Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

"No TT helmets allowed." Is this actually enforceable?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 10:35 AM
cold turtle
neo-poster

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2018 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro; Cannondale Slice RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Saw this on the flyer for a stage race: NO AERO EQUIPMENT ALLOWED (No TT bikes, aero bars, TT helmets or disc wheels allowed. Aero wheels welcome)

I'm used to seeing mass-start legal equipment only, but never seen anyone try to ban TT helmets (other than Merckx-style TTs). Where do they draw the line? Is there an actual definition of TT helmets somewhere?
Old 04-17-17, 10:54 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for a race here that does merckx TTs , they said. The helmet that you will start a road race or crit with lol
Old 04-17-17, 10:58 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
for a race here that does merckx TTs , they said. The helmet that you will start a road race or crit with lol
In stage races I've done, where they've disallowed aero equipment in the TT, the rule just has been if you wear it in the TT, you've got to wear it in the crit and road race.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-17-17, 11:04 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
If your helmet makes you look like Sonic the Hedgehog, do not use it.
Old 04-17-17, 11:09 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I would totally wear it in the RR and Crit.
Old 04-17-17, 11:12 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

lol, I guess it is no crazier than using a rear disc.
Old 04-17-17, 11:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I once saw a person do a mountainous omnium with a rear disc. All three portions: TT, mass-start mountain climb with 10-17% for the last 1k, and RR.

I don't know how well she did, but I know I used every bit of the triple I ran for that event. (I am not a strong climber and that was my second race weekend.)

Last edited by topflightpro; 04-17-17 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 11:28 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

There's a guy around here that uses a disc in every race he does. I think he even uses it for cx?!?!
Old 04-17-17, 11:39 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
There's a guy around here that uses a disc in every race he does. I think he even uses it for cx?!?!
And MTB. That's [REDACTED]. He's... unique.

Last edited by grolby; 04-17-17 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 12:14 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Might wanna retract that name to not do the public name and shame thing. But yeah, he's been using one as long as I can remember.
Old 04-17-17, 12:18 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Name and shame? The guy has multiple national jerseys!
Old 04-17-17, 12:29 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I once saw a person do a mountainous omnium with a rear disc. All three portions: TT, mass-start mountain climb with 10-17% for the last 1k, and RR.

I don't know how well she did, but I know I used every bit of the triple I ran for that event. (I am not a strong climber and that was my second race weekend.)
there ARE some discs that weigh less than aero rear wheels.

nowadays someone could put an 11-42 on it with a MTB RD.

Might wanna retract that name to not do the public name and shame thing. But yeah, he's been using one as long as I can remember.
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Name and shame? The guy has multiple national jerseys!
tangent: i didn't think the intent was to shame, but personally i find it weird when we're on an anonymous forum (i.e., we're not using OUR real names) and yet some folks casually drop the full names of others. it pops up routinely in race reports.

i know we all have different opinions about our privacy, and it is often easy enough to figure out the name behind the alias, yet i don't recall ever seeing a single person use their full name here while talking about others.

my opinion (not worth much) is that it should be up to that individual whether to spot their full name or not -- even if they are not a member.
Old 04-17-17, 12:53 PM
grolby

Not meant as shame. He's an interesting guy. Great bike racer. Riding a disc everywhere is unique and a little strange. I don't meant to imply any more than that; I don't know him very well.
Old 04-17-17, 12:56 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by tetonrider
tangent: i didn't think the intent was to shame, but personally i find it weird when we're on an anonymous forum (i.e., we're not using OUR real names) and yet some folks casually drop the full names of others. it pops up routinely in race reports.

i know we all have different opinions about our privacy, and it is often easy enough to figure out the name behind the alias, yet i don't recall ever seeing a single person use their full name here while talking about others.

my opinion (not worth much) is that it should be up to that individual whether to spot their full name or not -- even if they are not a member.
This is a good point. Were it someone else, who wasn't a multiple national champion and who wasn't widely known for the disc wheel quirk (there's at least one video of him out there specifically discussing the disc wheel thing), I'd have hestitated more. Still happy to go back and retract, it just seems odd to be so circumspect about someone so well-known and so readily identifiable.
Old 04-17-17, 01:06 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think (?) there are some helmets not legal for mass start use. They're TT specific, i.e. pointy, which I think precludes them from mass start races. Think the original aero helmets from Giro, for example, or the Bell whatever pointy helmet.

