Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

How obese is too obese to ride a bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

How obese is too obese to ride a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 06:10 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WesMorrison
Can a person who is over 300 pounds, probably about 5' 4", really big belly and posterior (floppy rolls of fat,) successfully ride a 2-wheel bicycle?...
Hi Wes!

Most assuredly, they can. Of course, if they're looking for excuses not to ride, anything will do. If they're scared of falling, put them on a trike. Worksman makes some really durable ones that aren't too expensive. Another alternative for the "scared of falling" set is the Electra Townie line (also suitable for uberclydes).

Any exercise is better than none. Best of luck to the would-be rider!
Old 07-12-07, 09:39 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tom, I still have to profile you in my blog someday. Only about 20-25% of my readers come from the forums, so you'll be inspiring strangers.

Maybe not stranger than Raiyn.
Old 07-12-07, 09:56 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
who is this Raiyn person that keeps popping up in conversations????

Edit: Did a search and found out it's a current member. I thought it was an infamous person from the early days.

In the process I ran across this link and found out that if everyone lived my perfectly average lifestyle, we would need 15.6 planets.

https://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Last edited by solveg; 07-12-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 03:09 PM
ookiihito

Bikes: 2008 Worksman INB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Worksman cruiser. Pretty cool, American made, very heavy duty frame, forks, cranks and rims. Seat posts suck and you'll have to buy a lot of them or, reinforce them somehow (I am working on some ideas -- more on that later).

I was a little disapointed in some of the fit and finish aspects of my $559.00 ($639.00 with shipping) and they forgot to do an upgrade I requested. When I called, they were cool about it and made it right.

It seems to me that seat posts, pedals and handlebars are easily destoryed or bent by my 6'2", 400lb self.

Ookiihito
Old 07-27-07, 04:57 PM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ookiihito
I just bought a Worksman cruiser. Pretty cool, American made, very heavy duty frame, forks, cranks and rims. Seat posts suck and you'll have to buy a lot of them or, reinforce them somehow (I am working on some ideas -- more on that later).

I was a little disapointed in some of the fit and finish aspects of my $559.00 ($639.00 with shipping) and they forgot to do an upgrade I requested. When I called, they were cool about it and made it right.

It seems to me that seat posts, pedals and handlebars are easily destoryed or bent by my 6'2", 400lb self.

Ookiihito
Interesting to hear. I thought the Worksman stuff was bombproof.
Old 07-27-07, 05:38 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by (51)
Interesting to hear. I thought the Worksman stuff was bombproof.
The man is a bomb. But cheers to him for riding!
Old 07-27-07, 05:45 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ookiihito

Ookiihito
Have you bent them yet though? Fortunately, they are relatively inexpensive items. If I remember right, Workman uses essentially steel pipe for seatposts and replacements are likely to be aroung $5-$8. Not a bunch of cash and the Handlebars will be fine.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-27-07, 05:54 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
who is this Raiyn person that keeps popping up in conversations????
I am he and he is me.
Edit: Did a search and found out it's a current member. I thought it was an infamous person from the early days.
Depends on what you mean by "early days" and "infamous"

In the process I ran across this link and found out that if everyone lived my perfectly average lifestyle, we would need 15.6 planets.

https://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp
2.4 for me https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=65
Old 09-06-18, 03:06 PM
Coast2coastroas

Bikes: Old Trek Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking from experience.

I have two pieces of advice. I am speaking from experience having lost 150 pounds over the past 9 months.

Riding a bike is not not the way to achieve weight loss. Being able to enjoy a bike ride should be a goal. I came from weighing 412 lbs standing at 5’7”. It wasn’t until I got myself under 300 when I was comfortable even attempting to ride. Now I am in the 260’s- still quite overweight- but I can enjoy a 10-20 mile ride. It has been my experience that diet is around 80-90% of weight loss. Exercise just supports your diet.

Second, if you want to tackle a bike ride immediately, I’d recommend Trek bikes. I read somewhere that trek mountain bikes are all able to support up to 300lbs.

Good luck
Old 09-06-18, 04:04 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats on your first post being the resurrection of an 11 year old post...
Old 09-06-18, 05:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
How do one-post newbies FIND these old posts anyway?

Good points though.
Old 09-06-18, 09:12 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
At least it's worthy of resurrection.

I too often find posts from new members who think that buying a bike and riding is some magic formula to lose weight. It's not. Watching your diet very carefully to not overeat and walking daily is probably a great place to start. When a significant weight loss is achieved then would be a good time to get a bike.

Having said that, I'm sure there are many people who have gotten a bike and lost significant amount of weight. I suspect they also were careful with their diet and incorporated some other type of exercise together with cycling.
Old 09-06-18, 09:18 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
A picture paints a thousand words. I weighed 450 pounds here and had to ride with Oxygen.

This is how I use to look until recently, but I still have a long way to go.

*I realise that Tom is no longer with us.
Old 09-07-18, 12:45 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by WesMorrison
I'm trying to help someone who says they want to lose weight, but they always find excuses for why things won't work. (It would be uncomfortable, wouldn't be able to balance, etc.) I know this person really does want to lose weight but is frustrated by their situation.
The first place to start is with their diet. Cutting out as much carbs & sugar as they can from their diet, getting rid of junk food and focusing on protein and vegetables is the way to start. They need to count their calories and take in around 2,000 calories a day. As far as exercise goes, they likely should start by walking first. If they can lose some weight first, then maybe they will feel more comfortable on a bike.

