Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 02-06-19, 05:29 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I know cops can seemingly be illogical at times, but I really don't see why they would blow this off. They have a make and model, so it shouldn't be too difficult to look up local registrations and check them out. It's not guaranteed to work, but they should definitely try.
Alas, a lot of local police agencies blow off anything that happens on the road as a "traffic incident". Even when there's criminal negligence, or possibly even intent, what would be considered a crime when done with a basebal bat or a gun magically becomes an "infraction" when done with a motor vehicle. Obviously a culture that has to change, but LEOs sometimes need to be reminded that injuring someone in a crash, then leaving the scene, is indeed a crime.

Sounds like the on-base cops are up for a CSI-esque challenge in this case, however.

I'm also considering a camera with all of the dumb stuff I regularly encounter.
It was either another thread here in Commuting, or over in the Winter section, someone posted an Amazon link to a $50-ish GoPro knock-off. Probably pretty low quality, but at least no worries about losing or ruining a $$$'y camera.
Old 02-06-19, 09:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I imagine base police would be more possessive and protective of their base. Like police in their own neighborhood.
Old 02-07-19, 06:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Good. Bike needed some love as it had been sitting outside in the rain for a week or so without usage :/
Old 02-07-19, 07:31 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
65F at 6am today. Warming to 77F, despite being overcast this morning. I wore shorts and short sleeve t-shirt for the first time on a morning commute since fall. Pretty windy too.

Advantage definitely went to the cyclist today at one "T" intersection. First 2 of about 5 cars were turning left. I wanted to turn right. I filtered up to just behind the front car where I could watch the traffic. A good, open break and off I went as everyone else still waited for the guy trying to turn left. #winning
Old 02-07-19, 07:52 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
those of you up north will be hating this but it was 59F and humid. I wore shorts and a long sleeve jersey but it wasn't really needed. It was a great ride. Roads were wet from rain overnight. Thank goodness for fenders!

oh yeah I saw a person go the wrong way on the round- a -bout

they turned left instead of going around the circle. #wheredopeoplelearntodrive

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 02-07-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:01 AM
madpogue 

Melt over the weekend / Monday released a LOT of moisture into the air, then the temps dropped to the 20s/10sF Tuesday and yesterday. So two days of freezing rain/drizzle. Plus, the snow had a chance to melt and drain partly, but the rest re-froze. Minimal ice on the MUPs and main road lanes, but lots of ice in the corners and near the curbs. The studs did their thing. Last night, more freezing rain, that's been accumulating as ice on all the paved surfaces. Some of the car commuters at the office are choosing to telecommute today; I'll prob. take the bus.

This has got to go down as one of the weirdest winters weather-wise in a long time.
Old 02-07-19, 08:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
India, Japan, Thailand, Ireland, UK, BVI, and the Bahamas come to mind where I've experienced it.
Old 02-07-19, 08:55 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Originally Posted by acidfast7
India, Japan, Thailand, Ireland, UK, BVI, and the Bahamas come to mind where I've experienced it.
this is North Carolina in the USA
Old 02-07-19, 08:56 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I should say that I only note that because I ****ed up and drove the wrong way (right side of the road like in the US as I spent 15 years driving there) around a roundabout in the UK recently (a double mini-roundabout), which does have on occasion when my brain goes into relaxed mode and there are no cars around.

Right here in fact:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Te...613!4d-1.09447
Old 02-07-19, 09:00 AM
acidfast7
Banned

this is North Carolina in the USA
I'm aware of that but your question was open for interpretation and I was reminding you that it could've been someone that learned to drive somewhere. Especially in the RTP area there are shedloads of foreigners due to international pharma/biotech firms offering an easy transition to America.
Old 02-07-19, 09:02 AM
acidfast7
Banned

oops. it's seems that I have confused The Triad with RTP.

please excuse my confusion.
Old 02-07-19, 09:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mid-60s here, too. Like @mgw4jc I celebrated this last day of spring-in-February by riding in wearing shorts and short sleeves. Cloudy except for a clear spot over to the west, so I could watch the sun ... well, I could see the sky over there get lighter as the sun came up. As if it weren't warm and humid enough, I was riding against a south wind bring even more warm Gulf moisture up before the cold front comes in tonight -- weather service is predicting a 45 degree drop overnight. (I hope we can skip the tornados that often brings!)

Strangely enough I haven't heard the spring peepers yet. Maybe tonight?
Old 02-07-19, 09:37 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
Kind of a sucky morning. -1F with a 20 mph headwind (-24F wind chill.) About four inches of fresh snow on the ground and still falling. The wind is blowing it everywhere causing complete white-outs at times. And that wonderful layer of ice is still hiding under the snow waiting to take you down when you least expect it.

Our new school superintendent is a lot more liberal about calling snow days than any of the previous ones we've had. He cancelled school today. Unfortunately for the rest of the world life goes on and businesses and offices are open, so I had to go in.

As the snow is still falling, the plows hadn't run anywhere but the main roads. I changed my route thinking that if I ride the plowed roads it would make my life easier. Well, it did make it easier in that I didn't have to ride through as much unplowed snow. It didn't make it easier as now I was sharing the road with every other vehicle who also changed their route so that they didn't have to drive through unplowed snow. Plus this route is a LOT hillier. Add to that that I'm still not feeling that great and I was barely poking up hills while traffic backed up behind me.

