Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 07-06-19, 08:31 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts

Looks like UG/HG to me, Yay!

Pic doesn't do it justice nor my '89s wheeels but maybe Shiny wheels will help.
​​​​​​​Looking at the sellers pics, it does seem to be both UG and HG. So green light for me if I decide to that way. The thing is, initially I wanted a modern looking wheel. But I have the same wheels (rims) and Dura Ace hubs (except freewheel) on my '86 Classic and they're nice. Also ala seypat, I think mixing a little Shiny in there will give it little more balance. Here's pics.
Old 07-06-19, 11:05 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Another convert.
Old 07-06-19, 11:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Front-end "shimmy" found....

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Seriously thinking of putting it back on the Carbon-R, which would make it OEM.
...on my Carbon-R. Put some jelly on it, it's toast. Anyone need a nice 56cm polished alloy Tange fork?
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-06-19, 11:24 AM
texaspandj

...on my Carbon-R. Put some jelly on it, it's toast. Anyone need a nice 56cm polished alloy Tange fork?
Where is that crack located?
Well, might as well do an autopsy to figure out how Centurion put their vintage carbons together.
Old 07-06-19, 12:57 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

That's the upper lug of the head tube, with the TT going to the R.
Old 07-06-19, 01:01 PM
texaspandj

That's the upper lug of the head tube, with the TT going to the R.
It had a good run. Rest In Pieces.
Old 07-06-19, 04:41 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Uuuuuuugg!
Old 07-06-19, 10:31 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I took and posted this from my phone. I didn't realize she had that frown. She wasn't crazy about me taking her picture. Maybe I should delete it.
Old 07-07-19, 03:48 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by TXsailor
I took and posted this from my phone. I didn't realize she had that frown. She wasn't crazy about me taking her picture. Maybe I should delete it.
Looked fine to me. It was probably just the Sun in her eyes. I say keep the pic in.
Old 07-07-19, 04:16 AM
texaspandj

Speaking of the Sun. It's been raining, flooding really in Texas for months now (probably the whole nation). But it's finally let off enough for them to forecast a whole week of No rain with the high in the 90s. The beautiful weather prediction corresponds with our hometown triathlon a week from today. It'll be a good one.
My favorite weather is blue skies and some white puffy (cumulus) clouds and about 80 to 95 degrees. Where in the World can you find sunny skies and 75 to 100 degree weather year round? Where ever that is, I'm getting me a one way ticket....oh and add a beach.
Today I'll ride a 40 to 50 miler on my Carbon Ironman. The same bike I'll be racing this weekend. The Carbon Ironman is fitted the same as my other Ironman. However the lighter weight is distinctive. Especially or Only when carrying it, or accelerating... it just kinda jumps. I can't really detect much difference on rough roads. Admittedly I'm only have a two mile section of chip seal or possibly crushed limestone, I don't know which one. But I don't like it. It's rough but mostly it Looks like it'll cut your tires. I'll try to take a pic of it today. That two mile section I'll describe as car lane, warning track then the part in ride on. So the car lane is kinda beat down but still noisey Inna car, the warning track is deep and will make your teeth rattle if you ride over it, and the section I'm ride on is not beat down but rather sharp. So I dislike it a lot.
Later Irongents, enjoy the good weather if you got it.
Old 07-07-19, 05:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

