Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.

Old 07-05-19, 01:25 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
The problem with bike lanes are the crossings IMO.
Old 07-05-19, 03:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
This is the Road Cycling forum. Road cyclists don't do that. They complain and leave that job to lesser folk.
Whatever. I spent last weekend doing volunteer trail maintenance on the PCT. It cost me $200. I'm allowed to comment on the utility of bike lanes.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-05-19, 05:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
“I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.”

As a decades-long urban commuter and road cyclist, on a societal policy basis, I was impressed by this opinion by @B. Carfree
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
So the mup that runs through my town goes almost nowhere i need to go, except today
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
…Some people, mostly people who are relatively new to cycling, think we should use the few dollars that can go towards improving conditions for cycling by building a few miles of separated infrastructure and place it mostly on urban roads (with the inevitable intersection failures).

Other, more experienced riders, think we would be better served by funding traffic law enforcement and putting in many more miles of proper, six to eight foot bike lanes (not in the door zone) and only putting in separate facilities where there are long stretches of high-speed road without appreciable numbers of intersections.

This difference of opinion wouldn't be such a big deal, but many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility.

Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road. Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hate the idea of walled-off lanes, myself ... I don't want to be penned in with a bunch of cyclists ... worst group of people ....
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 07-05-19, 06:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Physically separate as in the extra wide sidewalks? I hate them too. We have a few here and I used one of them once. It's really dangerous IMO. It just multiplys several times the things you have to be aware of when you cross an intersection and even a driveway.

They are working on one to my neighborhood right now to connect to the main trail. I wish I'd been aware of when the public comment was open for it. One side of the street only has one little used back access to a maintenance office for the Natchez Trace Parkway. The other side has two streets, three entrance/exits for a busy shopping center and four driveways for homes coming off of it. So guess which side they built it on. Yep, the side with all the driveways and streets! I doubt I ever ride on it.

For the extra right-of-way they had to take, they could have made the street six to eight feet wider on each side. In many cases I feel much safer in the road than on a separate path paralleling the road.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-05-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 07:55 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I didn't move the shopping cart, no. Bad Forrest! This was under a bridge, the only places to put it would have been the sidewalk or the traffic lane.
First, the physical separations are safer. And second, everything goes to the sidewalk or the area between the two.
Old 07-05-19, 09:00 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I'm also not a fan of physically separate bike lanes.
  • They're like riding on the sidewalk:
    • Vehicle drivers never expect to interact with you, so as vehicles enter or leave the roadway via driveways or cross streets they often don't even notice the cyclist in one of these separated lanes. You are not part of their world, until you suddenly are.
    • People may be walking on them.
  • Manhole covers and other maintenance equipment get placed inside them and they're narrow enough that it's hard to dodge these obstacles. Because it's not the main road, workers tend to accept a lower standard of smoothness.
  • If there is some construction on the road, these are the first parts of the road to get blocked.
  • They can fill with debris and street sweeping vehicles don't fit to clear it.
  • Occupants often have no expectation of maintaining a traffic-like flow, so other users become obstacles too.
On the real road vehicle drivers do have to interact with you; you're part of their world. You are less invisible to them, so they're less likely to turn suddenly or pull out suddenly in front of you.

People are less likely to be ambling along in herds in front of you.

Other users do have an expectation of riding/driving in road-like conditions, so they behave predictably and are less likely to become complacent obstacles.

Now I really hate being forced into a lane to the point that vehicles can't safely pass me. That's a recipe for impatient hostility. But I do prefer being on the road where I'm part of the flow.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 07-06-19, 04:23 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
“I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.”

As a decades-long urban commuter and road cyclist, on a societal policy basis, I was impressed by this opinion by @B. Carfree
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
... many of the segregationists have been making their public case by convincing everyone that cycling is too dangerous to be done anywhere except on a segregated facility. Not surprisingly, this has an impact in terms of how many people are willing to even try riding a bike since there is no way to get anywhere in the US without riding on a road. Oddly enough, these people are called and consider themselves "bicycling advocates". If one were to design a fifth-column assault to keep cycling participation down, it would look just like the pro-separation folks.
I don't like riding physically separated lanes for reasons others have articulated, but the problem Carfree identifies is what I see the more serious one.

Instead of helping people see what's great about cycling and how to manage all the situations they'll encounter, their game plan for getting more people riding is essentially to make them terrified of virtually everyone they'll encounter.

