Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dental-friendly ride snacks

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-27-17, 01:53 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there 50-plussers, it's been a long time since I've been here and I'm now 60! How did that happen? We're still riding and enjoying every mile with smiles.

I'm awaiting a dental implant next month (titanium vs. zirconium, still debating that) to replace an old root-canaled tooth that led to infection to the bone. But wait, there's more: I also have almost a dozen (!!!) crowns and a few remaining old root canals. This is my first implant, and I'm determined to make it my last. Thanks to religious use of my Water-pik, and careful flossing and brushing, in the past several years I've had much fewer problems and almost never any new decay. However, I am making certain dietary changes to prevent this from ever happening again. I've given up 99% grains and sugar, coffee and reduced overall phytic-acid intake to almost nothing... also beefed up mineral intake, more healthy fats for the very important fat-soluble vitamins (grass-fed butter! pastured eggs! whole-fat milk, liver), bone broths, etc.

Anyway..... I'm gathering some nutritious and effective tooth/gum-friendly snacks to eat on longer rides, that won't stick to my gums and are easy to rinse out with water. That leaves out raisins, Lara bars, Gu, Cliff bars, and any other sticky/gummy foods. A few that come to mind:
- Apple wedges
- Soft nuts (walnuts)
- Good well-fermented sourdough bread with smooth natural (sugarless) peanut butter and maybe a spread of coconut oil.

I would love to see some other ideas. Thank you!
Old 01-27-17, 02:41 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Yen - There's a Training & Nutrition forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/training-nutrition/). That might be a better question for folks who frequent it. I'm not much into nutrition.

Dan
Old 01-27-17, 02:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Yen - There's a Training & Nutrition forum (Training & Nutrition - Bike Forums). That might be a better question for folks who frequent it. I'm not much into nutrition.

Dan
Oh yes, thank you - I forgot about that forum. I came straight here, thinking that perhaps the older riders (50-60+) might have similar dental experiences and concerns. I'll post in the T&N forum as well. Thank you!
Old 01-27-17, 03:28 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
String cheese and boiled eggs are two things I like to take on a ride - if it's summer, I just put them on a little bag of ice and zip into my pack. Soft, good nutrition.
Old 01-27-17, 04:03 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think if you have good O rings and keep them updated every 6 months, you shouldn't have to worry about what you eat.

Welcome back.
Old 01-27-17, 06:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Try gel packs for energy while riding with few or no breaks.

But if you're riding far enough, long enough to eat real food, take a toothbrush, small container of mouthwash (the stuff that's painful to swish around, like Listerine -- works well on plaque) and hydrogen peroxide. Use of the latter -- peroxide -- is occasionally challenged so check with your dentist. I've used it as a final rinse for years and it's helped reduce gum inflammations.

Ditto, Water Piks. Great devices. There's even a smaller battery powered one. The rechargeable kinds last only about a year, though.

Might seem like overkill but it'll all fit in a a pouch in a rack bag or handlebar bag. None of my rides are far enough or long enough to need all this, but if I still took 100 mile or longer rides and was gone overnight I'd carry a full tooth care kit.
Old 01-28-17, 08:21 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks to a trend that started with a crappy dentist who pulled 6 teeth in 2 weeks when I was in the USAF many years ago, most of my upper teeth are gone and I have a partial that had taken their place. I too have found that I can't eat sticky, gooey foods. I take GU gels, Hammer gels and (Clif) Kit's Organic bars (pumpkin/cherry or peanut butter) for my riding snacks. With the bars I have to take small bites and chew carefully or it tends to stick to the partial and that's not fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.