Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Bike Gremlin website

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Bike Gremlin website

Old 10-17-18, 12:11 AM
Bike Gremlin
Bike Gremlin

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bike Gremlin website

Some 3 years ago since I had started putting most info, charts, articles on-line. Had it all on my computer for years. Primary use was to help myself with all the (verified) data in one place. Then a friend suggested we put it all on line, using his hosting, so I can use it wherever I go and so it can help others as well - it would cost just to register a domain name, since it would take just a small portion of the hosting already used and paid for.

Spent about 10 seconds thinking of a domain name. Named it Bike Gremlin, for gremlin being used when a cause of malfunction is not known, or as a scapegoat. Plus, having the "gift" for things to break down, if they ever do, when I start using them and (perhaps thanks to that in part) being a pretty good troubleshooter (both in my IT daytime job and mechanics).

Sheldon Brown's site was the main inspiration - I was amazed with the amount of info. Discussed it with some local good mechanics and, apart from English being a problem, they complained about Sheldon Brown not being up to date enough. Thought, OK, I have some knowledge, no one else will do it apparently, why not make a "Serbocroatian sheldonbrown", and make it up to date (while I live at least ).

Made an original Serbocroatian version at bikegremlin.com, but right from the start thought - I speak English, why not make an English version as well - so I can just pass a link, instead of answering the same questions - even for foreigners. So made an English version, placed on a subdomain:
bike.bikegremlin.com

Site has "grown" in time to become No1 cycling mechanics info place in the native speaking region within a two years time, but the English version has grown to even more visitors. So this summer I had to spend some effort in optimizing it, so it can work with the current hosting (until I see if I can afford to move it to faster, more expensive hosting). I had also redesigned the menus a bit, in order to make it easier for people to navigate and improved the search function (WordPress default search is very limited and some visitors pointed that problem out). Also introduced SSL/TLS encryption, just so that both I and the visitors are on the safe side. In addition to some anti spam and anti troll policies, since that seems to come along with the Internet, unfortunately.

Still haven't placed all the data I want on the site - 1-2 articles per month is most I can manage, but it'll get there.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the following things:
Is the site easy to navigate, find the info?
Is it easy to read (layout, font and colour choice)?
Any data/info errors, or needed additions?
Bid spilling corrictions (it's not my native), sentence corrections etc. are also welcome.

Relja