Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2015 PanAm velodrome update

Old 02-18-15, 12:15 PM
nspace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
You need to have beginner races with small numbers of other beginners, going at beginner speeds...for several weeks.

Also, the more experienced racers should fight for this. No experienced racer wants newbies in the field.
That is sort of what I was suggesting—this makes a lot of sense to me. Hopefully when they introduce the weekly series races it will be ability based. I started racing mountain bikes at very relaxed weekly series. Bit of a different ball game since there isn't a lot of pack riding, but it was invaluable in building skills required for higher level of racing.
Old 02-18-15, 12:44 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Milton Cycling Academy will do a weekly(ish) series with a focus on learn to race and the progression. OCA may have just been a bit of a cart before the horse, but unfortunately we are so busy with the new track we haven't been able to get racing off the ground (Im honestly not even sure it will happen before panam). There is only 1 more ocup this year, then provincials in April.

We still have massive wait lists for things like try-the-track and intro-to-track courses, racing has to take a bit of a back seat for a bit. Its this massive crowd of people that will keep the lights on and grow the sport
Old 02-18-15, 01:27 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
The Milton Cycling Academy will do a weekly(ish) series with a focus on learn to race and the progression. OCA may have just been a bit of a cart before the horse, but unfortunately we are so busy with the new track we haven't been able to get racing off the ground (Im honestly not even sure it will happen before panam). There is only 1 more ocup this year, then provincials in April.

We still have massive wait lists for things like try-the-track and intro-to-track courses, racing has to take a bit of a back seat for a bit. Its this massive crowd of people that will keep the lights on and grow the sport
That sounds like a good plan. I live in town and have encountered enough grumpy residents who have had some less than optimistic views on the construction of the track. Seeing sold out courses (especially the more entry level ones) and the entire track booked solid makes me happy and confident about its viability.
Old 02-18-15, 01:46 PM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cat D racers must complete a beginners course. Then they must race in Cat D for AT LEAST 4 complete race days before asking the track director to promote them to C. Even guys are are CAT 1/2 on the road must do this!
After 4 race days and exhibiting bike handling skill AND the ability to keep up speed with the rest of the group, can a person be promoted out of the Ds into the Cs.
That's a great suggestion as well. When I started road racing, I started in the beginner's category, and am slowly planning to move up. With track, we didn't have a choice.

Yes, I was one of the newbies who was in the O-Cup last weekend. Tried the scratch race, and got lapped in the later half. There were 4 of us who had our own race, while the rest lapped us. We kept abreast for almost half the race, before getting left behind. It was a great experience, but it would've been a lot more comforting to try out beginners categories (if available), before jumping in the deep end.

I've also registered to most endurance, structured training courses out there hoping to learn as much as I can. But racing teaches a whole lot more. With the exposure growing, we can surely expect the number of racers to multiply in the coming O-Cups. It would be nice to have some structured capability/age based categories to nurture and test the talent.
Old 02-18-15, 02:40 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
That sounds like a good plan. I live in town and have encountered enough grumpy residents who have had some less than optimistic views on the construction of the track. Seeing sold out courses (especially the more entry level ones) and the entire track booked solid makes me happy and confident about its viability.
People will always be against things they will never use. Drivers hate bike lanes, rich people hate social services, etc. People try and compare this track to Montreal because it went bust. That was nearly 40 years ago...and was built with no legacy plan.

I have 3 intro to track 8-week classes on Saturdays, 20 people each. Not only are they full, I could fill 5 more classes with the wait list alone. This is with basically zero advertising or promotion. We also have very popular youth and women's only classes going, all with wait lists.
Old 02-18-15, 02:43 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 intro to track 8-week classes on Saturdays, 20 people each. Not only are they full, I could fill 5 more classes with the wait list alone. This is with basically zero advertising or promotion. We also have very popular youth and women's only classes going, all with wait lists.
That's awesome!
Old 02-19-15, 08:27 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's great. And I hope the interest keeps growing. After people take their initial training lessons, there should be more courses to look up to. I like how the endurance, motor pacing and such sessions pop up every now and then. There should be more of these available, I'm sure there'll be a huge demand for these as the 'recent graduates' from other classes would be eager to try the next challenge and learn more.
Old 02-19-15, 08:15 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
At DLV, we use ATRA Cat A-D (A being highest, D being new racers).

Cat D racers must complete a beginners course. Then they must race in Cat D for AT LEAST 4 complete race days before asking the track director to promote them to C. Even guys are are CAT 1/2 on the road must do this!

We don't have gear restrictions, but the track director won't let the fast guys dust the pack until the final sprint. So even the Cat 1/2 guys MUST stay in the pack for the entire race till the final sprint.

After 4 race days and exhibiting bike handling skill AND the ability to keep up speed with the rest of the group, can a person be promoted out of the Ds into the Cs.

EDIT: Detailed info here: Racing Categories | The Dick Lane Velodrome
You need to have beginner races with small numbers of other beginners, going at beginner speeds...for several weeks.

