Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Finally Decided on a Kona, or so I Thought

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Finally Decided on a Kona, or so I Thought

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 01:03 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Kona manufactures and ships their bikes in fairly small batches throughout the year, so they rarely end up with overstock, especially in the popular sizes. You might get lucky and find a dealer who has one on the floor, but that can be a tedious process. Calling Kona would be the best way to find out.
Personally, I think it's too late, with 2019 models already on floors, but if the OP preferred last year's color over the current seafoam for that specific model, i'd suggested checking Kona's web site for dealers in the state and start making phone calls.

I imagine Norco is similar. They produce small batches, and the 2-3 batches were quickly sold out throughout the year. I got lucky, my local Norco dealer still had two sizes in the previous years' color, which i loved, but did not like the upcoming 2019 colors. So i grabbed the last in my size last month. It had been sitting there for months, with prospective buyers dropping out as i waited. Yeah, i missed out on the 2019 upgraded hydro brakes, but it was worth it to me. Plus he knocked off $400 for being a last years' model.

So it's possible. A tedious route, to be sure

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 12-22-18, 10:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
I'm sorry, but which is the "seafoam" Rove? The Rove NRB DL? That's not so bad but I do understand your frustration. Is it too late to find one of the last of last years' models? Personally I was looking at the Konas too. I already have a "seafoam" bike, a Bianchi circa 1983 But that Rove NRB DL isn't so bad. Embrace color! Personally I was looking at the Rove NRB. It comes with TRP Spyre mech disc brakes instead of hydro, but what i eventually ended up with, a 2018 Norco Search XR, has the same TRP brakes and they're fine.

In the end, get a color you'll love. I just stare at mine and it's love at first sight over and over again

eric/fresno, ca.
If it's a Bianchi that resembles seafoam, it's probably actually Celeste. (Just pointing this out before some Bianchi loyalist jumps all over you - they love their Celeste paint!)
Old 12-22-18, 01:41 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Originally Posted by Koyote
If it's a Bianchi that resembles seafoam, it's probably actually Celeste. (Just pointing this out before some Bianchi loyalist jumps all over you - they love their Celeste paint!)
I am somewhat of a Bianchi celeste "loyalist." I love my original celeste Campione D'Italia, now with a nice patina after 35 years. I just stuck with "seafoam" since that was the original term for the Kona bike in this thread .

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 12-25-18, 12:55 PM
ericzamora
junior

Originally Posted by chas58
As much as I whine about 1x (it is the current fad), I wouldn’t rule it out.

1x can have the same gear range as 2x (well, except maybe the top end).
Right. There's no reason to rule it out if you're commuting.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-30-19, 10:41 PM
ben.ellenson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
My 2019 Rove ST is hella playful and fun. I'm having a blast whipping it around on all the trails I used to mountain bike on. I agree about the sizing too - I sized down on this bike and am glad I did.
hey just curious to know how tall you are and what size you went with?
Old 01-30-19, 10:46 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ben.ellenson

hey just curious to know how tall you are and what size you went with?
I'm 5'7" and went with a 50.
Old 01-30-19, 10:56 PM
ben.ellenson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'7" and went with a 50.
Thanks for the info. Just saw your response in another thread as well. I appreciate the help. Still enjoying the Rove?
Old 01-30-19, 11:09 PM
pbass

Thanks for the info. Just saw your response in another thread as well. I appreciate the help. Still enjoying the Rove?
I love it. Only made a few minor tweaks. I put a smaller front chainring on for where I ride, and I wasn't crazy about the stock bars so I put some Cowbells on. Set it up tubeless, and I'm a happy camper. I ride it everywhere, including some stuff where I probably shouldn't. Considering how much I ride it off-road I might go a little knobbier than the Byways at some point, but man, those tires do surprisingly well on the dirt.
Old 01-31-19, 07:45 PM
ben.ellenson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love it. Only made a few minor tweaks. I put a smaller front chainring on for where I ride, and I wasn't crazy about the stock bars so I put some Cowbells on. Set it up tubeless, and I'm a happy camper. I ride it everywhere, including some stuff where I probably shouldn't. Considering how much I ride it off-road I might go a little knobbier than the Byways at some point, but man, those tires do surprisingly well on the dirt.
That’s great to hear. I’m excited and hoping to pick up the Rove ST soon. Would there be any reason you’d wish it had a 700c wheelset instead of 650b? I’ve only ridden 700c before testing out the Rove ST but man did the 650b x 47 feel nice.
Old 01-31-19, 08:56 PM
pbass

That’s great to hear. I’m excited and hoping to pick up the Rove ST soon. Would there be any reason you’d wish it had a 700c wheelset instead of 650b? I’ve only ridden 700c before testing out the Rove ST but man did the 650b x 47 feel nice.
I have two other bikes, a 29r rigid MTB, and a 700c Surly Cross Check set up 1x11 like the Rove--the CC was my first "gravel" rig. I knew I liked 650B from a MTB I had once, and I figured I might as well mix it up and try the different size for gravel. I find it better for me, as a smaller rider, for handling off-road. I really do put the Rove through it's paces in the dirt--switchbacky descents on singletrack, etc. The bigger wheel sizes never felt as good to me in this regard. And on the road, it's super cushy--no complaints there! I'm sold on "road plus" for sure. EDIT: I should add though that while speed is not a top concern for me, I think there may be a speed penalty with the 650B vs the 700c (comparing the Rove to my similarly geared Cross Check)--hard to tell, the bikes are different in many ways, but in my case at least I think it's a thing.

Last edited by pbass; 02-02-19 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 12:14 AM
sienarot

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
Personally, I think it's too late, with 2019 models already on floors, but if the OP preferred last year's color over the current seafoam for that specific model, i'd suggested checking Kona's web site for dealers in the state and start making phone calls.
Up here in Canada it's absolutely possible to order previous years' Kona models from the distributor through your dealer. I've been bothering my LBS the last few weeks on pricing and availability for a cheap Rove I can use as a winter beater and they even have stock going back at least 2 years, though in pretty select quantities and sizes. I'd be surprised if it were much different in the US.