Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tires on Tandems Who's Using Them?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 10:31 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Are any of you running tubless tires? If so, what rims are you using? Hooked or hookless? Which tires are yoi using? What pressure are you inflating your tires to?
Old 02-05-19, 11:28 AM
Bad1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Krenovian
Are any of you running tubless tires? If so, what rims are you using? Hooked or hookless? Which tires are yoi using? What pressure are you inflating your tires to?
I've been using Schwable Pro 1 tubeless tires 700x25 for over 2 years now with out any problem. Using 2 sets of wheels, Hed Belgium Plus Disc Brake Clincher rims with White Ind. hubs, Enve SES 5.6 Disc custom wheelset, Using Orange sealant with Dynaplug to save the day numerous times, without ever having to stuff a tube in. Tire pressure is subjective to how much your team weight is, smooth or ruff roads, or if you want firmer tire for decents, speed, etc
Old 02-05-19, 02:08 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Panaracer Pari Moto 650b x 42mm on Blunt 35 rims at 50-60psi. I briefly experimented with some 31i hookless rims with 42mm tires, but they blew off (in the shop) between 40 and 60 psi.
Old 02-06-19, 09:35 AM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Panaracer Pari Moto 650b x 42mm on Blunt 35 rims at 50-60psi. I briefly experimented with some 31i hookless rims with 42mm tires, but they blew off (in the shop) between 40 and 60 psi.
ImI considering building a new wheelset and am trying to gain some knowledge reharrega hookless rims and their uses. After reading different manufacturers' recommended tire inflation pressures for their hookless rims. I'm getting the sense that hookless rims probably aren't appropriate for most tandem applications. The inflation pressure chart for the ENVE SES 4.6 wheelset serves as an example. If I'm reading it correctly a 250 lb rider would need to inflate most tires across the width spectrum beyond ENVE's recommended pressure. Most tandem teams exceed 250 lbs. We are 290lbs not adding in the weight of our bike. Looks like I'll be going with a beaded rim for the new wheelset. Thanks for reporting your experience.
Old 02-06-19, 06:54 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hookless rims are generally only suitable for low inflation pressures of about 35-40psi. Might be ok for big volume mtb tyres but not for tandem road tyres.
We’re touring at the moment on tubeless Schwalbe G-one Speed tyres and they are going great. Plenty of grip and they roll really well. Our wheels are custom layup Lightbicycle RG722 650b rims with CK tandem hubs and cx-ray spokes. We are most probably around the 175kg mark including bags, bottles etc.

Old 02-07-19, 04:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I put a little Stan's in my tubes instead of patching thorn punctures.

Generally my tandem gets long enough storage from time to time that sealant would set up in a puddle.

In a year or two, when my kids can reach the crank shorteners without a kidback, I'm planning to get a Fandango or ECDM. Might go tubeless with that one, might not.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-17-19, 09:49 AM
ebnelson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used Stan's Alpha 400 road tubeless rims and Maxxis Padrone tires. We found we could run lower pressures and we ran them below the max psi of 125 psi of the tires. I would not over inflate tubeless since blow-offs can occur even with hooked rims. With 25C tires the Alpha 400 rims shouldn't be used with more than around 110 psi in the tires.

It did work great and felt good but the tires could be hard to seat after they had been previously installed. There was some slight stretching of the bead.