Also, the more experienced racers should fight for this. No experienced racer wants newbies in the field.
This is exactly how it should be done. At the old Win-Del track, they used to run a track league every second Saturday, with beginner sessions before the real racing took place. You needed five beginner sessions to race (except for TTs). The beginner sessions would be learn to ride at the start of every session, and then it would move into learn to race for the second half. If there were no first timers, then it moved into learn to race right off the bat. Each session focused on one race (points, devil-take-the-hindmost, F200, TTs, Chariot, etc). Anyone was welcome to ride the beginner sessions, and many guys would use it as a warm up, so people had the ability to ride in a "pack" too. It also meant that there were experienced eyes in the group that could catch things that the instructor couldn't/didn't. Once you graduated to real racing, there was an A and B class, and you needed permission from the officials to race A. Times, experience, and ability were used to promote people.
Old 03-30-15, 10:54 AM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guiseppe Marinoni was at track on Saturday riding. He is 77 now and planning for the 80+ hour record (already holds the 75+)

Giuseppe Marinoni sets hour record at 75-years-old | Canadian Cycling Magazine

Old 03-30-15, 11:12 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool! That would have been an awesome sighting while out at the track! My Marinoni track rides beautifully! I'm happy I was able to get one brazed by him before he hangs up the torch. It would be awesome to see him attempt an hour record in Milton. I'd come out to cheer him on!
Old 03-30-15, 12:49 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Veal is going to be attempting the Canadian and Masters (35-39) hour record on April 10th at Milton. I dont see him having any problem getting it since the current record was set with zero TT equipment by an amateur rider
Old 04-24-15, 04:20 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any news on the rumoured Apr 30th MCA evening race? I haven't seen registration go up yet and someone told me it was happening for sure but that was last week.
Old 04-25-15, 12:25 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No on any more racing this season. Hopefully a semi-weekly series after the summer.

Track closes for 4 months in 2 weeks, get your riding in while you can
Old 04-27-15, 07:07 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww damn. I was looking forward to that race night. Too bad. I'll be ready to go race again in Sept!

Thanks!
Old 04-27-15, 12:02 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Track closes for 4 months in 2 weeks, get your riding in while you can
That seems crazy - what do they need that time for.

Could be worse; the London UK Olympic Velodrome closed for more than a year after the Olympics.
Old 04-27-15, 12:40 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The place feels about 90% finished. Front parking lot still needs to be paved, lots of painting to be done, more seats installed, lots of rooms still not fully finished. I think they just want to close it down completely so they can work without people in the way.

No one wants to ride in the summer anyway, the last 2 days I had the track nearly to myself
Old 04-27-15, 11:02 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

No one wants to ride in the summer anyway, the last 2 days I had the track nearly to myself
You just described my perfect Saturday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
velodrome_1.jpg (38.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by taras0000; 04-28-15 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 06:29 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan, at least next year, to ride year round and not just in the colder months. The last few weeks I haven't been riding the track due to scheduling and I need to get in some longer endurance rides to prepare for MTB season, but I hope to make it a regular thing again post-PanAm. Looks like I'll have 4 months to conduct a ceremonial burning of my Veloflex tires, and find some decent tubulars for September!
Old 04-29-15, 06:58 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

what's wrong with your Veloflex tires?
Old 04-29-15, 07:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
what's wrong with your Veloflex tires?
+1

The Veloflex Record that I had on my Mavic iO was probably the best tubular I've ever owned. Great feel, long lasting, didn't separate from the base tape. What more can you ask for?
Old 04-30-15, 07:38 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had 2 of them spontaneously stop holding air on 2 different wheels. First the rear, and then the front. No punctures. No damage to tire. Never ridden outside, only on wood surface indoors. The first time it happened while training. The rear tire had a big leaky sidewall. Sealant helped...for maybe one ride. I got Veloflex to replace it after bugging them. Then the front tubular went on me in the middle of a race. From 140 psi to about 40 psi in the duration of a 4-lap race. Both tires (Records) had less than 800km on them. I know others praise them, and I've had good look with their clinchers, but really not interested in spending another $240 to be a lab rat again for some questionable QC (you can find many others reporting about leaky Veloflex online as well). I will look for something different. Ride quality was great but wondering when your tubulars are going to spontaneously crap out on you is not worth it.
Old 04-30-15, 10:21 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
I've had 2 of them spontaneously stop holding air on 2 different wheels. First the rear, and then the front. No punctures. No damage to tire. Never ridden outside, only on wood surface indoors. The first time it happened while training. The rear tire had a big leaky sidewall. Sealant helped...for maybe one ride. I got Veloflex to replace it after bugging them. Then the front tubular went on me in the middle of a race. From 140 psi to about 40 psi in the duration of a 4-lap race. Both tires (Records) had less than 800km on them. I know others praise them, and I've had good look with their clinchers, but really not interested in spending another $240 to be a lab rat again for some questionable QC (you can find many others reporting about leaky Veloflex online as well). I will look for something different. Ride quality was great but wondering when your tubulars are going to spontaneously crap out on you is not worth it.
That's fair. I've had similar issues with Conti Steher.
Old 04-30-15, 12:06 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sucks to have expensive stuff not last. And I have had fantastic experiences with both Corsas and Masters on my road bike from Veloflex. After the first I chalked it up to bad luck, but when the front went, I decided I didn't want to risk it anymore as they aren't cheap. I am looking to maybe jut put on a fast rolling road tire with a bit more durability on instead. Like a Corsa SC, or maybe something from Challenge. More research required!
Old 04-30-15, 02:08 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of guys at MNCC are running the vitoria pista evo day in and day out training, like twice a week riding all season. I save mine for racing but have had to ride it more than that and it holds up.

Meanwhile the lower version, the pista elite, I put on as a more every day tire, got a flat after a month Tires are more luck than design IMO
Old 04-30-15, 02:38 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I too am interested to hear reviews of the Challenge tires. they have a track specific tire that's on sale at the moment on Wiggle. Anybody on here tried it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.