Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light mount for rim brakes & handlebar bag

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 05:10 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts

All -

I've been torn between posting this in commuting, touring, and here. As the bike is being used for the other two purposes. I'm departing in late September for a week long credit-card tour with some buddies and we're traveling light. I'm going with my Mercian, a handlebar mounted bag (Swift Paloma) and some panniers.

My Mercian has brake calipers (Tektro 539s) and no front rack or fork braze-on mounts. I most likely won't be putting fenders on as it doesn't rain in the greater Sacramento area till October (if we're lucky).

Due to the size of my bag and it's locating, handlebar mounted lights are out. I tried a VO mount (https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ccessory-mount) and didn't love it. I found that the beam sat up too high/parallel to the ground and on a few test rides with friends had them complaining about head on blindness.

Looking for some assistance recommendations on alternatives. I have dual Bontrager Ion lights at my disposal (no helmet mount).
Old 07-09-19, 06:49 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I just ordered a "Nob" computer mount. Peter White has them on his web site with pictures of them used as fork mounts for dynamo lights. Their on ebay but there seem to have been 3 or 4 different brand name versions. I'm useing the "Nob" to mount a battery light to one of the bull horns of a Velo Orange Crazy bar, for the the same reason of clearing the handle bar bag.
Old 07-09-19, 10:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
When I use an AGU handlebar bag with KlickFix mount it blocks most handlebar mounted accessories -- lights, video camera.

So I mount my light on the head tube. It clears underneath the bag, no problems with seeing the road, and the bottom of the bag blocks spill overhead where it doesn't illuminate much of anything useful anyway.

I've used a NiteRider Lumina and Light & Motion Urban light that way. No problems.

If the light's supplied mount doesn't cover the head tube, a Two Fish rubber light mount block with velcro straps may work as a substitute. I used a Two Fish mount to replace my Light & Motion headlight's broken rubber band mount.

A couple of friends use light mounts on their forks with dual headlights. Works fine. I don't know what hardware they use but there are a few options for fork mounts.
Old 07-10-19, 09:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's ugly, but it works great. I took some PVC pipe and cut it short. I mitered the inner end to fit the contour of the fork. I cut slits in it with a hacksaw. I attached it to the fork with a hose clamp. You see the rubber band light mount on it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-19, 05:25 PM
softreset

Thanks all the tips so far. The 'nob' looks worth a try to start and then go from there. I'm reluctant to put a hose clamp on my fork (and damage the wonderful paint) but if I put an insulation barrier between it and the fork that would work.

Looks like there's options!
Old 07-10-19, 08:17 PM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fork crown mounts are easily the best option, and will clear your bags. Lights on the fork blades tend to leave a huge shadow. Your Mercian deserves something classy, too.
Old 07-11-19, 12:10 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I bought a hokey accessory bar that clamps to the handlebar, but, despite juggling with its spacers to try to get it to stay put it was always moving going over bumps. The solution was to mount it straight up vertically so gravity didn't pull it down. With it being vertical it also has easier access while riding being closer to me than stuff mounted directly on the handlebar.

Old 07-12-19, 12:59 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Check this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ole-mount.html
Old 07-12-19, 03:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by angerdan
What does that attach to?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-13-19, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

There are aluminum mounts similar to Tom's homebrew that mount to quick releases (or fixed skewers) or fork crown holes for fenders/brakes. They don't cost too much either.

The trick to minimizing shadows with fork mounted lights is to mount pairs, one on each fork. At least two folks I ride with do that. Works fine. Enhances their to-be-seen visibility from afar as well.
Old 07-13-19, 02:50 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Depending on how deep your handlebar bag is a fork crown mount might fit
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessor...ssory-bracket/
Old 07-13-19, 10:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by canklecat
There are aluminum mounts similar to Tom's homebrew that mount to quick releases (or fixed skewers) or fork crown holes for fenders/brakes. They don't cost too much either.

The trick to minimizing shadows with fork mounted lights is to mount pairs, one on each fork. At least two folks I ride with do that. Works fine. Enhances their to-be-seen visibility from afar as well.
I have one of those, and it replaces the nut on the front wheel skewer. It works, but since the light ends up being very low, aiming the light is tricky. It's too easy to aim the light too high. It's not an ideal height for a headlight.

Old 07-13-19, 11:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I've noticed that problem with the fork-mounted lights a couple of friends use. They can be quite blinding.

That problem could be resolved if more bike headlights used beam shaping lenses like automobile and motorcycle headlights. But there are few of those for bicycles.

Originally Posted by noglider
I have one of those, and it replaces the nut on the front wheel skewer. It works, but since the light ends up being very low, aiming the light is tricky. It's too easy to aim the light too high. It's not an ideal height for a headlight.
Old 07-14-19, 03:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by canklecat
I've noticed that problem with the fork-mounted lights a couple of friends use. They can be quite blinding.

That problem could be resolved if more bike headlights used beam shaping lenses like automobile and motorcycle headlights. But there are few of those for bicycles.
I have the problem with my B&M shaped-beam light, too. Getting the angle so the sharp edge doesn't point up is tricky. The lower the mount, the trickier it is. And I can't reach my axle while I'm on the bike.

Old 07-15-19, 06:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
As mentioned above, mounting a light at axle height is not ideal but I did that on my errand bike. I was not planning to put a dynohub wheel on that bike since I rarely ride it after dark, but I got a fantastic deal from a dealer on a new wheel that was pulled off of another bike. And I had a vintage dyno powered light in storage, so I upgraded the bike to dyno headlamp. The light is mounted on a piece of threaded rod in the fender mount on the fork dropout.

Old 07-15-19, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Peter White has some ideas

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.php

I have some things I saved on my Amazon wish list that might be of interest

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUPC1F6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761RX64G...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CJXB5E...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00458F88C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029LKZNU...v_ov_lig_dp_it

but what about going back to that high bar mount you have & pointing your light down a little? maybe add a DIY beam cutoff hood? but maybe that bag would make a distracting shadow? so you have panniers then you have a rear rack? do you also have a trunk on top of that rack? if not, add that & ditch the front bar bag?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-17-19 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 03:40 PM
softreset

Interesting, in doing some additional research, I never thought about the quick release mounts. The handlebar mount that creates the elevated rail isn't going to work with the length/depth of my bag. The light has to be too close to parallel to the ground and even on low beam it was blinding oncoming traffic/cyclists. About 8 miles of my daily commute is on a two way MUP so I can't have that, long-term.
Old 07-16-19, 06:48 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
All -

I've been torn between posting this in commuting, touring, and here. As the bike is being used for the other two purposes. I'm departing in late September for a week long credit-card tour with some buddies and we're traveling light. I'm going with my Mercian, a handlebar mounted bag (Swift Paloma) and some panniers.

My Mercian has brake calipers (Tektro 539s) and no front rack or fork braze-on mounts. I most likely won't be putting fenders on as it doesn't rain in the greater Sacramento area till October (if we're lucky).

Due to the size of my bag and it's locating, handlebar mounted lights are out. I tried a VO mount (https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ccessory-mount) and didn't love it. I found that the beam sat up too high/parallel to the ground and on a few test rides with friends had them complaining about head on blindness.

Looking for some assistance recommendations on alternatives. I have dual Bontrager Ion lights at my disposal (no helmet mount).
Why cant you just rotate the light in the mount itself? It’s hard to believe a few inches in mount height with the light aimed appropriately would make any difference in beam pattern or aiming.