After a mile and a half of that I threw in the towel and hit a bus stop. Thankfully the bus came along just a couple minutes after I started waiting. I did have an "uh-oh" moment when the bike rack on the front of the bus wouldn't release to fold down. It had frozen in place. The driver gave me a shrug indicating he didn't know what to do. For a moment I thought I may have to just suck it up and ride the whole way when I have one last-ditch monster tug and the thing broke loose.

I know we're not supposed to talk to the driver while the bus is moving, but he was really intrigued by my bar mitts. He'd never seen those before and was asking me questions about them while we drove.

At the downtown station I pulled the bike off the rack and rode another 1/2 mile to the client location. The downtown roads were in pretty bad shape so I was sliding all over the place and had to ride my granny gear the whole time.

The snow is supposed to quit this morning. I'm hoping they'll have the MUP cleaned off for my ride home tonight. At the least I should have a tail wind.
Old 02-07-19, 09:40 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
Those look sweeeeeet, even though the front+rear together cost almost as much as my bike, lol. I live in California, which requires front plates, so a rear camera would definitely be helpful. It looks like they have a rear pannier mount in their accessory list as well.
More visibility is always better but don't be lulled into a sense of invulnerability. I was hit at an mup intersection crossing in November, the driver on one side stopped the other didn't. As a friend of mine commented, "you're lit up like Las Vegas!" I've also thought about a camera and immediately realize it's more hassle than I want to mess with. FWIW, there are a bunch of GoPro knockoffs on Amazon for around $50. I've used several for auto racing including ApeMan.
Old 02-07-19, 09:55 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

oops. it's seems that I have confused The Triad with RTP.

please excuse my confusion.
It is excused even if they were from somewhere else the huge arrows and sign pointing to go to the right should be enough of a clue to figure it out.
Old 02-07-19, 09:57 AM
acidfast7
Banned

It is excused even if they were from somewhere else the huge arrows and sign pointing to go to the right should be enough of a clue to figure it out.
I never under traffic circles/roundabouts when I lived in the US as they're tedious.

After living in the UK, they actually make a huge amount of sense as the traffic density is ridiculous in the southeast and they actually work quite well. Also, you're almost never alone when driving, so it's hard to go the wrong way. I do get confused if I happen to be alone with the small ones in parking lots like in google maps above, as there aren't always signs over here (or they're broken off.)
Old 02-07-19, 10:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I never under traffic circles/roundabouts when I lived in the US as they're tedious.

After living in the UK, they actually make a huge amount of sense as the traffic density is ridiculous in the southeast and they actually work quite well. Also, you're almost never alone when driving, so it's hard to go the wrong way. I do get confused if I happen to be alone with the small ones in parking lots like in google maps above, as there aren't always signs over here (or they're broken off.)
I grew up in Washington DC, where there are a lot of traffic circles, many of them going back to the original design of the city, before cars (or even bicycles), but they all have unique traffic patterns. Some of them make a lot of sense, but others do not. The one I learned first was Chevy Chase Circle, so naturally the way Chevy Chase Circle runs is the way I think a traffic circle should run. Occasionally a bewildered tourist would get stuck in it, and be forced to drive around many times trying to figure out how to exit at the right street. Good times. I actually like the fact that they're becoming common now.

But I digress. My commute today did not involve any traffic circles, just very light rain, which I ignored. It's been warm lately, so the saturated surface of the ground has thawed, leaving a nice squishy layer of mud, but just below that is frozen solid.
Old 02-07-19, 10:45 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
16F, sunny. Got aggressively honked at by a jerk. That hasn't happened for years and years.

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 02-07-19 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 11:42 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Chilly, damp, and breezy. Gross. My bones were cold by the time I got to work. I'm glad I brought my space heater in and put it under my desk, it's like a little personal fireplace. My boss sets the office thermostat at 68, that's a little on the cool side for me.
Old 02-07-19, 05:35 PM
madpogue 

So the ice was every bit as bad as I thought. Freezing rain was still falling this morning, immediately sticking to the existing ice layer. So this was my traction-enhanced commuting option for today:

(Well, this plus a big Gillig bus....)

Freezing rain has continued on and off all day, so I reckon I'll be strapping them on for the walk to/from the bus on the way home.

(My boss just walked by on his way out, playing "Slip-sliding Away" by Paul Simon on his phone....)

Last edited by madpogue; 02-07-19 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 02:40 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Good but a little windy. Overall, a very nice ride in. Off to get my beard trimmed in a half hour or so! So, back on the bike!
Old 02-08-19, 07:45 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Had a nice tailwind on the way home yesterday pushing me to a 17.5mph average for my 13 mile commute.

64F again and only needed shorts and short sleeve shirt. And 64 is the forecast high as it is supposed to drop all day. That usually means wind from the north, looking at maybe 14mph strength for a nice headwind on the way home tonight. I'm probably going to wish I had brought a pair of gloves for that ride.
Old 02-08-19, 08:28 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 111 Posts
With this morning's frosty -12F ride it's now officially been three years since the last time I drove to work. 698 consecutive bicycle commutes.

Old 02-08-19, 08:33 AM
liampboyle

Bikes: 2007 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
After being off the bike for two days because of flat tires and heavy rain, back on the bike this morning 6.2 miles of commute + errand running in 22F weather.
Old 02-08-19, 08:51 AM
acidfast7
Banned

58km/h wind it seems from 220deg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.