Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 - Impressions?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-31-05, 11:40 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

A LBS has offered me a Fuji Roubaix Pro 05 at a great price. Any feedback from owers would be appreciated. I'm new to road bikes and this could be my ever road bike purchase.

How does it stand up in term of spec, handling, quality of ride, ect?

Also, consmetically how does this bike look. I must admit from seeing the stock Fuji pic of ths bike online the swirling red paint work looks a little, er, new age. Any pics or comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-05, 11:47 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's a good bike and a great bang-for-the-buck combination. The '05's were all aluminum whereas in the past, the Pro was offerred also in steel.

I guess my question would be - if you aren't familiar with the bike, how do you know you've been offerred a great price?

Also - have you ridden it? How did it fit and feel compared to the other bikes you've tested?

55/Rad
Old 10-31-05, 11:52 AM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji bicycles in general are rated high among the owners.

While waiting for the replies from other members who have experience with it, here's a good place to start.

roadbikereview.com
Old 10-31-05, 11:56 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
No I haven't ridden it yet. The trouble with my area is there's a limited selection of LBS's and each is quite poorly stocked with road bikes. The mountain bike is the most populor bike in the Highlands so it's not unusual to find 50 mountain bikes for every 3 road bikes in an LBS.

Having said that I was fitted with a similar geometry Fuji, so that's a start. But obviously I won't take the bike until I test ride it.

Anyone care to comment on the cosmetics of the 05 model? From seeing the stock Fuji pics I'm a little worried I'll turn up at the store and hate the look of the bike.
Old 10-31-05, 12:03 PM
B.Diddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at a roubaix recently also. I thought that it looked better in person than it did in the pictures. The down tube is sort of diamond shaped which is a little different than most other brands, and I liked that the graphics were either painted on or decals under a clear coat as opposed to just stickers stuck on top.
Old 10-31-05, 12:03 PM
HWS
Fuji Shill

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 05 Roubaix. The only diff is the pro has a double whereas mine has a triple crankset. I have put well over 1500 miles on mine since I bought it in August and am extremely pleased with it.

I spent 2 months riding and comparing bikes before I bought this one and like RAD said, the bang for the buck is great.

I spent 999.00 out the door not including pedals. The Roubaix Pro was 50 bucks cheaper. (Retail was 1099 for mine and 1049 for the pro.)
Old 10-31-05, 12:13 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01
How does it stand up in term of spec, handling, quality of ride, ect?
a friend has this model and loves it. top to bottom the spec is great for the price. he has no complaints.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 10-31-05, 03:07 PM
magesh

Bikes: 2004 Fuji Bordeaux with Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I compared it with the bike I ended up eventually buying - an 04 Fuji Bordeaux. I'm having a great time with the Fuji. The Felt/Giant/Trek did not do it for me. The Fuji felt good and right.

I chose the Bordeaux over the Roubaix due to cost and components. Since I got the 04 the LBS (Performance Bike in Beaverton, OR) was willing to give me a deal plus the Campy components (based on feedback from this forum) sealed the deal. the Roubaix rode very very well and I wanted that. But it was couple of hundred more and the component was 105. If it had been cheaper by $300/- I would have ended up with the Roubaix.

I have changed the seat to Forte SLX & have done abt 40 miles on it. Did not like the stock seat. Otherwise the bike handles really good.

I don't think u can go wrong with this bike. There was a very good review on one of the bicycling magazines recently. Fujis are good. Very good bang for the buck. Make sure you feel right - size, comfort, etc ...

Good luck with ur purchase and have fun. :-)
Old 10-31-05, 06:02 PM
maximum01

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Fingers crossed the fit is good. I'll post a mini review with some pics when I've tested it out.

I did some more google searches and came across a better pic of the 2005 bike. (See thumbnail below) I must admit the bike looks very nice indeed.