Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26er bmx tires for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 08:04 PM
MiE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have a 93' Giant iguana I'm using for commuting and eventually touring. I haven't settled on the right tire and started looking at BMX tires. I have no experience with bmx and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this? Good or bad, brand recommendations?
Old 04-10-19, 08:47 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Pavement, dirt, gravel? Wider, smooth tires work well for lots of surfaces. Look at something like the kenda k rad, a sort of smooth checkerboard park tire.
Old 04-10-19, 09:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you mean a 559 26" wheel ?
Old 04-10-19, 10:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Like this?
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...qLblBRBYEiwAV3
Old 04-11-19, 12:15 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Not sure about the durability, since I had a dud 2.5" one that wore out real quick, but you could go the 26x46C surly Extraterrestrial. Other options Schwalbe Moto-X, if you can fit a 2.4 between the stays. Also the Marathon Mondial is the gold standard for heavy duty touring. The Big Apple Plus or Big Ben Plus would be other options and being 2.15" would definitely fit. I actually have a couple of brand new Holy Rollers hanging up here. They are probably a bit light on for touring, maybe with some slime or run ghetto tubeless they'd be puncture proof enough, but I get the impression the rubber is too soft to be durable, they're made for grip,not long life.
Old 04-11-19, 12:47 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I run Schwalbe tires on my touring bicycle. I have used the Marathon Supreme and the Marathon Mondial.
Old 04-11-19, 07:31 AM
MiE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Pavement, dirt, gravel? Wider, smooth tires work well for lots of surfaces. Look at something like the kenda k rad, a sort of smooth checkerboard park tire.
I was assuming mostly pavement with some gravel or dirt.
Old 04-11-19, 07:32 AM
MiE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you mean a 559 26" wheel ?
no clue what the 559 is but 26", yes.
Old 04-11-19, 07:33 AM
MiE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I had looked at those and the DTH!
Old 04-11-19, 07:36 AM
MiE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Not sure about the durability, since I had a dud 2.5" one that wore out real quick, but you could go the 26x46C surly Extraterrestrial. Other options Schwalbe Moto-X, if you can fit a 2.4 between the stays. Also the Marathon Mondial is the gold standard for heavy duty touring. The Big Apple Plus or Big Ben Plus would be other options and being 2.15" would definitely fit. I actually have a couple of brand new Holy Rollers hanging up here. They are probably a bit light on for touring, maybe with some slime or run ghetto tubeless they'd be puncture proof enough, but I get the impression the rubber is too soft to be durable, they're made for grip,not long life.
thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the largest I can fit without mudguards isn't much larger than 2.1.
Old 04-11-19, 07:47 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Originally Posted by MiE
thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure the largest I can fit without mudguards isn't much larger than 2.1.
The Big Apple Plus or Big Ben Plus might be the go then, in a 2.15. The Mondials are as tough as you'll get, but roll like bricks.I'm a convert to touring on big tires, so much more comfortable, you can roll over rough surfaces and not be slower than a smaller tire. When my Extraterrestrials die I'm going to try the Moto-X on my Troll since they'll fit fine.
Old 04-11-19, 08:10 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I have those Holey Rollers on on a multi use bike. Good long lasting tire for what I've been using it for. Read the reviews on anything you buy for a better picture on their qualities.
Old 04-11-19, 08:10 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MiE
no clue what the 559 is but 26", yes.
That is the rim diameter in mm's. BMX can be 16, 20, 24 or 26" wheels sometimes.
Old 04-11-19, 08:20 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
The Big Apple Plus or Big Ben Plus might be the go then, in a 2.15. The Mondials are as tough as you'll get, but roll like bricks.I'm a convert to touring on big tires, so much more comfortable, you can roll over rough surfaces and not be slower than a smaller tire. When my Extraterrestrials die I'm going to try the Moto-X on my Troll since they'll fit fine.
I'm using the Schwalbe Almotions because, unlike the others you mentioned, I think the Almotions are the only ones tubeless ready or tubeless compatible or tubeless possible, or whatever the terminology is. I was thinking I might replace my ET, when the time comes, with the K-Rad, which might also be an option for the OP. I think the folding bead version can go tubeless (my requirement, not the OP's). https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...et-park/k-rad/ Currently running a 2.8 Vee Speedster up front, but, being that I have an older Troll, it's a tight fit to put it in the back. They make a 26 x 2.0, which also might be an option for the OP. https://www.veetireco.com/listings/c...ing-speedster/ Can't speak to durability as I've only had it about 6 months and on my less-frequently used wheelset.

