Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How died in the wool as a commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How died in the wool as a commuter?

Old 08-12-19, 05:34 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been commuting by bike since Feb 2011 and it was 15 f degrees on my first day. The cold did not stop me that day nor has it stopped me since. I don't go below 10 f degrees. The ice and snow on the road stop me due to the hill at the end of my commute where I take a left turn and fear for my life. Also I find life has been getting in my way of cycle commuting this year. While my husband was having radiation I could not bike commute as I did not have enough time to fit his health care and my work. Now I am working 9 hour days so I can work half a day Friday's making me more tired. I try and commute as much as possible as I love riding my bike.
Old 08-13-19, 06:51 AM
zacster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
New York City traffic has reached a crisis level in recent years. I've been back here for only six years, and the crisis developed since I've been here. At the same time, the subways are working much worse in the same period. As a result, the only mode of transportation that has a predictable travel time is bicycle. A lot of bike trips that New Yorkers make are not fun, but they suck less than all other modes of travel. The radio news (WNYC) did a story about this, as it is doing a series about commuting on all modes. Lots of people calling in weighed in about how bike commuting is the only reliable way. The amount of time a trip takes by bike today is the same amount as it took yesterday. The variation of travel times by other modes is mind-boggling. If you have a long car drive, it could take more than an hour longer than estimated on some days. Some commuter train rides take two hours longer than estimated. Of course, a bike commute can't replace a trip of great distance, so I'm lucky I don't have to travel many miles, but I often have to go five or six miles in the city, and even if I have to traverse some very harrowing intersections, I'd rather not take a car, taxi, bus, or subway.
Last year I commuted by bike as much as I could and dreaded taking the subway, but this year I found myself bike commuting less. There were a number of factors in this, rain, the forecast of rain, the oppresive heat, family things that I needed to take care of on certain days, and lastly being asked to go out for my retirement parties. There was a never ending series of reasons not to bike in.
Old 08-15-19, 07:05 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
During the summer it is off and on. Florida weather brings heavy rain July-August from 3 until sunset, at least 4 days out of 7. Winter only gets down to upper 20s, with not as much rain, so most days there. My other factor is my running. Right now am building speed for a half marathon, so I try to time speed work with rainy days so I donít bonk out on the ride in. The plus side is longish rides of mid effort in the evening really help loosen you up.