But, if they're busy making excuses for why things won't work, it sounds to me like they're not fully committed yet. IMO, you have to be fully committed and dedicated to losing weight, and then you'll find the willpower to change your eating habits. If they can do that, then they'll be amazed at how quickly the weight drops off, and they'll start having more energy for exercise.

As one of my junior high school teachers liked to say, excuses only satisfy those who make them.

*edit* Crap, just realized this is a zombie thread. I really gotta pay more attention to the dates on the first posts of these threads.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 09-07-18 at 12:48 PM. Reason: just realized this is a zombie thread
Old 09-07-18, 12:54 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coast2coastroas
I have two pieces of advice. I am speaking from experience having lost 150 pounds over the past 9 months.

Riding a bike is not not the way to achieve weight loss. Being able to enjoy a bike ride should be a goal. I came from weighing 412 lbs standing at 5’7”. It wasn’t until I got myself under 300 when I was comfortable even attempting to ride. Now I am in the 260’s- still quite overweight- but I can enjoy a 10-20 mile ride. It has been my experience that diet is around 80-90% of weight loss. Exercise just supports your diet.
Zombie thread or not, this is absolutely correct. As long as you can eat more calories in 5 minutes than you can burn in an hour on your bike....dietary intake control will always represent the main weight loss component. Exercise (any exercise) can be a helpful adjunct in appetite control and establishing a more appropriate metabolism, but serious weight loss is about calorie intake, not calorie burning.
Old 09-07-18, 12:58 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by tunavic
I too often find posts from new members who think that buying a bike and riding is some magic formula to lose weight. It's not.
I found that out firsthand when I started riding seriously 3 years ago in order to lose weight. I didn't lose a pound. I quickly learned that changing the way I eat was far more important for weight loss than any amount of exercise I could get.
Old 09-07-18, 01:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I think they find them while googling the topic and sign up here just to post on a thread without realizing that it went dormant over 10 years ago.
Old 09-14-18, 08:30 AM
daveinoh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old thread or not, some great advice. It's new to me!
Old 09-14-18, 12:43 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Well I know one person who didn't use google to find this thread because they don't actually want to ride a bike...
Old 09-14-18, 09:56 PM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 470 give or take at 6'2" when I got a 29er. I'd had a heart attack a few months prior as a valentines day present. I started out with by taking a whole 5 block ride and had to take a whole day to recover. A year and a half ago I was easily taking 20 mile rides. Then a year and a half ago a fell and had a booboo, disconecting my quad from my knee. I'm walking with a cane now but next spring come H____ or High water I will be back on one of my bikes getting my legs back.
Old 09-16-18, 07:43 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I write this out of total respect...
Last year I did the Erie Canal Tour. There was a gentleman who had to be well north of 350 lbs. The gap between the top of his shorts and bottom of his jersey was 7 or 8 inches. Never-the-less, he rode every day, was never the last one in and I never overheard him complaining. I think he was riding a Specialized hybrid and he was actually inspiring. I don't know his name or know where he was from but his determination was evident.
Old 09-18-18, 10:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
I too often find posts from new members who think that buying a bike and riding is some magic formula to lose weight. It's not. Watching your diet very carefully to not overeat and walking daily is probably a great place to start. When a significant weight loss is achieved then would be a good time to get a bike.

Having said that, I'm sure there are many people who have gotten a bike and lost significant amount of weight. I suspect they also were careful with their diet and incorporated some other type of exercise together with cycling.
Yep. I actually did lose 90 lbs. in 9 months when I started riding but I also changed my eating habits radically during that period. I believe the latter contributed the most towards my weight loss, and I also worked in a college cafeteria and a "stock boy." I was on my feet for 5-6 hrs./shift.

Here is another anecdote about cycling and weight loss: In '99 I rode across the country west to east with a small group of people. We usually rode about 6 days in a row, with the a rest day the seventh. Average daily milage was something like 60. Totally self-contained. My bike and gear weighed 90 lbs. Ninety-three days on the road. Despite all that effort, I actually gained weight in the midwest because I was still eating like I had been while riding in the western mountains. And the portion sizes when some of us would eat second breakfasts got larger. Also, for various reasons, we ate dinner out more. Finding healthy food was an issue sometimes. When we spent two nights at Lake Itasca in MN, we ate dinner out one night. The only place available had an all you can eat fish special. Sounds healthy, right? Turns out it was deep fried fish.
Old 10-12-18, 05:28 PM
StephenK

Bikes: Lemond Arrivée 03, Nishiki Colorado MTB '18

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
This is how

*I realise that Tom is no longer with us.
I read Tom's thread. Totally awesome and inspiring. I was scrolling down to see if it got newer because I wanted to congratulate him. Then this. Damn it. I wish I knew more about this high quality human.
Old 10-12-18, 06:24 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Never quite understood the calling out of old thread resurrection. Why doers it matter?
Old 07-15-19, 09:15 AM
Mombutt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caincando1
I was 355 when I started, but I was also 6ft and a former athlete. Honestly if they are finding excuses for other exercises then they will probably find one for biking also. I'd start them out an a trike to eliminate balance and crash issues.
I want to ride with my kid. I've been doing some walking a built up my stamina. I am somewhere between 5'10-6ft tall and 275lbs was 320lbs. I'm able to ride this 26inch huffy cruiser but worry I'm too big for the bike. I contact huffy to see the weight limit as it was not specified in the paperwork provided. I was told 250lbs... so now I'm wondering if I should take it back or just keep pushing myself to loose more. The bike is pretty if I continue to loose 9lbs a month I'd fit the limits. I still feel as though my leg doesn't extend enough on the pedals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.