So what did you do with the HED Jets, Tex?
Old 07-07-19, 06:35 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Speaking of the Sun. It's been raining, flooding really in Texas for months now (probably the whole nation). But it's finally let off enough for them to forecast a whole week of No rain with the high in the 90s. The beautiful weather prediction corresponds with our hometown triathlon a week from today. It'll be a good one.
My favorite weather is blue skies and some white puffy (cumulus) clouds and about 80 to 95 degrees. Where in the World can you find sunny skies and 75 to 100 degree weather year round? Where ever that is, I'm getting me a one way ticket....oh and add a beach.
Today I'll ride a 40 to 50 miler on my Carbon Ironman. The same bike I'll be racing this weekend. The Carbon Ironman is fitted the same as my other Ironman. However the lighter weight is distinctive. Especially or Only when carrying it, or accelerating... it just kinda jumps. I can't really detect much difference on rough roads. Admittedly I'm only have a two mile section of chip seal or possibly crushed limestone, I don't know which one. But I don't like it. It's rough but mostly it Looks like it'll cut your tires. I'll try to take a pic of it today. That two mile section I'll describe as car lane, warning track then the part in ride on. So the car lane is kinda beat down but still noisey Inna car, the warning track is deep and will make your teeth rattle if you ride over it, and the section I'm ride on is not beat down but rather sharp. So I dislike it a lot.
Later Irongents, enjoy the good weather if you got it.
I can do you 85 - 110 year round, with a beach. The entire Yucatán coast. The cayes off Belize fit the bill as well.
Old 07-07-19, 07:45 AM
texaspandj

So what did you do with the HED Jets, Tex?
Still got em. They're tubular, so I'll use them strictly for racing.
I've mentioned this before but my only experience with deep section race wheels was in an half Ironman. I was using a prototype lent to me by a professional triathlete. It was a little tricky in cross winds. Hopefully these will be fine come Sundays race.
Old 07-07-19, 07:59 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Looked fine to me. It was probably just the Sun in her eyes. I say keep the pic in.
I deleted it before she saw it. After all I have to sleep with her sister. I'll put the other one back.
Old 07-07-19, 03:39 PM
texaspandj

Is this chip seal and is chip seal limestone?
Whatever it is I don't like it. I posted earlier that the Carbon Ironman is not much different than my steel Ironman on rough roads. However the Carbon is actually more forgiving on this shstuff.
It's road, white line, warning track, then section I ride on. Fortunately it's only two miles of it on my regular routes.
Old 07-07-19, 03:46 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I can do you 85 - 110 year round, with a beach. The entire Yucatán coast. The cayes off Belize fit the bill as well.
Duly noted.
Old 07-07-19, 04:10 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Uuuuuuugg!
that sucks. I still have not got around to trying to pin mine-
Old 07-07-19, 05:28 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Tell her we like the leg. After all, many of us are IronMEN.
Originally Posted by TXsailor
I deleted it before she saw it. After all I have to sleep with her sister. I'll put the other one back.
Old 07-07-19, 06:52 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts
She said , alcohol you later Robbie .
Old 07-07-19, 08:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Is this chip seal and is chip seal limestone?
Whatever it is I don't like it. I posted earlier that the Carbon Ironman is not much different than my steel Ironman on rough roads. However the Carbon is actually more forgiving on this shstuff.
It's road, white line, warning track, then section I ride on. Fortunately it's only two miles of it on my regular routes.
Yup. Chipseal is basically gravel glued together. It's only as good or bad as the aggregate. Some stuff feels like railroad ballast, those huge chunks of sharp edged mini-boulders.

The plus side, it's quick and durable.

The middling side, with enough heavy vehicle traffic the wheel tracks eventually smooth out a bit.

The downside, that never happens on shoulders or anywhere vehicles don't routinely travel.

I've switched the Ironman to 700x25, and I'd go x28 if they fit. But x25 with lower pressure makes it tolerable. I've had good luck with cheap Conti Ultra Sport II. I run the rear around 85 psi, front around 70 psi, and could probably go lower. A bit higher 2017-'18 when I weighed more, but I'm down to 150 lbs now, almost no risk of pinch flatting.

The Trekenstein feels rougher with 700x23 Conti Ultra Sport II, but that's partly due to higher pressure, lower handlebar and longer reach between the stem and brifters. I'm gonna try 700x25, see if they fit without rubbing. 700x28 is definitely out, no room in there.

Good bar wrap helps tame the hand-tingling vibration on chipseal. Or old tube wrap under nicer padded bar wrap. I scrounge REI and my LBS for whatever bar wrap is on sale. Usually the weirder colors are cheaper if they don't sell. I got some hi-viz yellow Arundel Synth Gecko for $15 because nobody wanted that color. It's as comfy as a triple wrap of tube strips, minus the black smudges on our hands afterward.