They succeed in the terror thing so well that they're afraid of riding in garden variety situations themselves. You should see our local cycling boards and how much meldodrama they can make out of the most ordinary encounters. And then they wonder why everyone else doesn't jump on the bandwagon.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-06-19, 05:05 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Instead of helping people see what's great about cycling and how to manage all the situations they'll encounter, their game plan for getting more people riding is essentially to make them terrified of virtually everyone they'll encounter.

They succeed in the terror thing so well that they're afraid of riding in garden variety situations themselves. You should see our local cycling boards and how much meldodrama they can make out of the most ordinary encounters. And then they wonder why everyone else doesn't jump on the bandwagon.
Wait till these bozos get a whiff of mandatory helmets...
Old 07-06-19, 07:43 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by daoswald
I'm also not a fan of physically separate bike lanes.
  • They're like riding on the sidewalk:
    • Vehicle drivers never expect to interact with you, so as vehicles enter or leave the roadway via driveways or cross streets they often don't even notice the cyclist in one of these separated lanes. You are not part of their world, until you suddenly are.
    • People may be walking on them.
  • Manhole covers and other maintenance equipment get placed inside them and they're narrow enough that it's hard to dodge these obstacles. Because it's not the main road, workers tend to accept a lower standard of smoothness.
  • If there is some construction on the road, these are the first parts of the road to get blocked.
  • They can fill with debris and street sweeping vehicles don't fit to clear it.
  • Occupants often have no expectation of maintaining a traffic-like flow, so other users become obstacles too.
On the real road vehicle drivers do have to interact with you; you're part of their world. You are less invisible to them, so they're less likely to turn suddenly or pull out suddenly in front of you.

People are less likely to be ambling along in herds in front of you.

Other users do have an expectation of riding/driving in road-like conditions, so they behave predictably and are less likely to become complacent obstacles.

Now I really hate being forced into a lane to the point that vehicles can't safely pass me. That's a recipe for impatient hostility. But I do prefer being on the road where I'm part of the flow.
Those explanations to counter PSBP, are a stretch. Nevertheless, you can always take an alternate route since they're outnumbered 100 to 1 by roads without them
Old 07-07-19, 05:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I think the US needs them but I won't like them until we learn to use them. There are a lot of people who are unsafe. I also like the idea that bicycles are a part of traffic. I am comfortable in traffic.
Old 07-16-19, 06:47 PM
poonkorama

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z85, Late 70's Univega Sportour, 1999 Kona Muni-Mula HT, 2018 Greenstar Ecoforce Bamboo Singlespeed/FG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the regular painted bike lanes just because it provides a visible line of demarcation. Whether cars respect these is a different issue, but I generally prefer these to nothing at all.

I'm not crazy about the new separated lanes we’ve been getting in Oakland (CA), which go between the parked cars and the sidewalk. In theory, they seem great, but as someone already pointed out, if the lane gets blocked, it can be very difficult to circumvent. The first time I rode one of these (Telegraph Ave), the lane was blocked by a group of several people hanging out next to their car who were reluctant to move (their dirty looks confirmed this). Half block later, another car managed to park *in* the lane, completely blocking it. The only way around was to stop and hop on the sidewalk, as the parked cars were too tightly spaced to allow a swerve onto the street. Again, not a bad theoretical concept, but I think some of the unintended consequences weren’t throughly visualized.

Completely separate bikeways (separated by concrete curbs) are awesome IMO (Stockholm does this well). But incorporating this type of system requires more significant changes to local infrastructure.
Old 07-16-19, 08:27 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bruce19
I think the US needs them but I won't like them until we learn to use them. There are a lot of people who are unsafe. I also like the idea that bicycles are a part of traffic. I am comfortable in traffic.
Originally Posted by poonkorama
I like the regular painted bike lanes just because it provides a visible line of demarcation. Whether cars respect these is a different issue, but I generally prefer these to nothing at all.

I'm not crazy about the new separated lanes we’ve been getting in Oakland (CA), which go between the parked cars and the sidewalk. In theory, they seem great, but as someone already pointed out, if the lane gets blocked, it can be very difficult to circumvent. The first time I rode one of these (Telegraph Ave), the lane was blocked by a group of several people hanging out next to their car who were reluctant to move (their dirty looks confirmed this). Half block later, another car managed to park *in* the lane, completely blocking it. The only way around was to stop and hop on the sidewalk, as the parked cars were too tightly spaced to allow a swerve onto the street. Again, not a bad theoretical concept, but I think some of the unintended consequences weren’t throughly visualized.

Completely separate bikeways (separated by concrete curbs) are awesome IMO (Stockholm does this well). But incorporating this type of system requires more significant changes to local infrastructure.
Now think about what the motorist likes. Are you encroaching onto "his" roads to his favor?

