Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike decision help please

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 03:41 PM
Paratus

Bikes: Giant Defy 2, Novarra Forza, Mango beach cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Afternoon,

I am asking for opinions (understanding it could be dangerous......). New to bike riding as a hobby/health benefit. Health inspired as of May 2018 and at that time twenty minutes was big. Now I am riding 3 or 4 times per week with a current pace of 22.5 miles at an average mph of 16 (+/- .5 mph) and elliptical in the gym the other days. The benefits have become measurable on the scale, on the tape for physical dimensions, "wind" and heart rate.

I am am considering upgrading my current ride, a Novara Forza. I would prefer to buy "one more bike" despite the possible heresy that represents-LOL.

I am am seriously considering the Giant FastRoad Advanced but the dollars have me thinking the Giant FastRoad SL 1 might be almost as good. 105 vs Tiagra, CF vs aluminum, virtually the same weight near as I can tell, essentially the same geometry (large is the correct frame size for me; currently 6'1"+ and 256#).

I am am interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than myself in this area. I am disinclined for a drop bar bike, don't have a need for non pavement. Currently live in n FL in a neighborhood that folks come from surrounding area to ride in due to bike lanes etc. However it is still FL so FLAT. The bike will go with us to others areas when traveling with the Airstream ( inside the capped bed of truck).

I dont have firm future ride ride related goals however current distance/pace don't leave me worn out but actually ready for more with exception of a sore butt.

Lastly I am leaning toward Giant as the graphics are quite appealing (to me) the components are the same (for the most part) across the "majors", all brands seem to have the same solutions. Hybrid, gravel, race, endurance etc.

Thank you in advance for the opinion(s).
Old 01-31-19, 04:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
First ... Giant is often a good choice out of the big Four, which offer approximately equal products ... the giant bikes tend to be a tiny beat cheaper for the same quality.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-1----Al frame CF fork with Al steerer, 50x34, 11x34---2x19 Tiagra Giant S-R2 tubeless disc wheels TRP flat mount HD-R210 disc brakes threaded Shimano BB (I assume Hollowtech II) Lists at $1,135

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-advanced-1 CF frame apparently same fork, 12mm through-axles, apparently brakes a little better, apparently wheels a little better, same gear ranges, 2x11 105 Giant P-R2 tubeless disc wheels, 12mm thru-axle, TRP flat mount t TKD-84 brakes, Shimano press-fit BB, Lists at $1,945.

Are these the two bikes in question?

if I were trying to choose, i'd first Google the brakes and the qwheel sets ... good brakes and light wheels are a huge plus. I have no reason to think any of the components are not quite good, but i wonder how much better some are than others?

Then i would wonder about the frames. Both come with the ridiculous "D-Fuse" seat tube---my advice would be to buy a back-up before they go out of production---and otherwise ... unless there were a few pounds weight savings .... I don't see what major benefit the CF offers---not at nearly twice the price.

I Much prefer the appearance of the Advanced ... but a lot depends on your budget. if this is supposed to be a "Last Bike," go for the Advanced just because it is prettier. But ... with the money you saved, you could have the SL-1 professionally powder-coated to meet your desires, and still have cash left over.

I don't have experience with 47700 shifters, but i do have 4500 and 4600 shifters (and some 4700 parts) on a couple bikes, and the Tiagra line is excellent. The 105 line is also. Whether the extra cog would make a difference depends on how you plan to use the bike.

I have two bikes of about equal weight, one with 105 and one with mixed Tiagra, and I cannot ever recall really wishing I had that one more cog, or thinking "This ride has been saved by that one more cog." But if I were to be riding with fast groups, it might matter.

My opinion is that I cannot pick for you. There are too many factors I simply don't know.

Google the wheels, the brakes,a ndthe all-up weight and then ask yourself ... if cost were no object ... which would you prefer to be riding regularly for the next ten or 15 years. More than that I cannot offer.