I've been out of the scene for a bit so I don't know what the situation is now.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 04-17-17, 07:31 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cold turtle
Saw this on the flyer for a stage race: NO AERO EQUIPMENT ALLOWED (No TT bikes, aero bars, TT helmets or disc wheels allowed. Aero wheels welcome)

I'm used to seeing mass-start legal equipment only, but never seen anyone try to ban TT helmets (other than Merckx-style TTs). Where do they draw the line? Is there an actual definition of TT helmets somewhere?
wherever the race director wishes to draw the line. As some have posted, some RD would allow TT helmet if you wear said helmet in the other stages as well. Others ban them out right. What you think and what I think are a moot point if it doesn't follow whatever capricious rule the RD drew up. And yes, I actually had this exact exchange with a RD of a stage race a few years back, and i relented in the end. YMMV.

FWIW, the difference between aero road helmet and TT helmets is about the same btwn aero road helmet and regular road helmet
Old 04-18-17, 08:42 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I think (?) there are some helmets not legal for mass start use. They're TT specific, i.e. pointy, which I think precludes them from mass start races. Think the original aero helmets from Giro, for example, or the Bell whatever pointy helmet.

I've been out of the scene for a bit so I don't know what the situation is now.
Having gone through this with junior TTs and collegiate TTs (as recent as Sat). Here is my understanding (without looking it all up).
Other than collegiate, where USAC tries to spell it out, the road bike TT rules are made up by the promoter The rest is up to the local Chief referee. Even on USAC website they post conflicting rules for college and when asked I was told to just follow the rule book. Here are some areas. The scope is for USAC races - not those also under UCI.

-All helmets, legal for one USAC race are legal for other USAC races. USAC requires helmets be worn at all times and they meet ANSI standards (forgot witch).

-Wheels must have 16 metal spokes. That also varies, from 12 or so and I've sen profile added, but in general 16 metal does the trick. There was posting on the USAC site saying collegiate required UCI approved wheels. That is not in the rule book. Note tri-spokes and discs are legal wheels for all USAC races so saying 16 metal cut both of those out.

-Bars must meet USAC mass start requirements is the current understanding. Some referees were saying "no areo" meant the bars needed to be round. Any clip-on or HB extension is out. This is a real vague area with the use of tape and computers. Some computers are being used as extensions. Some bar tops are being padded to better support the IAB position. Both seem to be allowed, but I can see a referee shutting wither one down.

-Frames are not to be TT frames for some races, OK for Collegiate. I asked and was told no, and yes.

-No aero water bottles means the bottle is round. Some frames are faster with a bottle in the triangle and those are disallowed. Most don't use them. I've seen a few camel backs.

My opinion only (being Bike forum and all)
They should require a USAC mass start legal bike with 16 metal spokes - done.
I like the requirement to use the same bike for the other events, but pretty hard to admin.
Old 04-18-17, 08:55 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
What a strange thing to post?

Here he is winning cx nats: Curley Dominates Masters Men 60-64 at the 2015 National Championships: Race Report and Full Results - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

I remember I did a double take when I saw him come around with the disc.
Old 04-18-17, 09:04 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

The wording was poor, but what I mean is that I could see a dude not on the forum not being cool with his name being posted.
Old 04-18-17, 09:21 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could see him not being cool with yet another 3 stooges reference he's been suffering through since birth.
Old 04-18-17, 09:48 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The wording was poor, but what I mean is that I could see a dude not on the forum not being cool with his name being posted.
I wish these posts were not public.
When I misspell a name on purpose, someone always corrects it for me. I end up being both vague and irritating in my attempt not to use names. I guess for adults, it is not a big deal, but when I was posting about the minors, I thought it better to leave names off - for the illusion of privacy at least.