People frequently drive onto crosswalks, road shoulders, BUS/BIKE ONLY lanes and even sidewalks to move forward. Do you think they would hesitate to drive onto a bike lake if its in their favor? They'll see you coming and still rapid pull out in front of you. Scaring the chamois off you.
Old 07-16-19, 08:33 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
That is an especially stupid place. Never had a problem on that street ever. I think the city uses bike lanes as an excuse to narrow and eliminate lanes to slow motorized vehicle traffic down.
For those of you who ride the stretch of West Marginal from the 1st ave S. Bridge to the West Seattle bridge, I notice some ghost lines on the pavement like they are preparing to narrow that stretch of road down to slow the traffic using bike lanes. I think the speed limit is 35 with most drivers well over that.
Old 07-16-19, 09:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
@colnago62 they upgraded Dexter since the last time I rode, don't take it going south. Bike lane between the sidewalk and a line of parked cars, as you come down the hill, and tons of people standing around smoking cigarettes.
Old 07-17-19, 03:41 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Physically separated on-street lanes are great until you get to the intersections, then they are far more dangerous than just riding in the street. This is especially true when the separation is a parking lane, because then you become invisible.

In NYC they repaved 1st and 2nd Avenues, both have parked car separated lanes. On 1st Avenue they changed the left turns from a left turning lane at the end of the parked cars, to one where the car should proceed to the intersection in the driving lane and then turn 90 degrees. Guess what happens? They turn perpendicular to the bikes and just go through. At least while they were parallel you could go around on the right side (of a left turning car), plus they are parallel to the bikes where they can see them. Its a disaster waiting to happen. This new idea is supposed to be an improvement but I don't think anybody really thought this out, or really rides a bike either.
Old 07-17-19, 04:46 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
The problem with many roads is they are not designed well or they are designed well but then they are built and then not maintained well. That is an even bigger problem with some bike trails and many physically separated bike lanes.

But, boy - when a bike trail or physically separate bike lane is designed well and maintained well, it is such a different riding experience than having traffic whizzing by your left ear all day (US-centric).

So, just like choosing to avoid some roads when I drive, have to do the same with bike lanes and trails when I bike.

And, I will admit: I do usually stop to move a turtle from the road but almost never stop to move the shopping cart from the path...
Old 07-17-19, 09:08 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jpescatore
The problem with many roads is they are not designed well or they are designed well but then they are built and then not maintained well. That is an even bigger problem with some bike trails and many physically separated bike lanes.

But, boy - when a bike trail or physically separate bike lane is designed well and maintained well, it is such a different riding experience than having traffic whizzing by your left ear all day (US-centric).

So, just like choosing to avoid some roads when I drive, have to do the same with bike lanes and trails when I bike.

And, I will admit: I do usually stop to move a turtle from the road but almost never stop to move the shopping cart from the path...
Maybe the city planners need a suggestion box?
Old 07-18-19, 05:51 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
I agree. They are all the rage here. But its not just a bike lane between a curb and some sort of traffic island or bollards. They are moving parking lanes out from the curb and then wedging the bike lane between parked cars and curb so the parked cars in effect create a barrier between traffic and cyclists. Some people feel safer this way, but I feel my field of view is compromised, I am invisible to traffic, pedestrians are always stepping into the lane, and there is no where to go if something like a shopping cart or other debris is in the way. Much prefer keeping parking against the curb and just creating a bike lane with painted hashed buffer to create additional separation between bike lane and traffic as in the pic. Room to ride with options to escape trouble or debris if needed.

Where is the car parking in your pic? In your scenario you're just trading pedestrians for riding in the door zone when parking is to your right
Old 07-18-19, 07:10 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Where is the car parking in your pic? In your scenario you're just trading pedestrians for riding in the door zone when parking is to your right
I was using that pic only to illustrate the painted hash area on the left side. I find when they do that, and leave car parking against the curb (I couldn't find a pic to illustrate), I can ride on far left of the bike lane to stay well clear of the door issue yet still have buffer between car and traffic. Riding on lanes pinned between cars and curb, which around here are often very narrow, leave me vulnerable to passenger doors. pedestrians stepping into the lane, delivery trucks, and all manner of debris. Plus I cant see what traffic is doing, and drivers cant see me, so when the lane emerges at intersections I am blind and invisible til the last minute. Not a good combination.
Old 07-18-19, 07:18 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by DOS
I was using that pic only to illustrate the painted hash area on the left side. I find when they do that, and leave car parking against the curb (I couldn't find a pic to illustrate), I can ride on far left of the bike lane to stay well clear of the door issue yet still have buffer between car and traffic. Riding on lanes pinned between cars and curb, which around here are often very narrow, leave me vulnerable to passenger doors. pedestrians stepping into the lane, delivery trucks, and all manner of debris. Plus I cant see what traffic is doing, and drivers cant see me, so when the lane emerges at intersections I am blind and invisible til the last minute. Not a good combination.
Well you gotta compare apples to apples. If the protected bike lane is as wide as the one you have pictured and to the right of parked cars those sightline issues and pedestrian concerns become less of an issue. Sounds like the real problem is narrow bike lanes which are troublesome on either side of parked cars
Old 07-18-19, 07:38 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Now think about what the motorist likes. Are you encroaching onto "his" roads to his favor?

