Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Opinions on phone bike mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-02-19, 07:16 PM
BassManNate

Bikes: Motobecane Strada Ltd. 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I want everyone's opinions on phone bike mounts. In the past, I used an old yellow eTrex GPS with a home built mount made from a hose clamp and wire coat hanger. Made for a decent basic bike computer and got me back home if I got lost even if it ended up with me wandering without a proper map. That was before smart phones were so ubiquitous. Seems an app can do most everything I'm looking for but I'm not going to use a cobbled together mount on something that wasn't made as indestructible as that eTrex even if my Otterbox case is pretty damn tough. I'm in a new area and not super familiar with my surroundings. I'll likely be using the phone mostly to follow pre-planned routes until I figure out how to get everywhere.

1. Phone mount bag with a clear top: These seem like the modern equivalent of a handlebar map bag from decades ago. Seems like a pretty solid choice if you get one that's made well but it sounds like they're not very touch friendly according to reviews despite the manufactures saying that they are. Bonus is that there's a pouch under the phone mount I could put a battery bank to keep the phone charged. Downside is that they look like they can be bulky. Also, not sure how much I need to touch my phone while I'm riding. I might surprise myself once I actually start riding with a phone in front of me.

2. Clamp only mount: Some of these look really well made but may have some drawbacks. Looks like the clamp doesn't always hold quite right and if the clamp happens to fall where buttons are, it could be a bit tricky to get the phone in there without mashing buttons. Also, not sure how well they would work with my somewhat bulky case.

3. Mount with stretchy rubber net looking thing: These looks like they could be good if the bands hold up pretty well. Looks like you can get replacement ban\\\\\\\ds for them. Also, not sure how well they work on a large phone with a thick case much like the previous option.

4. Special case with locking tabs for a specific mount: These look like they could be nice but expensive. Especially since you'd have to replace it when it came time to upgrade the phone. I might be more likely to try one if I wasn't using a phone that will likely be upgraded in the next year. First gen Pixel XL still works great but I can see them stopping the security updates. Only guaranteed through this October.
Old 05-03-19, 01:43 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.quadlockcase.com/
Old 05-03-19, 02:21 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
I attach a plate out of alu to a mount and cover it with velcro. Phone gets velcro on the back and can be used on any mount on any bike including QR ones for rental bikes. Pouch against rain and power banks get their velcros too.
Old 05-03-19, 02:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I like to mount my phone in my pocket where it will be less likely to get knocked off and broken on the pavement. Of if I'm thrown off my bike and can't get back to the bike because I'm too beat up, I can still reach in my pocket where ever I splattered and call 911.
Old 05-03-19, 03:07 PM
FlRon

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I like to mount my phone in my pocket where it will be less likely to get knocked off and broken on the pavement. Of if I'm thrown off my bike and can't get back to the bike because I'm too beat up, I can still reach in my pocket where ever I splattered and call 911.
Couldn’t agree more. To each his own, but when I’m riding I have no use for my phone. Stick it in my pocket where it can’t get lost or fall out, plus I can ignore it until I’m finished.
Old 05-03-19, 03:13 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I would get a dedicated computer but if you don’t want to do that I would go QuadLock.
Old 05-03-19, 03:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool

I'm a very late adopter, I keep it in an otterbox and in my pannier or pocket..

I only take it out & use it after I get somewhere & sit down.

FWIW the 2 better Ortlieb bar bags have a touch thru clear window on the top lid, ..

their premium one has electrical contacts on the bar bag & bar mount , so you can charge as you ride ,
and just pop the bag off and disconnect the circuit at the same time..

... Dynamo to usb converter in the bag or one on your stem cap ..

Old 05-06-19, 10:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Quad Lock is fantastic. I mounted a couple of mounts in my wife's cars and got her a phone case. I have a phone case and a handlebar mount for my bikes. Now either of us can mount a phone to either car dashboard.

I recommend the out-front bike mount rather than the one that attaches by o-rings. It's much sturdier.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-26-19, 07:16 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quadlocks!!!

