Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Best line for Flying 200m on 250m track

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 10:04 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only have real race experience, both spectating and competing, for the Flying 200m on a 333m track, not on a 250m track. On a 333 track, the 200m line is just after the start of the back stretch on the 333 so you hug the rail and use the banking as you come off the turn to get that last little bit of speed. However, on a 250m track, the 200m line is between turn 1 & 2....what is the best line to achieve maximum speed before you hit it? I have done a few practice sessions on a 250 track, but never had a chance to observe a race with racers doing full effort 200's to see their lines. Do you hug the rail going into turn 3 and then use the banking to achieve max rpm's coming out of turn 4 and entering the sprinters lane as you cross the start/finish line? Or would you prefer to be in the sprinters lane before the start/finish line or be a little higher on the track still and coming into the sprinters lane just as you enter turn 1? Unfortunately, all of the TV coverage of the world cups and olympics I've seen never show the 200's, they just show the medal round sprints so you never get a sense of what goes on before hand. Any descriptions, pictures or videos would be greatly appreciated. I know time on the track, experience and repeated 200's is the best way, but I don't have that luxury with the closest 250 track being 10 hours away.
Old 06-02-17, 10:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I'm fairly new to this, but I did attend a clinic at a 250m track and was instructed on the line to take.

I was told to hug the rail into turn three, and then coming out of turn 4, aim to hit the start/finish line where it intersected with the blue line, and carry that line to enter the sprinters lane about halfway between start/finish and the 200m mark. I was told that would give me the longest downhill stretch on the track.
Old 06-02-17, 10:45 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a general over view of one line is presented in the UP!UP!UP! website. Sorry I don't have the link but you can find it on Google.
Old 06-02-17, 10:48 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm fairly new to this, but I did attend a clinic at a 250m track and was instructed on the line to take.

I was told to hug the rail into turn three, and then coming out of turn 4, aim to hit the start/finish line where it intersected with the blue line, and carry that line to enter the sprinters lane about halfway between start/finish and the 200m mark. I was told that would give me the longest downhill stretch on the track.

The longest line would be to hit the 200 mark at the intersection of the 200 line and the black line. Hitting the sprinters lane before then is a waste of a good hill. As my coach would tell you, this is not easy to do consistently, but it is the target.
Old 06-02-17, 11:02 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts

Starting at about 2:50
Old 06-02-17, 11:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Here's the UpUpUp guidance: Save energy ? Up! Up! Up! An introduction to track sprint cycling

It is quite different from what I was taught.
Old 06-02-17, 05:09 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
When I started riding at the NSC I assumed that the best F200 line was a pretty steady line out of turn 4 to hit the sprinter's lane by the 200m line.

After a while I started to see sprinters stay close to the rail out of Turn 4 and on the homestretch, and just as Turn 1 started, they'd take a late, severe dive down. This seems like the fastest line - at least at that track. But, I also saw people micic this and screw up - they'd hold the rail too long and start to go uphill. The important part is to feel the transition, understand the waterline, and find what works.

Different tracks are different, too. I'm not sure that there's a generalizeable "best line on an a 250." I've raced 250s that are really round, and ones that are pretty cigar-shaped, and I'd imagine that the lines vary - especially for good sprinters who are really tuned into what they're doing (I just play around with flying 200s for fun - i'm an enduro).

Also - there are some qualifying videos on youtube. Here's one from 2012.

Old 06-05-17, 03:22 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
But, I also saw people micic this and screw up - they'd hold the rail too long and start to go uphill. The important part is to feel the transition, understand the waterline, and find what works.

Different tracks are different, too.
The general mechanics of it are right there^^. You run down from T4 banking and hold the fence for as long as you can and drop in at the right time such that you maximise the drop down the track running into T1 and you don't cop any uphill running to wash off speed. That line will depend on the track you are at. I believe the line is generally very close from track to track, but there will be little design details that mean you have to drop off the fence earlier, or can hold it for just that little bit longer.

The guys that nail it are the guys that do it a lot. If you do stuff up, it's way better to drop in too early than to sit to high too long and hit the uphill into T1 and lose speed