People frequently drive onto crosswalks, road shoulders, BUS/BIKE ONLY lanes and even sidewalks to move forward. Do you think they would hesitate to drive onto a bike lake if its in their favor? They'll see you coming and still rapid pull out in front of you. Scaring the chamois off you.
That's it. All separated bike lines did in Boulder was piss off the motoring public. Taking away a lane in a busy through-way did nothing for our cause. For such a "bike friendly" place, there sure are a lot of angry motorists, and this didn't help.
Old 07-18-19, 07:41 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Well you gotta compare apples to apples. If the protected bike lane is as wide as the one you have pictured and to the right of parked cars those sight line issues and pedestrian concerns become less of an issue. Sounds like the real problem is narrow bike lanes which are troublesome on either side of parked cars
That is true, narrow outside lanes are not good for the door issue you mentioned, which is why I prefer to ride in the road proper. My point was that the strategy to create separation from traffic that employs hashes rather than barriers of some kind is preferable because the barriers themselves become hazards. Wider lanes would be better, but even with wider inside lanes (which dont exist imn my area), parked cars are as tall as bike riders so you can't be seen or see over the tap. And you are pinned between barriers on both sides -- parked cars on one, curb on the other -- so options to avoid trouble are more limited.
Old 07-18-19, 08:02 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by DOS
That is true, narrow outside lanes are not good for the door issue you mentioned, which is why I prefer to ride in the road proper. My point was that the strategy to create separation from traffic that employs hashes rather than barriers of some kind is preferable because the barriers themselves become hazards. Wider lanes would be better, but even with wider inside lanes (which dont exist imn my area), parked cars are as tall as bike riders so you can't be seen or see over the tap. And you are pinned between barriers on both sides -- parked cars on one, curb on the other -- so options to avoid trouble are more limited.
At least around here, without barriers in urban areas the bike lanes just become de facto lyft/uber/ups parking. We can argue about left or ride side but protected bike lanes provide added benefit and protection that increases use by riders who are less comfortable mixing it up with traffic. They aren't really meant for the avg roadie
Old 07-18-19, 09:09 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
They just installed some in our downtown over the last year sometimes displacing the perfectly good bike lane. I dislike them. Even though it says bikes only...guess what...they become loading zones for trucks, pedestrians walk in them and cars still have to cross through them. It is okay, I suppose, for the slow going cruiser crowd, but I think they are a step back.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 07-18-19, 09:32 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
In NYC they repaved 1st and 2nd Avenues, both have parked car separated lanes. On 1st Avenue they changed the left turns from a left turning lane at the end of the parked cars, to one where the car should proceed to the intersection in the driving lane and then turn 90 degrees. Guess what happens? They turn perpendicular to the bikes and just go through. At least while they were parallel you could go around on the right side (of a left turning car), plus they are parallel to the bikes where they can see them. Its a disaster waiting to happen. This new idea is supposed to be an improvement but I don't think anybody really thought this out, or really rides a bike either.
Ironic, because cycling groups have been congratulating themselves on creating exactly that situation by extending the line of flexiposts with other objects right up to the intersection as guerrilla demonstration in places where the city hasn't.

There are arguments both ways, but yes, the more "installed" infrastructure tends to favor timid riding at the expense of what was working for existing vehicular type cyclists. The heavy infrastructure approach seems to be one of ride in a slow relaxed fashion between intersections (worrying mostly about pedestrian goofs and doors) and then exercise hyper vigilance at the crossings, vs the more traditional approach of interacting with the cars as if you were one.

It seems like incumbent cycling politics in NYC is in favor of everything that seems to favor bikes, even where it is maybe not the best idea in practice, or in other cases a sort of cycling behavior that should be allied with or defended.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-18-19 at 09:38 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.