I would take my wider tires touring, because I love them, but they don't pack as well and prevent me from using bus racks. And I'm not certain if they'd play nice with Amtrak's bike cars. So most of my touring is done on the Almotions, with the Plus tires getting used around home.
Old 04-11-19, 09:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Asking about the dirt racing tires on a tour?

this is a 26" wheel trekking bike ,

tires: Continental travel contact ... made for highway and beyond the pavement ending..

BMX is a single speed race bike , for a pedal powered motocross race
that is a dirt sprint with jumps & corners .. might not be the best bike for touring a week + upon..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-12-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 10:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
For a trip that is almost all on pavement or well packed gravel, I use 1.5 width Schwalbe Marathons (with Greenguard). The are 40mm wide and roll well. They worked great for me on a couple of tours.

For more gravel or off road riding the Mondials that were mentioned above by Trevtassie probably would work well too, probably 2.0 or 50mm width. I have not used the Mondials, the predecessor to the Mondial was the Dureme and Extreme, I have used those in 2.0 width with very good results. I have also have very good luck with the 57mm wide Extremes on the bike that will take that wide of a tire.

Mondials come in two versions, it is my understanding that the Mondials with the folding bead roll much better but cost twice as much as the wire bead version, but since I have not used either perhaps someone else that has experiece with both will comment?
Old 04-11-19, 03:24 PM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
For a trip that is almost all on pavement or well packed gravel, I use 1.5 width Schwalbe Marathons (with Greenguard). The are 40mm wide and roll well. They worked great for me on a couple of tours.

For more gravel or off road riding the Mondials that were mentioned above by Trevtassie probably would work well too, probably 2.0 or 50mm width. I have not used the Mondials, the predecessor to the Mondial was the Dureme and Extreme, I have used those in 2.0 width with very good results. I have also have very good luck with the 57mm wide Extremes on the bike that will take that wide of a tire.

Mondials come in two versions, it is my understanding that the Mondials with the folding bead roll much better but cost twice as much as the wire bead version, but since I have not used either perhaps someone else that has experiece with both will comment?
I've never used the wire bead Mondials, but the Kevlar ones don't roll super well compared to some tires. Where they shine is on severe off road, sharp gravel, with heavy laods and limited chances to get spares. On the logging roads on Vancouver Island we were running them down as low as 15PSI to get traction, with super heavy loads. I retired them when I got a Troll frame and tried the ETs, because they'll fit, now I'm converted to + size tires just because I like rolling over stuff.
Old 04-12-19, 02:14 AM
Indigo82

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I use Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard for 26 inch wheels that are 1.75 inch wide. This width proved to be a good compromise for all terrain touring tire. They are sufficiently wide and surprisingly comfortable for both asphalt and gravel roads due to anti-puncture inserts. On 26 inch wheels they are faster than many other options. They last long and give you a piece of mind when dealing with punctures.
Old 04-17-19, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would go Conti Travel Contacts or Schwalbe Marathons not a BMX tire. Unless of course I was doing BMX but BMX and fully loaded touring are two very different things.
Old 04-17-19, 10:51 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have a pair of 26x2.0 marathons and also a pair of the Maxis DTH tires mentioned. I have not toured on either, but the DTH have a very smooth and nice ride to them. The marathons feel heavy in comparison, especially getting them started, but they feel nice once rolling. However, I wouldn't trust the DTH on a tour due to punctures. I only have about 250 miles on each tire, but have had one puncture on the DTH in that time. I have a friend who rides on DTH tires and got punctures on almost every ride (broken glass) until he started adding slime to his tubes.

If I had to buy tires, I'd look at the marathon supremes, but it will be awhile before I wear out my current tires.
Old 04-19-19, 04:51 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
My son tours on a BMX tire, Maxxis DTH 24x1.75. I literally took them off my BMX cruiser and installed them on his bike. They work just fine for touring on pavement and gravel. The same tires are available in 26”.