Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Old 06-03-19, 05:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Bike is being packed today and will be shipped to the Missoula REI tomorrow. I fly out on June 15th. 14 days with one no-move day. On that day I hope to ride as much of a road through the wilderness out of Yaak. Excited to finally bag the Route of the Hiawatha Trail. That first big climb at mile 74 is 16 miles, 15 of which are unpaved. Over 3,200' of elevation gain. Sure makes me nervous.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29428535?beta=false
Old 07-09-19, 04:09 PM
hartmame

Bikes: 95' Kona Kula, built up 11' Surly LHT frame...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Two Weeks more...

I'm doing a Piece Meal Tour across the country. Last year I rode from Portland, Maine to Columbus, Ohio. This year from Xenia, Ohio to La Crosse, Wisconsin. I originally wanted to ride it all in one summer but I couldn't get that much time off work so I decided that I better get started if I were going to have a chance to get there in this life time.
Old 07-15-19, 11:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Thanks to LeeG for comments on the bugs in Canadian Maritimes. I used my headnet that I was not planning to bring until I got a comment from LeeG.

Got home a couple days ago. Loop out of Halifax for roughly 5 weeks, about 1,500 km for a relaxed trip. The numbers on the graphic are where I stayed in YYMMDD date format.

Old 07-16-19, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Sketching my early September route. Somehow across PA again. An old friend has a B&B/camping place in NW PA, just south of the NY border. (You actually have to go into NY and then back into PA to reach it.) I may incorporate a stop there after starting in Erie. Another option is riding the GAP again as part of a tour I did in 2013. Starting in Pittsburgh is attractive because one-way rental cars there are relatively inexpensive.

Leaning towards a southern crossing including the GAP. Still recovering from surgery and don't know if I will be up for something hillier.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-24-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-10-19, 07:24 PM
zinfamous

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I plan to visit Thessaloniki, Greece. What the best/cheapest way to travel in Greece? Has anyone used Thessaloniki Car Rental before?

Last edited by zinfamous; 09-09-19 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-11-19, 02:43 PM
foolishdrew
Man on a Quest

Bikes: Montague paratrooper few modifications including suspension forks that go from suspension and lock to increase speed custom paint job Urban camouflage AKA Paratrooper Urban Assault plans for the near future front hub mounted electric motor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man on a quest....

Hello I have a plan did I would like some serious advice and guidance on I have a plan to ride Oakland California to Riverside California depending on the route it's a trip of 450 to 600 miles I already have an idea of what I plan on riding a utility bike modified with the electric motor with a trailer it has a small gas generator and maybe adding alternator to allow me to charge as I ride I have a spotter someone that's going to ride with me well not right with you but drive the car behind me this will be my first time trying anything this extreme I have done some pretty long distances Hayward to Vallejo Modesto to Fremont but this one will take the cake so any advice guidance anything will help thank you
Old 09-17-19, 01:23 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Returned from my personal "Tour de France" with the hubby. The trip was (mostly) successful. The bikes were quite a downgrade from what we ride at home. Mine worked ok, but the hubby had a lot of issues with the front derailleur and brake. When we returned the bikes to the shop, we didn't want anything from them, but did complain about the condition and strongly recommended they do some routine maintenance before sending them out again.

My rented steed. Adequate, but i missed my Ruby.

Got lost coming out of Tours, but eventually found the route along the Cher River

First stop - Chateau de Villandry. Known for having the most beautiful gardens in France. It's up there but I've been to Versailles and was totally charmed by Monet's garden in Giverny.

The Chateau d'Usse is said to be the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty. It does look like something out of a fairy tale.
Old 09-18-19, 04:06 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rode the Loire a'Velo across France in June/July. Had to take some trains when the heat waves became unbearable, but had a really good time. This was my wife's first self supported tour and it worked out well. Leaving again in a couple of weeks to do a solo trip from Santa Rosa (home) to the Mexican border. I'll take Amtrak back to Oakland, then pedal home afterward.
Old 09-24-19, 01:37 PM
ossie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just returned from a couple of weeks in Germany and the Netherlands (again). Exceptional off road cycling paths, brilliant camp sites and luckily great weather.
Old 12-23-20, 01:58 PM
Gypsy1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gypsy1
A week before June I'll head off from Rapid City to Denver for a meditation workshop and either head back or do a Nebraska ride ( Tour de "something") I just seen it but am ride/race across the state. In July, some friends want to take a trip to ride the twin cities ( they're driving, bike while there and drive back), I'll cycle there ahead and drive back with them. In August, I'm cycling to do the Ragbrai (Rapid City to Iowa) then cycle back. September/October start the trek South. I'm tied of Winter! Plan is to ride to Argentina, i have no routes, plans, or goals; just explore, have an adventure and enjoy life. I'll be broke so going solo is best. Wild camp and stay away from major cities. Doing the bike build now and will post all the specs and pictures. Happy Riding!
2-3 days after completing the bike build, I took off from Rapid City, SD to Denver, CO (RT) as mentioned however didn't make it it to Ragbrai, I had put much resources in the bike build but realized I didn't have actual camping gear... I did do some regional mini tours including The Badlands while building the camping gear list...

Well as far as the other plans... Covid 19 happened! I still departed on June 22nd 2020 from Rapid City, SD after getting rid of all the "stuff", just the bike, gear and myself. I rode through Wyoming, returned back through Colorado up over the Rockies through NM and currently in Tucson, AZ hanging out for the winter... I must say, the tour has only started, and would call it an "Adventure"!