Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the worst bicycle you ever owned?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the worst bicycle you ever owned?

Old 07-07-19, 04:16 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

Probably this one....circa 1956.
Old 07-07-19, 04:37 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Resuscitating a necro thread, are we?

Mid 90's Cannondale. Gawd, what a buzzy, harsh, POS. The chain stays were slightly off so the rear wheel didn't center. I gave it away because I couldn't bring myself to take money from anyone for that POS.

-Kedosto
Old 07-08-19, 08:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Stingray, 1969 or '70. I really thought I wanted one, but it wasn't satisfactory to ride. The novelty wore out quickly. I much preferred my next bike a year later, a conventional 3-speed city bike.

Since then I can make just about any decent bike work. It's just a matter of fit -- getting the right saddle, handlebar, stem, reach, etc.

Well, almost any bike. I still can't get along with a recumbent a friend loaned me a year ago. I think I did one lap around the parking lot, hated it, never took it out again.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-08-19, 10:24 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
It was some forgettable Performance house branded road bike, my first one. From the first ride to the last, the thing was a noise machine. Something was always creaking or popping or clicking or whatever else. I was practically afraid to really hammer on it, or descend fast on it. I'm also a noise stickler, so I'm already predisposed to hating any noise coming from my bike. I don't even remember what I did with it, I may have returned it, but it was so forgettable.
Old 07-09-19, 08:12 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
My first couple of bikes in the '70's. Friction shifters, hubs that needed repacking all the time, heavy wheels and tires unless you used sew-ups, and then you had to deal with flats. Don't let old guys tell you that their bikes were great - they weren't. Started riding a road bike again years later when integrated shifters were in use - what a huge difference! Most decent quality modern road and mountain bikes are amazing as long as you get the size right.
Old 07-09-19, 10:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
My first bike was my worst bike. I had already learned how to ride using my aunt's full sized adult bike, so my father was forced into buying me a bike. The one he bought was as cheap as he could find, we didn't have very much money. The bike he bought was awful. It was a fixed gear with no brakes. It was so poorly made that I broke the chain several times. He had to take it back and he bought me what was possibly the best bike I have ever had. My dad came through for me. He bought me a great bike
Old 07-10-19, 10:38 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It pains me to say this because I loved the bike. It was my first "racing" bike -- my first 10-speed (when 10-speed meant 10 TOTAL speeds -- 2 in front, 5 in back). It was probably a '72 aluminum-framed Mossberg. Amazing bike. Incredible bike. Beautiful paint. Very fast. But with one flaw. The frame didn't hold together very well. The head tube / top tube junction would crack and separate every couple months. I would have it brazed. It would crack and separate again. Brazed again. Cracked again. Within 18 months, it wasn't repairable or sellable. It went to the dump.

I miss the old Mossberg. But its aluminum frame wasn't ready for public consumption.
Old 07-10-19, 10:49 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Next Sierra Key. Was a surprise from my mom, yes, it was.
Old 07-20-19, 05:03 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Unknown name brand or what ever but as a child the bike with metal fenders cut my legs so badly i wear two long scars on my right leg from being cut up after a ride. Multiple stitches 🧵
Old 07-20-19, 06:51 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
2009ish Fuji SL1. I've had several Fuji road bikes but that SL1 was the only one I hated. It was a hair too big and had this awesome front end wobble at 30mph, every descent sucked.
Old 07-20-19, 08:00 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Long before joining BF and having not dealt/ridden bikes for almost 40 years: wife wanted that purple bike in the Goodwill.... Turned out to be a newish Roadmaster that fell apart quickly. Replaced with a Trek and stripped what little was salvageable.... That company and it's distributors should be locked up for fraud... those are not bikes!
Old 07-21-19, 06:26 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
BSOs sure are crappy these days.

BITD, the cheap stuff generally wasn't utter junk, except most of the design was pretty shabby.

My first bike was my worst; a Peugot folder. What a piece of ****.

As a mechanic, I've come across another class of terrible bike; a mid-range machine that should be half decent, but instead just has problem after problem. Saw a few like that, and it just seemed to be like a random curse.

