Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Night Riding/Training Need Head Light Advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Night Riding/Training Need Head Light Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 11:24 PM
imbloke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally use the Bontrager 800R for my road bike headlights in the dark mornings. At around 20-22mph, I can clearly see 60-70 feet in front, which I'm comfortable with. I guess it all depends on your comfort level.

I'd also suggest to have light with at least 8-900 lumens with a more focused beam rather than wide/diffused. If you're in for a fast descend in the dark. Try tilting the light upwards a little before the descend to increase the range.
Old 10-09-17, 11:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A light I rarey hear mentioned is the Serfas. I have one from around 9 years ago and it has been a workhorse. Not the brightest, not the longest lasting charge but it is the only light I have used for 5 bikes since I got it. Original battery. No noticeable change in run times. Everything else is original. I think even the elastic strap for the HB is original. I love that it goes on and off really easily. Also that it is easy to aim, both side to side and for beam height with one hand while riding. I paid $160 at a shop for it. Given how it has served me, that was a bargain.

It has 5 settings, high though low and flashing. The light last a long time flashing and the flashes are long enough to actually see so while I don't like using the flashing at night it is very nice to know I can use it to both see and be seen when I screwed up on the charge.

I keep thinking its time to get a new light, that technology has progressed, etc., etc. Then I use it again and realize it suits my riding style just fine, it is paid for and apparently thieves have no use for it. Might as well keep it.

Ben
Old 10-10-17, 04:11 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Funny, it wasn't that long ago that a light & motion HID 400 lumen headlight was a big deal. Now I use a L&M Seca 2200 light on the same commute. I can see a lot more especially on the two 40+ MPH descents.
My first "real" headlight was NiteRider, and while I can't recall the lumen rating my current L&M is much, much better. On most roads I can use the low setting, and save high for faster riding and descents. I have a L&M Seca Enduro and use the "race" setting most often. It toggles between high and low. Just an excellent light.

It's funny, when I start night riding, the same rides seem very, very different. It's like starting fresh. When all else fails, well, there's the trainer and TV.
Old 10-10-17, 09:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Then I use it again and realize it suits my riding style just fine, it is paid for and apparently thieves have no use for it. Might as well keep it. Ben
Sounds like a great light. If I didn't respect you so much, I'd come and steal it.
Old 10-12-17, 11:04 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I sue my urbans on low whenever possible .... normally they are bright enough for safe riding. But ... i have to have two. No battery swap possible.

When I get my CREE set-uop working I might be able to bring one light and a spare battery.

I am pretty sure the Urbans use the same rechargeable battery (my old Lezyne did) and if the Urbans ever die, I will find a way to replace the batteries ...If the factory can do it, so can I. Then I will bring spare batteries .... but the two-light setup is awfully nice for high speeds/bad roads.
Great Idea, I too, don't want to sink a lot of money into night riding. I like the idea of Cree lights, just ordered a pair and universal handlebar mounts.

How is your set up working ? Thanks for a great idea (and keeping the funds into other gear). KB
Old 10-02-18, 09:40 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I have this Light and Motion Taz 1500 and it is superb:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...SABEgLvEvD_BwE

Super bright and great coverage. I had a Cateye Volt 1200 too before and that was very nice as well...
Are you still using your Taz 1500? I have been looking at the two lights you mentioned and was wondering which you prefer for night road riding?
Cheers
Old 10-02-18, 11:18 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Are you still using your Taz 1500? I have been looking at the two lights you mentioned and was wondering which you prefer for night road riding?
Cheers
I don't think you can go wrong with either but I have a slight preference for the Taz...
Old 10-02-18, 10:48 PM
wayne310

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how tough are these bicycle specific lights?

i use a tactical flashlight with 1000 lumens..it has less of a spread..but it survived crash and being run over by a car...slightly bent but still works flawlessly
Old 10-03-18, 12:25 AM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my advice is refrain from descending at 40mph in the dark

Last edited by Reeses; 10-03-18 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 05:27 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
For night operation, in addition to either my Stupidbright SB3000 headlight or my Ourbound Lighting Road Edition headlight, I also use a pair of taillights and wheel spoke lights.

At night the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 taillight is set to blink every second, plus a normal taillight is set to constant illumination. The blinking provides attention and the constant permits accurate location for the person sitting behind the steering wheel.

These wheel spoke lights are amazing for vehicles to notice the bicycle.
Old 10-03-18, 12:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I had bad luck with cheap CREE flashlights ... but others have spent a little more and got better quality (the ones I had didn't like cycling vibration.) I am going with a double Light-and-motion urban set-up now, a 750 and a 500 ... and I still do most riding with just the 500 on low. If i were going to do do fast descents I would max out both lights .... but i'd avoid such descents int he dark Too many variables, too little reaction time, and if I see an obstacle int eh long light ... i cannot tell if it is safe to go around it until i am too close to make a high-speed maneuver.

The mega-lights are great if all your rides are short, but 1.5 hours burn time ... not getting me home too many times.
Old 10-03-18, 01:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
When riding in dark, very familiar routes are an asset. Familiar enough that you know where the bad spots are in the pavement.

It's one less variable of danger.

I live in a more urban/suburban area. I link the neighborhoods together and hit up some hill intervals. 1 min hills, 2 min, 3 min, etc.....

I do dial back the descending and overall "cruise" speed a bit. It's not about avg speed, it's about watts and kilojoules.
Old 10-03-18, 01:23 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
The CREE XM-L T6 LED lights have worked for me. They're nice and cheap, and nice and bright. I've been using them for six years now. After a few years they do start to get unreliable, flickering off and on or dying at inopportune times, which is why I always have two on the bike at a time.

The reason? Low quality means that the contacts seem to loosen after intensive use, requiring new plugs and some wiring handiwork. But that makes them as good as new again, and you really can't beat the price for that kind of kind of luminatory firepower.

This is my standard setup for the dark half of the year.