Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Old 09-09-11, 06:45 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Strava gives no additional information, other than calculating power, over Garmin Connect. It has a different presentation, for instance, you can overlay cadence, heartrate, elevation and speed graphs - that's pretty handy. But, overall, other than the "social network" aspect and some other minor differences, it's very much like Garmin Connect. It's free, so give it a try - RR was my impetus to use it (and she doesn't know it - well, she does now!).

Tomorrow - 100 plus miles are planned. Here's hoping I can finish this ride on my bike, and not in an ambulance!
Old 09-10-11, 12:04 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
The calculator states more watts are required than my wife and I find necessary for the speeds.
No surprise there - you are two of the most efficienct, uberly-aero riders around.
Old 09-10-11, 04:15 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode 70 miles with two buddies today. Not a hard ride with an average HR of 132 bpm.
Old 09-10-11, 07:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
2 hour endurance ride in beautiful 75 degree weather and sunshine.
Old 09-10-11, 11:20 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

101 miles today with a friend at a leisurely 12 MPH, 107 BPM heart rate. I left on the Look and got back home on the Look - no ambulances were harmed in the making of this ride!
Old 09-11-11, 10:21 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Failure of a workout today. Was scheduled to do some L6/7 hills for 1' after a Z3/4 5' leadup. Abandoned the workout during the 3rd repeat. Just don't have it today. Possibly a result of Tuesday's power force workout and Wednesday's crash on the foot bridge. The large hole on my knee cap has yet to begin healing and continues to seep. Maybe a trip to my doctor on Monday in in order?
Old 09-11-11, 12:26 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could be, Jet... that foot bridge is your nemesis.

I had a failed workout yesterday, in that I was hungover and missed my ride completely.

So I did a rare Sunday group ride; one I've been wanting to try. It's known around here as "ATM", meaning Around The Mountain. It leaves from a LBS, goes around South Mountain, with an optional trip up to the communications towers at the top. Since it is flat, with a long stoplight free section, it is the fastest group ride in these here parts:

Section.......Watts....MPH.......Miles
Warmup........167.......18.06.....6
Hammerfest...291.......28.34.....25
Warmdown....224.......18.29.....5
1,000' Climb...279.......13.01.....7
Back to LBS...184.......21.03.....21

I did not pull. Well, I rotated through once, but there was no consistent rotation. It was more like a race peloton. The big guns take turns driving the pace, then drift back for a rest, then head back up and pull again. If you wanted the workout, you just moved to the front and pulled awhile. No issues if you choose/need to suck wheels. Next time, I'll pull my weight more, now that I have the lay of the land.
Old 09-11-11, 12:28 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 hour endurance ride in beautiful 75 degree weather and sunshine.
Nothing better, is there?
Old 09-11-11, 12:29 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
101 miles today with a friend at a leisurely 12 MPH, 107 BPM heart rate. I left on the Look and got back home on the Look - no ambulances were harmed in the making of this ride!
Congratulations, Sara. No new bumps!
Old 09-11-11, 05:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Track workout today... mostly sprinty stuff.
Old 09-11-11, 05:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

AZT, Your numbers look great and what is more compelling is the duration of the power interval. Great work!

AJ, I hope the knee heals up fast. Injuries suck.
Old 09-12-11, 05:36 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was a great 28+ mile interval AZT! At that pace be certain taking a pull won't result in blowing up. Sucking wheel successfully is a skill that you should work on often.
Old 09-12-11, 07:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
That was a great 28+ mile interval AZT! At that pace be certain taking a pull won't result in blowing up. Sucking wheel successfully is a skill that you should work on often.
I agree. Most pro pelotons do not do 28 mph unless there is a feature of the course that promotes additional speed such as a slight downhill or tail wind. Of course they go that fast for the last 10K but they are capable of 450 W thresholds. 28 mph on the flat without aero equipment is going to be a lot of power. It could be as high as 700 watts. Furthermore, 25 miles at 291 watts is a great FTP test since the duration had to be around 52 minutes. We have yet another Jens Voigt posting here.
Old 09-12-11, 08:26 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Jens Voigt, indeed! AzT, I don't how you do it, but it's fantastic that you do! Big Guns doesn't include you? Come on, now! I wish I could produce numbers like that for those distances. It would be fun. You're quite fit, and obviously a very skilled rider.

AJ, what's with that foot bridge? Oh, I hope you heal quickly - do keep us posted!

Hermes - sprinty stuff? I know you and sprints - zoom!!!

