Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 02-22-10, 05:25 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Is this the year of the 3 speed racer?

I've seen half a dozen threads (not to mention my own build) of folks putting 3 speed IGH's on road bike with drop bars in the last week and a half....seems like there's gonna be a lot of us riding around without derailleurs this summer
Some years ago I built up a 1980 Raleigh Criterium into a 3 speed road bike and really enjoyed that... used to enjoy some insanely good sprint power and had it up to 55 kmh before the hub started to protest as it would not take any more load that i was putting into it.

Conversely, running to large a cog in the rear with a too small chain ring can exceed the hubs design parameters... they are really best suited for moderate use and won't limit most people in the speed department.

I also ran a Shimano 3 speed in an mtb frame to use it as a winter bike and this worked famously in some of the worst conditions I have ever ridden in.

The Sports will get a Cyclo Benelux 3 speed kit added when I rebuild the stock '54 hub into a new or vintage wheel... it requires a longer axle but then the 3 speed will become a 9 speed with a very nice gear range.

Will also look to lace a Dynahub into a 700c for the front so I can be self powered.

I have built dual drives for SA hubs and they work really well to expand the capabilities of the SA AW as if you gear for speed you lose at the bottom and vice versa.

Gotta stay as vintage as possible on this one... the new brakes and old Dia Comple levers are very impressive in how well they work.

I figure one of this bikes first good rides will be to ride the 50 miles from here to my mom's.
Old 02-22-10, 05:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
What was a Raleigh Criterium? I don't think we had that model in the US.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-22-10, 06:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The Raleigh Criterium came in several versions... the Carlton made versions were mad in England and had Reynolds 501 frames while latter models were straight gauge frames that were fitted out with a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group.

Pedestrian frame and awesome bits here... most Straight gauge Criterium frames I see are just that as they get snapped up for their Shimano 600.

Mine was a latter model and was probably an '83... I laid down some stupid mileage on that bike as a three speed and fitted some of Raleigh's 650 B wheels that they were offering during this period to allow the bike to handle some rougher roads and trails.
Old 02-22-10, 06:39 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Nice build, Sixty Fiver. I'm guessing the 700c wheels make the ride what it is.

I had a Raleigh Ltd.-3 that I cleaned up, repainted, and added new alloy wheels and brand new SA hub. It was still quite heavy and sluggish compared to my other bikes. I sold it to a coworker at a big loss but he rode it a lot and enjoyed it. When he left town, he sold it to a local so the bike is still around. Perhaps I'll see it again.

There's a local man who has been riding his Superbe ever since he bought it new way back. We were relaxing after a fixed gear alley cat race and when he came by we made him stop so we could check out the cool bike. (cell phone pic, sorry)

headlight still worked, dynamos still on the bike.
Old 02-22-10, 07:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The old Superbe is such a nicely equipped bike and am thinking that if Raleigh had re-introduced the bike as it was (instead of the new hybrid like model) with a few nice upgrades to the brakes and rims it would still be a great seller and would be a competitor to the Pashley roadster.

I have never had a problem selling these bikes through the co-op or through my shop as they are still very popular and everyone seems to know someone that had one and since we have regular tweed rides I now have a vintage geared Raleigh to ride.

My best friend rides a 1980 Raleigh Sports (ladies model) that I picked up NOS... she just loves it.

And because the tinkering never stops, I just swapped out the 18 tooth driver for a shiny new 20 tooth( and put on a new chain) to give me a 49/65/87 gearing instead of the 54/73/97... I can't mash a gear this high anymore and sometimes don't have the full use of my left leg so have to spin like a gerbil on crack.

Increasing the wheel and tyre size requires one to adjust the drive as a bigger wheel equals a taller gearing... the stock gearing on these old bikes was designed for low rpm efforts which are easier when you are sitting upright as you utilize your glutes more.

Most can benefit from the installation of a bigger driver to reduce the overall gearing and allow for easier pedalling and a better hill climbing gear.

It is almost obligatory to take pictures of old English bikes here.

Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 02-22-10, 08:17 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
...And of course, because I built a fair weather and rain bike... it is now snowing.
tell me about it. I just got my project bike into ridable state yesterday, a FrankenVega Viva Touring "OK to get it dirty" bike intended for wet surface commuting (so I can restart my commuting season earlier), not directly pertinent to this thread, except that now that I'm ready for the wet, we've been accumulating snow again for the past week and a half, with more to come through the weekend, and it is not a snow bike (nor have I any intention of commuting 28 miles round trip in snow, on any bike).
Not that we get a lot of rain here, but I'm anticipating several weeks of intermittently wet roads & trails as the winter snow accumulation melts.
Anyway, beautiful build & story, Sixty Fiver. I am reminded of my best boyhood friend's bike, not a Raleigh I think but an equivalent CCM if there was such a thing, double diamond 23" frame, not sure what size wheels (probably 26"), drop bars and Sturmey Archer 3-speed. It was pretty non-descript at the time with many years and miles on it, but he maintained it in good working order and always ran with the rest of us on our new 10 speeds.

Last edited by old's'cool; 02-22-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 08:43 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The last time I built a dedicated rain bike we had a drought that lasted two and a half months...

This is a Kuwahara Cascade mtb with a Shimano 3 speed (the last rain bike) that I built up a few years ago... sold it to a young lady after a few seasons of riding and she still uses this bike on a daily basis and I see it fairly often.

Old 02-22-10, 09:55 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 94 Posts
Very nice build, sixty fiver. All it takes is one Raleigh and the next thing you know, you got a garage full. I think I have 5 or 6 variants of the Sports/Superbe plus a Super Course.

I'll be at Lake Pepin on my 68 Superbe and my daughter will be on her 77 Sports, if I ever get it finished. I won't be riding the 3 speed fixed gear this year, once was enough.
Old 02-22-10, 11:41 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I recently joined the club. I found this 68 at the town dump last month (well actually my dad found it). Someday I want to buy or build a drop bar clubman...

Added a brand new B72 but it doesn't look quite right on the bike so I picked up a $20 B66 with a nice matching patina. Whatever saddle I end up using will get cork grips died and shellacced to match.

Old 02-23-10, 12:31 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
There's a local man who has been riding his Superbe ever since he bought it new way back. We were relaxing after a fixed gear alley cat race and when he came by we made him stop so we could check out the cool bike. (cell phone pic, sorry)

headlight still worked, dynamos still on the bike.
Not to be argumentative, but that's not a Superbe - it's a Sports, kind of. It's one of the "All-Gold Edition" bikes, model number S-22 (the standard Sports is model number DL-22). I know, because I've got one stripped down to bare frame and loose parts in my basement right now, waiting for me to finish the rebuild. The funky chainguard and the twist grip shifters are the giveaway (well, that and the gold paint job).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Right side view 2 (lo res).jpg (98.6 KB, 14215 views)
Old 02-23-10, 06:41 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love those old 3 speeds , too. Great utilitarian transportation.
Attached Images
P1010011.jpg (91.8 KB, 7170 views)
SUNP0029.JPG (68.3 KB, 7246 views)
Old 02-23-10, 07:16 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Very nice, nice story too. It's too bad that the Rudge didn't work out for you, that is one fine bicycle.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 02-23-10, 09:57 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by bikamper
Very nice build, sixty fiver. All it takes is one Raleigh and the next thing you know, you got a garage full.
*cough*

These are both fixed gear conversions... the Twenty was a 3 speed originally and will be a 3 speed again albeit with an SA SX3 fixed gear hub.

1973 Raleigh Gran Sport

1973 Phillip's Twenty

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-19-11 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 10:30 AM
Harvey2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you Aaron, I will.

This thread is aMAZingly fun! Sixty Fiver, I have to say, You're one of the key people
who inspire the rest of us to search these great machines out. It's supposed to get
near ten below zero here overnight and all I can think about is a Raleigh Twenty now.
I'm sunk.