I have owned your option 3 and 4.

quadlocks are option 4 but well built and secure.
Old 05-26-19, 08:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Don't go option #1 . The sun will cook your phone and it won't work till it cools down again. At least mine did. I only use Ram mounts now. I have the 1" balls mounted on all my bikes and 2 on my favorite-1 for the gps and 1 for the phone. I also have the balls mounted on the snowmobile, quad, and dirt bike for both gps and phone. Ram mounts are durable and I've never had a unit damaged while using them, despite crashing quite a few times. I only had to purchase a different cradle for each device, but they're not really expensive.
Old 05-31-19, 02:13 PM
khoelsema

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can vouch for Quad Lock. Definitely the most secure and easy to use phone mounting system. I use a spare phone case for the adhesive mount and just switch cases. If you have an iPhone or a Samsung S7 or above, you can get a dedicated case. I believe Quad Lock is making cases for other brands as well, they just haven't been released yet.
Old 05-31-19, 02:19 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quad Lock

Yea, it’s great I have the dedicated case and I have a stem mount in my hybrid and out front mount on my roadie.
Old 06-01-19, 12:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Speaking of Quad Lock, I put Quad Lock mounts on the dashboards of both of my wife's cars. And I put a Quad Lock case on her phone. Now we can click either of our phones into either of her cars, quickly, conveniently, and safely. We use the phones in the cars as GPS navigators, and we can see them really well without obstructing our view out of the windshield. We don't tend to talk much on the phone while driving, but we can do that safely, too. When a call comes in, we see if it's worth taking without moving a hand or a head. And we use bluetooth headsets so the conversation is hands free. Drive responsibly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-03-19, 12:41 PM
darktardis

Bikes: Trek xcaliber 9, Schwinn Premis, Mongoose Switchback

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the look of the quadlock but I can't afford to get three for all my bikes, I just received the iOttie with uses the band style attachment, and though I have used it one day so far it looks pretty good, and it's only a third of the price, if that's an issue. otherwise you may want to check out the quadlock.
Old 06-20-19, 06:21 AM
ribikeguy
Just another bike nut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always used my phone as my cycling computer, I figure I’m going to take my phone with me anyway, might as well use it right? I have an iphone 7s so it’s pretty big, but they all are now. This worked better back in the iphone 5 days when they were still small. I use the Strava app to track my rides. I use a Mophie Juice Pack battery case on my phone, keeps it running all day even using gps. I use a garmin stem mount from a company called NC Nailed, and a garmin adapter on my phone from a company call KOM. It’s the perfect system for me! I’m new here so I can’t post pics...
Old 06-20-19, 07:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by ribikeguy
I have always used my phone as my cycling computer, I figure I’m going to take my phone with me anyway, might as well use it right? I have an iphone 7s so it’s pretty big, but they all are now. This worked better back in the iphone 5 days when they were still small. I use the Strava app to track my rides. I use a Mophie Juice Pack battery case on my phone, keeps it running all day even using gps. I use a garmin stem mount from a company called NC Nailed, and a garmin adapter on my phone from a company call KOM. It’s the perfect system for me! I’m new here so I can’t post pics...
Different from my system but very similar. I have an iphone 6s, and I also said I might as well use it. I use the ridewithgps app and an Anker external battery lashed to the top tube. I can leave the screen on all day and run the app and other things. I have a Quad Lock case and a Quad Lock handlebar mount. In some ways, my setup is less convenient than a bike computer, but it costs less. And since I don't have speed sensors, the speed readout isn't as accurate.

Old 06-20-19, 07:49 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Bikes: Trek 8.2 DS / Trek DS 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Since I don't use Map My Ride or Relive anymore, pocket.
Old 06-20-19, 08:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by BassManNate
3. Mount with stretchy rubber net looking thing: These looks like they could be good if the bands hold up pretty well. Looks like you can get replacement ban\\\\\\\ds for them. Also, not sure how well they work on a large phone with a thick case much like the previous option.
Some of those stretchy rubber things work as excellent slingshots.

The one that I have used and will recommend as actually holding phones reasonably well is the Nite Ize Handleband.

It is easy to use and holds the phone securely.

