Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 Kona Sutra.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 Kona Sutra.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 06:46 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Oedipus
Hi all, I'm looking at several touring bikes and strongly considering the Kona Sutra - the one thing I can't seem to find anywhere is the weight. Does anyone here with one know the stock weight of the bike?
While Seeker's points above would generally be correct, I recently weighed my partner's 48cm 2017 Kona Sutra when we were packing it up to fly home from our last trip. IIRC it was 14.something kgs. I want to say 14.3, but I'm not totally sure of the exact number. It was not high 14, like 14.8 or something because it would've stuck in my head as 'almost 15.' That was with the rack and fenders, without bottle cages or other little add ons, maybe without pedals but I'm not totally sure on that one.
Old 07-03-19, 01:48 AM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Note to others, this is a resurrected nearly 1-year-old thread.
Yeah, within the next couple months or so the 2020 specs will probably be published. The changes from 2018 to 2019 weren't that significant, but we'll see what happens with the 2020 model.
Old 07-17-19, 08:47 PM
AlanK

Originally Posted by AlanK
Yeah, within the next couple months or so the 2020 specs will probably be published. The changes from 2018 to 2019 weren't that significant, but we'll see what happens with the 2020 model.
Speaking of which... The 2020 specs are out. The cassette is now 10-spd (2019 model is 9-spd) and the fork now has additional cargo brazons. Otherwise it seems same as best I can tell. Same price as well.
https://www.konaworld.com/sutra.cfm

Last edited by AlanK; 08-06-19 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 10:56 AM
brett.mortley
FargoMort

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Fuji Gran Fondo, Maverick Matic 70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Large person opinion

I am 6’4”, 230lbs, 36.5” inseam, with shoulder/ neck issues when strung out to far and looking for a road touring bike. I also have bad hamstring flexibility. I currently ride a Salsa Fargo, Large with 700x38c tires on it. The Fargo is a great bike but rides entirely different with it’s true tires on it, 29”x2.2”, plus I got a Large vs XL due to liking a more upright feel, shorter top tube. Which was probably a bad decision. I also recently switched to Jones 2.5 hbars. And I have Ritchey riser stem at about 45 degrees. If I put even 2 lbs in my handlebar bag it gets wobbly. But I finally achieved my handlebars being even with my seat and no neck issues. I am looking to transform my Fargo back to its intended off road tires and purpose. Then I plan on getting one of the following. Sutra, Disc Trucker, Giramondo. After all that I can’t find any in my size locally to even sit on. Looking to get XL or 58 60cm. Worried about hitting me heal on panniers on the Sutra or the DT putting to much pressure on my neck and shoulders if I don’t make it look stupid like my Fargo fixes, a Giramondo post said the frame flexes and is wobbly. Any thoughts on this or things I haven’t considered for a Clydesdale rider like me???

Last edited by brett.mortley; 11-24-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Wrong inseam
Old 11-25-19, 08:00 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
They really went for a short stem on that new 2020. Looks like 50 or 60mm?
Old 11-25-19, 05:38 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
^ It looks more like 75-80mm to me. Regardless, some owners will certainly have to use a short stem with the 2020 Kona Sutra due to the long TT. Standover height is a bit high too; it's 2cm higher than Surly LHT/DT in sizes 54, 56 and 58 with essentially same size tires.

Size/ST 46 48.5 52 54 56 58
TT Length 527 540 553 569 585 603
Standover 745 765 785 810 830 850
Old 11-18-20, 05:18 AM
TrippyZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reviving this long dead thread to add the following about the Kona Sutra Rack;

I raised a warranty claim with Kona and was told that the lower rails are not for carrying panniers and so that is why they failed. You are only to use the top rail. I was amazed to be told this as the lower rail is perfect for placing my ortliebs and then strapping my tent onto the top rail.

So therefore there is nothing wrong with the welding, it is just the dumb users.
Old 11-18-20, 11:08 AM
AlanK

Originally Posted by TrippyZ

I raised a warranty claim with Kona and was told that the lower rails are not for carrying panniers and so that is why they failed. You are only to use the top rail. I was amazed to be told this as the lower rail is perfect for placing my ortliebs and then strapping my tent onto the top rail.

So therefore there is nothing wrong with the welding, it is just the dumb users.
Hmm. How did you attempt to attach panniers to the lower rails of the rear rack? I'd think that'd be unadvisable on most racks, which is apparently the case.

Last edited by AlanK; 11-18-20 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 01:23 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TrippyZ

Most anyone who's owned a Logo style rack attaches their bags to lower rails so that top rack top may be used for other gear, frequently a tent, which is often wet and needs sunlight to dry. It sounds like you used Kona's rack in the same manner as 9 out of 10 owners.

The lower rails on this rack design (an inferior copy of Tubus' Logo) are practically useless for anything but serving as a lower-center-of-gravity attachment point for panniers. If it were me, I'd definitely contest Kona's BS response to this warranty claim. Apparently Kona's rack is for looks / bike sales only, and not to be used for actually carrying bags in a loaded touring application. If this is Kona's official position on on their rack, then the Sutra webpage should include a disclaimer which states rack cannot actually be used in the usual manner, i.e. carrying loaded bags. I wonder what Kona thinks those lower rails are for?

Consider buying a Logo rack (if you like that design) from a seller with good return policy in case you can't fit it to your Sutra (but you probably can). Once you've fit it, take a picture and send it to Kona along with your denied warranty claim - maybe this will compel them to reimburse you for the expense of replacing their faulty product. BTW, a rack that breaks from simply carrying a pannier is a potential cycling safety hazard. Maybe you should share your experience with this organization:

https://www.cpsc.gov/recalls?combine=kona
Old 11-18-20, 02:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Most anyone who's owned a Logo style rack attaches their bags to lower rails so that top rack top may be used for other gear, frequently a tent, which is often wet and needs sunlight to dry. It sounds like you used Kona's rack in the same manner as 9 out of 10 owners.

The lower rails on this rack design (an inferior copy of Tubus' Logo) are practically useless for anything but serving as a lower-center-of-gravity attachment point for panniers. If it were me, I'd definitely contest Kona's BS response to this warranty claim. ...
Fully agree. Those lower rails are there for that reason.

My Tubus Logo EVO was designed for that exact purpose, those lower rails do not serve any other purpose. See photo.

That said, check to see how much time you have on that warranty. I have heard that the warranty on the rack on the Trek 520 is a shorter time span than on the bike itself. They consider the rack an accessory and not a bike component, or some such argument. Kona might not warranty the rack to the same terms as the rest of the bike, check the fine print in the warranty.
Old 11-18-20, 10:00 PM
AlanK

The lower rails on this rack design (an inferior copy of Tubus' Logo) are practically useless for anything but serving as a lower-center-of-gravity attachment point for panniers. If it were me, I'd definitely contest Kona's BS response to this warranty claim. Apparently Kona's rack is for looks / bike sales only, and not to be used for actually carrying bags in a loaded touring application. If this is Kona's official position on on their rack, then the Sutra webpage should include a disclaimer which states rack cannot actually be used in the usual manner, i.e. carrying loaded bags. I wonder what Kona thinks those lower rails are for?
I think the stock racks are Blackburn. Certainly not Tubus quality, but probably fine for light to moderate loads. I agree that if you're doing an extensive unsupported tour with lots of gear a better rack is advisable.