After taking yesterday off (and visiting the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos - recommended!), I ran 3.2 miles this morning. Oh, did my thighs talk to me! My right one had a time of it loosening up, I'm favoring that left hip so I'm working my right leg disproportionately. Well, just a speed bump!
Old 09-12-11, 11:24 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have yet another Jens Voigt posting here.
I wish! But thanks everyone. What enabled me to keep the pace were the brief respites, when the group would bunch up a bit before stretching back out, plus the sheer size of the group. I knew how hard the effort was when we finally stopped at a light, and, when we took off again, the brief stop had turned my legs to lead. Other interesting highlights: I had been warned that, when we hit the highway, it would be instant acceleration. When it happened, I was almost dropped, with the guy behind me yelling to close the gap that was forming. I got it done, but it took a bit of the hard effort to get my legs going. The more relaxed pace just hadn't opened them up. It was by far the fastest, and the tightest, peloton I had been in. People speak of the size of your "comfort sphere": how close you are willing to have your front wheel to someone else. Well, the folks in this group have some pretty small spheres. We were packed in tight, with a lot of overlapping. Only once was I uncomfortable with it, when the wheel in front of me just wasn't that predictable.

It was a blast. I'm going to have to fit this ride into my workout schedule.
Old 09-12-11, 02:49 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
AJ, what's with that foot bridge?
It was a different evil bridge in different park. I will pre-ride the routes and look for trolls under the bridges next time.
Old 09-13-11, 08:22 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
It was a different evil bridge in different park. I will pre-ride the routes and look for trolls under the bridges next time.
You and foot bridges, I swear...it must be the trolls!
Old 09-13-11, 11:32 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did "Structured Jumps" on the ride in this morning. 5 x 12-14 pedal strokes all out effort, at 1 minute intervals. 5 sets, to emulate attacks and responses.

I have a crit on 9/24, and plan to enter both M50+ and Cat4. The 50+ race is combined with 60+ but scored separately. I won't be riding Friday-Monday, as we'll be in New Orleans for my Mother In Law's 80th birthday. Planning to do an underground training crit next Tuesday evening to prep for Sat. The training crit draws a big fast crowd, split into A and B. In that crowd, I am definitely a B.
Old 09-13-11, 01:41 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I did our Tuesday Ride this morning, 32.4 miles, only averaging 13.8 MPH. It sure seemed faster. However, there is lot of climbing on this route. Apparently the higher speed flats don't offset the really slow climbs enough to raise the average. None the less, I rode pretty well today. The sprinters were no shows for the ride, but I went off the front at the end of the ride with a couple of the "fast guys" (definitely A riders) anyway and hung on their wheel at 28 MPH for a mile or so. That is just so much fun! There is a Cat 3 climb on this route - I was working my small self really hard up that hill, and I was disappointed to see that Strava said my power output up the hill was only 111 watts (say, what??). I guess I am really a weakling. ;~)

https://app.strava.com/rides/1612442
Old 09-13-11, 02:31 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not buying the Strava power numbers... I opened an account and will try to load something with power tonight. Might not help, as it probably won't calc power if that is provided in the upload, but we'll see.
Old 09-13-11, 04:47 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I'm not buying the Strava power numbers... I opened an account and will try to load something with power tonight. Might not help, as it probably won't calc power if that is provided in the upload, but we'll see.
AzT, I would really love to hear what you discover!
Old 09-15-11, 08:54 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tonight's workout included a 1 hr Z3 interval on the TT bike. Riding scrunched up in a little ball for 1 hr @ Z3 is not a comfortable experience for me. My coach wants my watt numbers from a 20k TT on the TT bike for his records. After Sunday's race that bike will be hanging in the garage for a few months.
Old 09-15-11, 09:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

AJ, I do not think anyone likes it. At a club meeting last year, we had a triathlon pro speak who raced Ironman Triathlons. He would average 305 watts for the 110 mile leg of the time trial scrunched on a TT bike. That is just wrong.
Old 09-15-11, 10:28 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Penultimate Putah Creek Smack Down

Ten miles out and back, pancake-flat, orchards for protection from the wind, new pavement.

My new PB is 24:59. Back in March on the road bike I think I was close to 30:00. Every week I shaved time and this was my goal, to be sub-25:00. I buried myself out there, and like with Esparto, had negative and self-limiting thoughts that I acknowledged and ignored. I'm really pleased with my fastest time ever -- 24.4 mph avg.

Right now it's great to be me.
Old 09-16-11, 06:38 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great job RR. I have yet to learn how to ignore the negative and self-limiting thoughts as well as the "what the hell are you doing to yourself for" thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.