Last edited by Kimmo; 07-21-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-24-19, 07:35 AM
nak45z

Bikes: 2012 Alchemy Ti, 2001 Litespeed Arenberg, 2019 Cannondale Trail 5, 1990 GT Performer, 1986 Kuwahara Bravo KT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Can't say I ever had a bad one. The most disappointing was my Giant TCR C2 I bought new in '06. I fell for the carbon hype and during my first real ride I knew I had wasted over 2000 dollars. The magic carbon carpet ride I had heard all about never materialized. Sold it after a year, I had other steel and alu bikes I rode more. Good looking bike, though.
After a car ran us over, I replaced it with a '08 Giant TCR C2, and I too fell for the Carbon hype. I rode it for 4 months, and I went out to find a Ti bike. I ended up riding that Lynskey Ti bike for years.
Old 07-24-19, 05:28 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Worst ever was a long time ago. Schwinn Sting Ray with the 5 speed stick shift on the top tube. Banana seat, horrible pedaling position, it was for really short rides, at best. I outgrew it pretty quick. Yes, I was pretty young at the time.
Old 07-25-19, 08:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
this thread is equivalent to asking " what was the worst sex you ever had?"

Some are better than others but none are worse than no bike (or no sex) at all.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-25-19, 08:11 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Worst ever was a long time ago. Schwinn Sting Ray with the 5 speed stick shift on the top tube. Banana seat, horrible pedaling position, it was for really short rides, at best. I outgrew it pretty quick. Yes, I was pretty young at the time.
and if you still had that bike in pristine condition, it would sell for 10 times what you paid for it.

Horrible bike to ride a century on

Great bike to tool around with your pre teen friends
Old 07-25-19, 08:18 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Terex
My first couple of bikes in the '70's. Friction shifters, hubs that needed repacking all the time, heavy wheels and tires unless you used sew-ups, and then you had to deal with flats. Don't let old guys tell you that their bikes were great - they weren't. Started riding a road bike again years later when integrated shifters were in use - what a huge difference! Most decent quality modern road and mountain bikes are amazing as long as you get the size right.
So, I'll take a Reynolds 531 double butted frame (or Columbus SLS) with Campy Nuevo Record Group, with (horrors) hubs that need to be repacked occasionally and down tube friction shifters.

You get your Parlee F5, and any modern group set and wheel set.

Any course any time.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-26-19, 06:11 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
True, true...

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
and if you still had that bike in pristine condition, it would sell for 10 times what you paid for it.

Horrible bike to ride a century on

Great bike to tool around with your pre teen friends
And that's all I did with it. Mid-sixties, I think. We lived, during the summer, on the coast in Seabrook NH where all the rides were short on flat roads. Great for that, but anything over a few miles and it was horrible.

I also had a Schwinn Corvette that I recently sold. But I liked that bike. It was a tank.
Old 07-27-19, 08:46 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I forgot the brand, but it was bought at Wal-Mart
Old 07-27-19, 11:56 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I had a 1970s Raleigh Record with a Huret Alvit rear derailleur. I thought it was the greatest bike ever when I first bought it. Over time, the rear derailleur began to fail and not shift correctly. I mistakenly thought that all road bikes shifted like crap and gave up cycling. Many years later, I returned to cycling via mountain biking. I dug out the old Raleigh and realized the problem was the rear derailleur was a POS design.
Old 07-29-19, 09:38 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
So, I'll take a Reynolds 531 double butted frame (or Columbus SLS) with Campy Nuevo Record Group, with (horrors) hubs that need to be repacked occasionally and down tube friction shifters.

You get your Parlee F5, and any modern group set and wheel set.

Any course any time.
And you're about 10 years too late. In my late 50's when I was riding with Cat I's and some women pros it would have been great fun. However fast your are currently, you'd be faster on a modern top end bike. And you know that.
Old 07-30-19, 04:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Terex
And you're about 10 years too late. In my late 50's when I was riding with Cat I's and some women pros it would have been great fun. However fast your are currently, you'd be faster on a modern top end bike. And you know that.
Marginally. Flat crit, the extra 3-4lbs would cost a few seconds. Less aero wheels would cost you a little top end speed sprinting, but almost nothing sitting in the draft.

The weight would matter on hilly road course, but it would still be a small difference.

There's enough difference that it would matter at an elite level where every one is extremely talented, and hyper fit. Recreational riding, and even most levels of amateur racing, fitness and ability of the rider is still way more important than the marginal tech advances.
Old 07-30-19, 08:17 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
marginal tech advances.
Brifters weren't a marginal advance; they were the final design element of the road bike that was too long coming.

Can't change gear while standing? You're getting dropped.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-13-20, 01:51 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
1989 Huffy

The worst bike I ever rode was a 1989 Huffy that I bought at Target. I rode it for a short amount of time, and had to get rid of it because the frame cracked. Just say no to Huffy!
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 09-13-20, 01:56 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Worst bike? A Nishiki cruiser that weighed a ton, complete with a banana seat, high-rise bars, monstrously-tall gearing, and a flexi fork that folded on me. Those were the early '70s for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.