Harv
Likes For Harvey2:
Old 02-23-10, 10:59 AM
twoducks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The paint has seen better days, especially on the fork and chain fender, but she rides like a dream. This is the bicycle that got me into working on old bikes. I got tired of paying people to make repairs for me and just started figuring out how to take it all apart and put it back together. These are old photos, I've added a 30+ year old brooks b72, lights for the dynohub, a nicer looking bell, and taken off the ugly lock clamp. I'll get some new pictures in the spring.

Likes For twoducks:
Old 02-23-10, 11:03 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

twoducks - That is a beautiful Superbe... I see very few red Sports or Superbes with Raleigh badges on them while Phillip's variants tend to be a little brighter and stand out more.
Old 02-23-10, 12:15 PM
twoducks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Sixty Fiver. I've seen one other red one around town (Toronto) that is in much better shape than mine. It still has the original lights, pump, and saddle. A blue one in this style recently popped up on our Craigslist too, it took all of my strength not to buy it.
Old 02-23-10, 12:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by twoducks
The paint has seen better days, especially on the fork and chain fender, but she rides like a dream. This is the bicycle that got me into working on old bikes. I got tired of paying people to make repairs for me and just started figuring out how to take it all apart and put it back together. These are old photos, I've added a 30+ year old brooks b72, lights for the dynohub, a nicer looking bell, and taken off the ugly lock clamp. I'll get some new pictures in the spring.

Hey two ducks...do you have an original hub date and maybe serial number for that Superbe? I've only seen a few few with that unusual decal scheme. I have a similar one with a right fork lamp bracket. Nice tyres!
Old 02-23-10, 01:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Thanks, Sixty Fiver. I've seen one other red one around town (Toronto) that is in much better shape than mine.
The only Superbe I know of in the U.S. market that came in that two-tone scheme was the '64 Superbe Sports Deluxe. The SSD was Bronze Green with black darts and headtube though, and had matching Bronze Green metallic Bluemels fenders (you have to see them to believe 'em).

Your location is a dead giveaway that it's most likely a Canadian variant though. The Canadian models throughout the 1960's and 1970's notably differ from those sold in the U.S.; white fenders are common on the '60s Sports (forgot what year this started and ended), and the post-1973 examples were produced in an eye-splitting lime green that wasn't available across the border. I believe they did a bright orange variant during this time frame as well. Quite unusual, and possibly the most outlandish colors ever put on the Sports; 10 times more so then the two variants of bright yellow applied to the U.S.-market machines.

Take care,

-Kurt

Old 02-24-10, 08:48 AM
twoducks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kurt, that makes sense. The hubdate on the SA hub is 64.

Clubman, I guess that answers your question. I will take a look for the serial number for you soon, the bike is 'in storage' at my parents' place for the winter.

There are a couple guys trying to sell old Raleighs with similar paint schemes on our Craigs these days. One Orangey/gold Lenton Sports has been going up once a week for about 3 months now:
https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1615380897.html

There is another one in purple/white that I can't find the link for. Maybe he finally sold it.
Old 02-24-10, 09:26 AM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
wow that bike is super clean...
i love the chrome fenders against the Gold.

Kurt, that makes sense. The hubdate on the SA hub is 64.

Clubman, I guess that answers your question. I will take a look for the serial number for you soon, the bike is 'in storage' at my parents' place for the winter.

There are a couple guys trying to sell old Raleighs with similar paint schemes on our Craigs these days. One Orangey/gold Lenton Sports has been going up once a week for about 3 months now:

There is another one in purple/white that I can't find the link for. Maybe he finally sold it.
Old 02-24-10, 09:45 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Definitely another Canadian variant.

-Kurt

Old 02-24-10, 10:21 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Here's the oddball Superbe...likely not a Canadian bike with the lamp mount unless someone was asleep at the switch. It had EA1 rims and a 58 AW hub. No indication of there ever being a chainguard or mudguards mounted. The other two blue Superbes are from Halifax. Absolutely mint. Mattress saddles though.

Last edited by clubman; 02-24-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 10:23 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

This guy has an enviable collection of bikes...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37002899@N08/
Old 02-24-10, 10:43 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
wow i love the white Fork Tips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.