REI had some Eclypse "cork" foam wrap for around $7. It's not bad, but not up to the quality of Bontrager, Arundel, Fizik, etc. It's a little slippy when my hands are sweaty from electrolytes (my sweat gets really soapy feeling when I drink electrolytes). Better wrap stays grippy with sweaty mitts.
Old 07-08-19, 04:29 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

With crumbling infrastructure and a much larger % of tax revenue going to entitlements now vs. when many of these roads were built, the solution is to cut costs, and chip seal is cheap and durable (even with the bike-hostile rumble strip) compared to something that is easy to ride a bike on. That "wake-up" strip on the edge of the lane creates more danger for cyclists, but probably saves a few lives of motorists. A real headache for bicycling event planners, by the way, as they try to find routes without it.
Old 07-11-19, 10:29 AM
texaspandj

So Monday I start my ride using my '86 classic at 601pm. Now I have 4 stop lights before my main road then one more stop light before turn around. Also I probably should mention I have 2 stop signs. Since it's out and back, After the turnaround I have those same stops.
So I'm going along feeling good and strong. So since I have a triathlon "race" this weekend, I decide to push it a little. I'm going along at a pretty good clip. I don't use a cyclemeter and generally don't care about time but since I was pushing it I thought what the hey, lets see. Also I generally ride 26 miles and cut it to 20 miles.
When I finally get back and check my time. Im guessing 105 factoring in the stops of 3 minutes. Instead I look and the clock says 719 so 118 total time.
What the heck man? So basically 15mph. It doesn't build confidence in my "race" this weekend.
What happened? The whole time I'm thinking if someone is behind me they're gonna hurt catching me if they're by themselves. Funny thing is I wasn't hurting at all but yet still MOVING! well, so i thought.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-11-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 11:28 AM
seypat

So Monday I start my ride using my '86 classic at 601pm. Now I have 4 stop lights before my main road then one more stop light before turn around. Also I probably should mention I have 2 stop signs. Since it's out and back, After the turnaround I have those same stops.
So I'm going along feeling good and strong. So since I have a triathlon "race" this weekend, I decide to push it a little. I'm going along at a pretty good clip. I don't use a cyclemeter and generally don't care about time but since I was pushing it I thought what the hey, lets see. Also I generally ride 26 miles and cut it to 20 miles.
When I finally get back and check my time. Im guessing 105 factoring in the stops of 3 minutes. Instead I look and the clock says 719 so 118 total time.
What the heck man? So basically 15mph. It doesn't build confidence in my "race" this weekend.
What happened? The whole time I'm thinking if someone is behind me they're gonna hurt catching me if they're by themselves. Funny thing is I wasn't hurting at all but yet still MOVING! well, so i thought.
It happens to me all the time. You have those days where it feels like you're killing it. You check your pace/time and it shows you're not. Other days, it feels like everything is a struggle and you are creeping along like a turtle/snail. You check your pace/time and you are killing it. Go figure.
Old 07-11-19, 11:33 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Tex, the only way to really compare ride times is with a cyclometer- even a cheap, simple one will give you elapsed actual running time, so the number of stop signs and time spent at stop lights becomes irrelevant (other than any time lost in accelerating and decelerating). I've found that keeping records over time (I use a Moleskine so totally analog) on five of the main riding routes I use gives me true insight into my current fitness level. It doesn't always give me good news, but it does give me accurate information.

For example, at the beach each year, I do a daily 20 mile sprint. All out, nothing left on the table rides on the same bike that I've taken to the beach for years. Four years ago I struggled to keep my average for the 20 miles in the high teens. Sure, there's the heat factor, and the wind does change direction and strength from day to day, but over time and a large number of rides, it was clear that 18-19 was pretty much the max and it was HARD. After training with my SiL and daughter earlier in the summer, this year we exceeded 20 several times. Best was an average of 20.4. Without the inexpensive CatEye Strada cyclometer I use, would never have known about the improvement.
Old 07-11-19, 11:46 AM
seypat

I have a TomTom Spark 3 watch. It automatically takes out periods of stopped time. I don't have to pause it like some of the Garmins, FitBits, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.