I can say this: I don't think you could go wrong with either bike.
Old 02-02-19, 11:13 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Paratus
Afternoon,

I am asking for opinions (understanding it could be dangerous......). New to bike riding as a hobby/health benefit. Health inspired as of May 2018 and at that time twenty minutes was big. Now I am riding 3 or 4 times per week with a current pace of 22.5 miles at an average mph of 16 (+/- .5 mph) and elliptical in the gym the other days. The benefits have become measurable on the scale, on the tape for physical dimensions, "wind" and heart rate.

I am am considering upgrading my current ride, a Novara Forza. I would prefer to buy "one more bike" despite the possible heresy that represents-LOL.

I am am seriously considering the Giant FastRoad Advanced but the dollars have me thinking the Giant FastRoad SL 1 might be almost as good. 105 vs Tiagra, CF vs aluminum, virtually the same weight near as I can tell, essentially the same geometry (large is the correct frame size for me; currently 6'1"+ and 256#).

I am am interested in the thoughts of those more experienced than myself in this area. I am disinclined for a drop bar bike, don't have a need for non pavement. Currently live in n FL in a neighborhood that folks come from surrounding area to ride in due to bike lanes etc. However it is still FL so FLAT. The bike will go with us to others areas when traveling with the Airstream ( inside the capped bed of truck).

I dont have firm future ride ride related goals however current distance/pace don't leave me worn out but actually ready for more with exception of a sore butt.

Lastly I am leaning toward Giant as the graphics are quite appealing (to me) the components are the same (for the most part) across the "majors", all brands seem to have the same solutions. Hybrid, gravel, race, endurance etc.

Thank you in advance for the opinion(s).
buy a recumbent and start to really enjoy ur rides ...way more aero than any upright could hope to be...no neck discomfort or saddle discomfort...u look straight ahead and enjoy the scenery as u pass all the uprights in their paceline
Old 02-04-19, 09:41 AM
drpower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in the same position as yourself recently and ended up buying a 2018 Fastroad CoMax 1, it was on sale and I found a M/L size, the last one. I would have been more than happy with the SLR 1 and given the choice I would have gone with it if it had the 105 groupset. I may sound stupid saying this but I don't like shift indicators as it looks cheap and novice in my opinion. I know you can install the optional covers on the Tiagra but they're still there. If choosing the 2019 Fastroad I would go with the Advanced for that curved top bar design too, while less aggressive compared to 2018 and older models it is flat on the SL. This all being looks, if that doesn't matter to you, the aluminum options when I test rode them felt fantastic, no complaints at all. In fact I liked the glossy paint better on the SLR 1 better. The 2019 SL looks more than capable with excellent value if you go that road but you really can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

just to add, I installed the SQLab 311 handlebar 50mm rise and 16 degree back sweep and added leather comfort grips off a Brodie Quantum bike. This bike is really comfy, and fast!

Last edited by drpower; 02-04-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 01:27 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, the Novara dilemma ... I recently went through a Novara Metro for my wife to use as her "all purpose" bike. Looks like the same fork ... If it is, it's a heavy pig of a fork. But 1-1/8 steer tube, so easy enough to swap out. I put a Marzocchi air fork on hers, used Mavic wheels, Shimano CS-M850Ti rear cog set and now she has a 24# trail cruiser she like a lot, including the rear rack.

The frames are not bad, it just the stuff they hang on them. If I were going to do yours, I'd opt for a nice used Manitou R-Seven (R7) air fork with a lock-out and never look back. You could easily get yours down to 24#, even with your favorite semi-comfort saddle. Even with Schwalbe Marathon semi-trail tires, and it would be a real work horse for gravel and trails.

Then start hunting Craigslist (CL) for a road bike that would do for pure pavement outings
Old 02-04-19, 01:50 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If you are riding on the road and plan on rides longer than an hour, you are better off with a drop bar bike.. Look for one with a taller head tube like a lot of the gravel and comfort road bikes have so you can get set up with a touring fit.