Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Praxis to Shimano Crankset

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-22-17, 01:54 AM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone ever gone from their stock Praxis to a Shimano crankset and noticed better shifting?

I have a Specialized with stock standard Praxis Alba 48/32 crankset.
Tiagra 10spd shifter
Tiagra 10spd 11-32
Tiagra F and R derailleur
KMC 10 spd chain

I've seen all the youtube videos on front derailleur setup and already done it 3 times over the last 6 months and it still doesn't shift smoothly.

Its aligned parallel, 1mm from the biggest tooth on the big ring, the tension adjuster is already at max.

It shifts perfectly from 48 to 32, always, 100% of the time but its the shifting from 32 to 48 big ring that is a little annoying. It either can't shift up or it does. It never feels....'smooth'. It always leaves me wondering if it will shift.

I'm debating getting a Shimano 105 50/34 since my other components are all tiagra. Naturally I would have to get adapters or a Praxis BB to accommodate the shimano 24mm axles.

Suggestion?
Old 07-22-17, 03:29 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The issue sounds more like inadequate tension on the front derailleur cable. Loosen the bolt that holds the cable at the FD, grab the cable with pliers and pull, then retighten the bolt while maintaining tension on the cable.

I've got both Praxis and 5800 cranksets and don't notice a difference in shifting.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-22-17, 06:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
No first-hand experience with Praxis, but they're often mentioned in the same breath as Shimano when it comes to great shifting performance and (iirc) they're the only two manufacturers cold forging their chain rings. While there's always the possibility that there's something wrong with the chainset, I think it's far, far more likely that there's something wrong with the set-up.

In addition to what revchuck suggests, I'd adjust any in-line adjusters to the middle of their adjustment range while the cable is disconnected and I'd peel back the hood cover to double-check that the stop on the end of the cable is fully inserted.
Old 07-06-18, 02:46 PM
Spencer Guzman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boshk
Anyone ever gone from their stock Praxis to a Shimano crankset and noticed better shifting?

I have a Specialized with stock standard Praxis Alba 48/32 crankset.
Tiagra 10spd shifter
Tiagra 10spd 11-32
Tiagra F and R derailleur
KMC 10 spd chain

I've seen all the youtube videos on front derailleur setup and already done it 3 times over the last 6 months and it still doesn't shift smoothly.

Its aligned parallel, 1mm from the biggest tooth on the big ring, the tension adjuster is already at max.

It shifts perfectly from 48 to 32, always, 100% of the time but its the shifting from 32 to 48 big ring that is a little annoying. It either can't shift up or it does. It never feels....'smooth'. It always leaves me wondering if it will shift.

I'm debating getting a Shimano 105 50/34 since my other components are all tiagra. Naturally I would have to get adapters or a Praxis BB to accommodate the shimano 24mm axles.

Suggestion?
it may not be your crankset, but more your front deraullier. I had a 2016 Specialized Diverge DSW with complete 105 5800 series. For some reason, that bike with the long arm front deraullier design never shifted right up front. Upon upgrading the 105 front deraullier to the new design I have had no problem running my Praxis or 105 crankset. BTW I currently only ride Praxis.

Cheers,

Spencer
Old 07-06-18, 03:02 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Check the chain rings and make sure they are aligned correctly to the crank.
Old 07-06-18, 03:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I ran praxis on my Spec. Allez before getting the C1 chainring power meter. I have to say the Praxis stuff was really good I thought. I didn't have any issues with it at all. Mine shifted fine and didn't give me any issues.

Like stated already check your cable tension and also check the derailleur too. It might have an issue with full travel. I have seen that before too.

good luck.
Old 07-06-18, 05:35 PM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I just swapped out the stock Alba crankset on my Diverge with some Ultegra 6800 cranks I had laying around and I defintely prefer the Ultegra. Maybe the Ultegra is just set up better but shifting is definitely smoother and I haven’t dropped the chain once which used to happen virtually every ride with the Praxis.
Old 07-06-18, 07:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I have a Praxis Zayante on a road bike I just built and love it. Shifts fine every time.
I love it because its a 5 arm and not the fuggo thick 4 arm shimano design.

beauty and performance
Old 07-06-18, 08:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have a Praxis Zayante on a road bike I just built and love it. Shifts fine every time.

beauty and performance

AND that set is 4iii PM compatable. I think is was that one that was anyways. It’s a good set.
Old 07-06-18, 10:19 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

beauty and performance
Old 07-07-18, 06:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sdmc530
AND that set is 4iii PM compatable. I think is was that one that was anyways. It’s a good set.
Power2Max also has a spider for that crankset, now - $490 for full power (not single-sided, IOW).
Old 07-07-18, 09:06 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Power2Max also has a spider for that crankset, now - $490 for full power (not single-sided, IOW).

even better! Their stuff is so nice. I will probably get theirs if mt C1 ever dies. Been super happy with it though
Old 07-07-18, 11:22 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sdmc530
even better! Their stuff is so nice. I will probably get theirs if mt C1 ever dies. Been super happy with it though
We may have discussed this before, but I tried the C1 before getting a P2M and, unfortunately, it wouldn't clear my frame. That reminds me, though, that I have a 5600 crankset sitting in the closet. I should move that thing - it's perfect for someone that wants to run a C1.
Old 07-07-18, 04:38 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
In general - Praxis shifting on their cranks has in my experience seemed to always run very smoothly. My son has been racing on one (Alba or Zyante - can't remember but the alloy one) for a while and I find the performance to be on par with what I have come to expect from Shimano. If ranking say front shifting - in my opinion - I would rank it as follows: Shimano, Praxis, Rotor, SRAM, FSA. FWIW

On your initial post though - definitely the tension isn't high enough or you have your limit cheated in too far. Forget about what you know and do the following:

1. put it into the big ring and the smallest cog - on the stand.
2. check to see if it's rubbing the outboard side of the FD cage.
3. If it is then see if you can use your hand like the cable and push down on the FD arm to see if you can move the cage any further out. If you can't then your limit is set too far in. If you can then your cable tension is too low. If you still have a ton of room to move it to the outside by hand then release the cable from the anchor, run the adjuster all the way in. pedal the crank to move the chain to the small ring, put it in the largest cog. Make sure the inner limit is set right then pull the cable as tight as you can by hand when tightening the anchor. Then put a couple of turns on the adjuster. See how it shifts.

the largest issue I see in front derail adjustments from those that don't do it daily or have a hard time dialing them in is
-Way too low cable tension
-Mounting the FD too high. Move it low enough that it JUST clears the teeth while pedaling and shifting. Youll be amazed at the improvement to shifting.