You do get two bands across the middle of the screen. If I'm using an app like RideWithGPS, I tend to position it so the middle row of data lands between the bands.

https://www.niteize.com/product/handleband.asp
Old 06-25-19, 09:06 AM
Moose95

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased a Delta Cycle Smart Cell phone holder at my local bike shop and couldn't be happier (I can't post links, but it is also available at Amazon, just type in those words). It holds my phone very securely with just the bungee cords, but for rough trails, there is also a flip switch on the back to lock it into place, and it's impossible to take out without unlocking. However, the phone doesn't need a special case or anything to mount to the holder, so taking the phone off the bike takes only a second or two. I also love the optional stem cap mount, so it is rock solid and doesn't spin around my handlebar like the last phone mount I tried. I use it with a Samsung S8+ and just the built in Samsung health app, and it does 90% of what I want without buying anything else (no cadence counting, though). It also has a little bump out thing on the bottom that lines up with the speaker of my phone and acts as kind of a megaphone. It's a great inexpensive solution, probably the best bang-for-the-bucks I have spent so far.
Old 06-29-19, 05:27 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
A while back in a boating/fishing forum I was turned onto the RAM universal mounting system. Since then I use them in my boat, car, and bicycle for everything from my Gopro (hat, bike, boat and car mounts), RADAR detector, GPS, and phone. I have yet to find something I cannot do with them.

On my mtn bike I have my phone (for a bike speedo app) and one of my Gopro mounted.
Old 06-30-19, 07:51 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
All this talk on the News of How Google is Biasing search results I know is true with Christians and conservatives : But I was surprised to see they are doing it with Bike Mounts as well based on teh Companies Religious and Political convictions : BIKE MOUNTS : All I see is quad Lock and when I search Rock Form all I find is 2 year old reviews comparing it with Quad lock. SO I ordered one of each for 2 Bikes :

IMO the ROK FORM is the Nicer Unit : In fact there's No comparison : Rubber bands Vs Bolted CNC Aluminum ???

YET You'd never know that by Google Reviews :

Or don't people like Bolting things on ? I see comments about just leaving your phone in your pocket :
Old 06-30-19, 08:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
But you have to put up with that big bump in the back of your phone case. I'd rather have some kind of secure clamp.
Old 06-30-19, 08:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by wphamilton
But you have to put up with that big bump in the back of your phone case. I'd rather have some kind of secure clamp.
It's not that big. Smaller than a pop socket. And I find that it's a feature because it helps me get a grip on my phone.

Old 10-14-20, 08:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by darktardis
I like the look of the quadlock but I can't afford to get three for all my bikes, I just received the iOttie with uses the band style attachment, and though I have used it one day so far it looks pretty good, and it's only a third of the price, if that's an issue. otherwise you may want to check out the quadlock.
Just get a decent basic wireless computer that you can switch from bike to bike.

To those using your phone as a computer, it will only be a matter of time until you have reoccurring GPS anomalies ….which then impacts your speed (unrealistic) readings...which also impacts your distance. I used to use a phone when I started cycling. I did the whole Quadlock and Mophie Juice pack thing. It worked great for a while, then the GPS anomalies started....and stayed.

A dedicated computer that auto uploads to all your cycling apps of choice is the far better and accurate solution IMO. Especially if you are looking for quality phone mounts on multiple bikes. Keep your phone as a phone to use in emergencies. Stick it in your pocket, pair it to your computer and enable text and phone call alerts.
Old 10-14-20, 08:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by jadocs
Just get a decent basic wireless computer that you can switch from bike to bike.

To those using your phone as a computer, it will only be a matter of time until you have reoccurring GPS anomalies ….which then impacts your speed (unrealistic) readings...which also impacts your distance. I used to use a phone when I started cycling. I did the whole Quadlock and Mophie Juice pack thing. It worked great for a while, then the GPS anomalies started....and stayed.

A dedicated computer that auto uploads to all your cycling apps of choice is the far better and accurate solution IMO. Especially if you are looking for quality phone mounts on multiple bikes. Keep your phone as a phone to use in emergencies. Stick it in your pocket, pair it to your computer and enable text and phone call alerts.
It depends. I had far more bad GPS readings with a Garmin Edge 200 than with my iphone. Most of the bad readings are either reflections from the concrete canyon of Manhattan or from cloud cover. I can't expect perfection from any gadget. Maybe a newer Garmin/whatever is accurater than an iphone, but my iphone is good enough. I'm sure some other phones are bad at GPS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.