Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Pinarello Montello SLX (??)

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1985 Pinarello Montello SLX (??)

Old 02-03-16, 08:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3691 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
With all due respect, that is incorrect. Grewal did not ride a Montello when he won the gold medal at the Olympics. This is a coommon misconception due to the colour scheme and internal rear brake cable routing. However, if you look at pictures of his bicycle you can see that it does not have an SLX sticker (i.e red border) but a an SL sticker (i.e blue border).

You can also see that the tubes are not round like a Montello but oval/tear drop. Alexi's frame was a special version of the Record frame with modifications to enhance aerodynamics. If you look at the Record frame and Super Record Equipe models in the 1985 catalog, they claim that this bicycle won the '84 Olympics but the catalogued frames/bicycles clearly have round tubes and external rear brake cable. The Arco LA84 used by Alexi was an uncatalogued model, which makes the OP's bicycles highly collectible.
Cool. I still think I have a better thread title for the OP than the one he suggested though, .
Old 07-19-19, 11:31 AM
SidDunn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slx

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
OK, mystery solved. It is an Pinarello Arco LA84. These frames were manufactured circa 1984/1985 and it is the model used by Alexi Grewal when he won the gold medal at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. The aero tubes are modified Columbus SL. I have never seen this particular model catalogued, though the Arco LA84 paint scheme was used on other models. The uncatalogued nature suggests it was a special, limited edition model. I don't know if Pinarello offered these world wide or if it was exclusive to Gita (the USA Pinarello distributor) or possibly even Denver Spoke (Alexi's sponsor).

IMO, this is far more desirable than a Montello. Given the rarity and collectibility of this model, I would seriously reconsider whether you want to repaint this or not. Personally, I 'd be preserving it at is and be searching out components to rebuild it identical to Alexi's bicycle. It's just too bad that you don't ride a large frame, like Alexi.
Jumping on late but yeah, you might want to hold on to it. I bought a Montello the first year it came out after selling my year old Pinarello which I only know as a Treviso. The Montello is still my baby that I built up with Super Record. No oval main tubes on it. Chrome forks with sloping crown lugs (the older Treviso did not) and fully chrome rear triangle.. Also, this was the first year SLX was used, which has spiralled ribbing in the main tubes where they were brazed to lugs. Your right, Gita was sole distributor to U.S. I bought it from Performance Bike shop in Chapel Hill when it was the only Performance Bike. But yeah, no oval tubes on first ones because I had it before Grewal's gold medal. Pinarello did not clear coat decals but still pretty neat ghost look. 1984 the year.