Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gearing & climbing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: What adjustments to gearing do you suggest?
Leave it alone, learn to climb you pansy!
15.63%
New crankset, compact double is where it's at.
6.25%
New cassette, a few more teeth in the back go a long way.
56.25%
Do both, you aren't man enough to spin those gears.
21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Gearing & climbing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 07:04 AM
clyderider727

Bikes: None yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gearing & climbing

I just finished up my first Triathlon over the weekend, but did so on a road bike. I picked up a very nice used litespeed and after my first race this weekend I am starting to think the gearing may not be right for me.

I am a tall rider tipping the scales at just barely over 200lbs and road an extremely hilly Olympic length ride. The killer was the climb in the middle that had many sections at 10+% and lasted roughly 2.5 miles. My bike is set up with 53/39 chainrings and a 11-23 cassette. I had to grind through the whole climb with that 39-23 lowest gear.

I am wondering if I should look at changing cassette, cranks/chainrings, or both. I want gearing that will allow me to climb but also doesn't give away too much top end. My previous bike was a 50/34 compact double with a 12-25 cassette, there was a huge difference in the climbing on that bike. Although it was a much heavier bike the gearing made a world of difference on steep climbs.

Still relatively new to cycling, and well aware I picked up a great deal on a little too much bike for me, but I want to be able to to grow into it. What suggestions do you have, should I change out all the gearing or just one set or the other?
Old 06-28-10, 07:18 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just swap the cassette first because that's the easy thing to do. If that's not enough go from there.
Old 06-28-10, 07:22 AM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nobody knows what gearing you need, only you do. We don't know what your hills are like, how fit you are or what your most efficient pedalling style is.

If your bikes' gearing isn't suitable to you, you'd be an idiot not to change it.
Old 06-28-10, 07:44 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by clyderider727
. I want gearing that will allow me to climb but also doesn't give away too much top end.
Start with the cassette, it's cheapest and easiest.

But if you decide you need a compact, don't worry about the top end. 50/11 is good for 44mph at 120 rpm. If you're going any faster than that on a downhill section, you're likely better off stopping pedaling, tucking in very aero, and recovering anyway.

Only time you'd need a bigger gear than 50/11 would be if your course and fitness were such that you were sustaining 36-40 mph on shallow downhills for extended stretches. This is not going to describe many people or many courses.

The more relevant concern with a compact is not top end, it's spacing and cross over points, but that's a different topic.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-28-10, 08:22 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree with swapping out the cassette first. 50/34 11/23 still probably won't give you enough gearing for steep 10% hills.
Old 06-28-10, 08:25 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll need to swap out the cassette anyway, so start there. Note that you may need to lengthen your chain by a link as well.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 06-28-10, 08:29 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose the "both" option, not because you aren't man enough but because 34x25 is great if you hit something really hard at the end of a ride. That being said, I run a compact with an 11-23 cassette.
Old 06-28-10, 08:42 AM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 34 X 28 (brand new SRAM red). I was using this gear on a long climb yesterday sustaining 300W at 90 rpm. I never thought I'd want to go this low, but it was my fastest climb up the route to date. It's not about being "man enough."
Old 06-28-10, 08:59 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Nobody knows what gearing you need, only you do.
+1. Think about the question and this is the only answer other than the obvious "Which is easier to swap?" Going up the hill at any particular speed is the same rate of work no matter how you gear it. So you should ask, for your competition and your body is it better to push harder or to spin more? It sounds like you already know the answer.

I haven't filled out the poll. I don't compete. I ride for conditioning and recreation, so I'd rather have lower gears and give up the highs. But your answer will be very different because your purpose is different.
Old 06-28-10, 09:16 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I said new cassette, but honestly "I had to grind through the whole climb with that 39-23 lowest gear" doesn't really tell us much. A new lower cassette will help but may or may not be enough. Start there, try it out, and see if you need more. That plus more training will help a lot.
Old 06-28-10, 10:05 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I said new cassette, but honestly "I had to grind through the whole climb with that 39-23 lowest gear" doesn't really tell us much. A new lower cassette will help but may or may not be enough. Start there, try it out, and see if you need more. That plus more training will help a lot.
Very nice.
Old 06-28-10, 10:09 AM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I ride for conditioning and recreation, so I'd rather have lower gears and give up the highs. But your answer will be very different because your purpose is different.
I have a 50/34 and 11/28. I used to have a 53/39 and 12/25. My low end is obviously lower, but my 50/11 is actually higher than the 53/12. I'm not giving up the high end.

For me, I'm approaching age 50 and will never be a pro racer. Thus, switching to a compact and lower gearing is advantageous for me. Living in Colorado and liking to ride mountains, a wide cassette is also useful. I'm working on my fitness and still need to lose15 lbs, so my speed up hills will improve. Nevertheless, I'd rather spin and push big gears, so the lower gearing is helpful to me. It's hard to "man-up" to using a 28 (I'd still prefer a 27), but this feeling is off the bike, not while suffering up a long, steep hill.

The best idea to give a setup (cassette) a try. If you don't like it, sell the cassette on ebay.
Old 06-28-10, 11:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
so I'd rather have lower gears and give up the highs. But your answer will be very different because your purpose is different.

This is the misnomer I was trying to correct above. The choice isn't between getting lower gears or giving up the highs. You can have both.

The choice is between tighter spacing, but less range, or wider range and wider spacing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-28-10, 11:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I agree that only you can decide on what gearing you need.

The biggest question you need to ask yourself is what type of riding you will be doing....if you will be doing lots of long climbs like you described, you should consider a new cassette and maybe even compact gearing (i.e. smaller front chainring).

On the other hand, if these types of climbs are going to be done rarely, you can probably get by with what you have.
Old 06-28-10, 12:01 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The choice isn't between getting lower gears or giving up the highs. You can have both.

The choice is between tighter spacing, but less range, or wider range and wider spacing.
To put it more succinctly: Higher high, Lower low, Tighter spacing over some or all of the range.
Pick any two.

Of course, with newer gearing, i.e. enough gears, you certainly can have all three.

It wasn't clear whether the OP was asking about the easiest modification to make or the best gearing for his performance.
Old 06-28-10, 01:11 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
OP, 39/23 up a 10% grade should be doable (if not painful) for someone who's race-fit (and not, like me, old).

If you're in a race, and using lower gearing, you'd still be pushing yourself just as hard to make it up a hill. The question, then, is if you would be any faster with lower gears. You might even be slower, because you run the risk, if you don't have a lot of endurance for long climbs, of spinning yourself out of energy.

The only way to know what lower gearing would do in such a situation is to experiment.
Old 06-28-10, 04:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
nobody knows what gearing you need, only you do. We don't know what your hills are like, how fit you are or what your most efficient pedalling style is.

If your bikes' gearing isn't suitable to you, you'd be an idiot not to change it.
bingo!
Old 06-28-10, 04:09 PM
baribari

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long is your crank? If you're very tall and heavy, you want something longer than a 170, for sure...