorrectly done. Was the OEM crankset/Bb able to be fitted? If so then I would then ask if the frame was represented in being able to have non standard/OEM parts installed? I very much doubt that and more likely there is some fine print in the warranty about modifying or changing the bike voiding warranties. Any idea to what crankset/Bb that did come stock in this frame when sold as a complete production stock bike?

Now I'm not saying that a bike should only be able to support the OEM spec and non other. Just that if I were the manufacturer I would strongly consider non OEM/alternative parts to be out warranty coverage. As a rider this sucks. As a hobby frame builder this situation is one I strive to avoid. Making my bikes as future compatible as I can and still maintain the basic design goals is a good thing. Andy.
Old 09-26-17, 01:24 AM
Ciera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW i'll take issue with the OP's claim that the cover bolt's threaded insert was incorrectly done. Was the OEM crankset/Bb able to be fitted?
Chances are the OEM specified BB fit OK. I don't know because the frame came without a BB. The OEM BB is an FSA 386EVO with a plastic internal sleeve. I think that sleeve has a smaller OD than the Wheels Mfg BB we used.

That said, the insert for my frame was flush to the outside and inside surfaces of the BB shell, but the insert in my friend's frame was not, so the build may have been within specs but it wasn't consistent nor optimal.

All in all, things worked out OK. My friend's solution with the Dremel worked and his cover hasn't come off yet. A little Loctite on the cover bolt probably helped.

Last edited by Ciera; 09-26-17 at 01:25 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 09-26-17, 06:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

it's quite possible it was on ebay because of this issue. Although most companies would have had it destroyed.
Old 07-26-18, 12:15 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Carbon fiber/epoxy resin matrix

At 180 degrees C the resin holding the carbon fibers together comes under stress and the bonding will want to delaminate from the carbon fibers. Considering a blow torch is well over 1000 degrees C your ambitions for wanting the rigidity and lightness of a plastic bicycle will amount to nothing very rapidly indeed.
Old 07-30-18, 06:11 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
i have ****ing idea what you are describing here. you need to post pics.

as for heating anything on a carbon bike to remove it???
this is joke right? you are aware your carbon bike is mostly plastic right?

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-30-18 at 07:26 PM. Reason: letting the wonderful site censor do its job
Old 07-30-18, 07:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

welcome to last year ya'll

don't defeat the censor please
Old 07-30-18, 07:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
welcome to last year ya'll

don't defeat the censor please
Especially when it seems that a key word is missing, "no". ( As in no XXXXXXX idea...) Andy
Old 07-30-18, 07:30 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I edited the post so the censor would work ( you can see "last edited by unterhausen")