Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Restoration/Preservation of Raleigh Competition G. S.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 07:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts

I got it with much of the Catalog Spec. Missing a wheel, the rear rim is an Ambrosio Elite,
the FW is a Suntour 13/28 and obviously the saddle.
First concern is the preservation of the decals. I'm looking for advice on removing some
oxidation while not harming the graphics and preserving the graphics from the abuse of normal riding and handling.

Not a candidate for refinishing.

Last edited by Classtime; 11-10-19 at 07:32 PM. Reason: additions
Old 11-11-19, 08:53 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
That looks really nice. I would wash the frame very lightly with a windex, or something very mild. That may not do much, I also like to wipe down everything with a motor oil or wd40. That will do wonders of course you will need to careful at the decals. On top of that one can do wax or a little more aggressive some rubbing compound.

That should clean very well.
Old 11-11-19, 12:58 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
+1 on clean and wax.
Old 11-11-19, 01:20 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I got it with much of the Catalog Spec. Missing a wheel, the rear rim is an Ambrosio Elite,
the FW is a Suntour 13/28 and obviously the saddle.
First concern is the preservation of the decals. I'm looking for advice on removing some
oxidation while not harming the graphics and preserving the graphics from the abuse of normal riding and handling.
Hey, nice bike there! Almost all there and it looks like a garage queen. Yep, you do need to find a new saddle. The Grab-On grips are quaint and period correct, but c'mon. Oddly enough they are still in business. Pretty sure OEM would be cotton tape.

WD40 is pretty good for general bike cleaning. It's pretty much all we used when I worked in bike shops BITD. Before sealed bearings, anything with water in it was considered a no no. Whatever you use, test on a small spot first.

A very mild compound like Meguiars 17 "plastic cleaner" should be enough to remove surface oxidation and bring up the shine without harming the decals. Follow with wax.
Old 11-11-19, 01:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
... and preserving the graphics from the abuse of normal riding and handling.

Not a candidate for refinishing.
...I used to just clean, wax and ride. But lately, having done some complete repaints that I finished with a final coat of epoxy clear coat, I'm of the opinion that if you're up to a lot of work, in terms of stripping off all the parts and components (IOW prepping for a repaint), and have someplace out in the back yard where you can spray it out, coating everything with SprayMaxx 2k is probably the most durable coating you can achieve for trying to save the original graphics.

I did this on a '58 Lenton recently, and it turned out well. Also just did it on this Stella. But the whole thing is much more labor and time intensive than cleaning and waxing.

The paint itself is a remarkable advance for us home project painters, and dries to a very hard, clear, glossy finish that is almost as durable as Imron. You buy it at an automotive paints place, or online. You want the "Clear Glamour" version. One can is just about the right amount for a frame and fork, or maybe a frame and two forks if you're doing another project at the same time.
Old 11-11-19, 02:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

.^^^^
...addendum: if you do decide to do this, mask off the chrome. In my experience it is a mistake to put a clear finish like this over polished chrome. It seems to adhere pretty well to older paint surfaces that are securely bonded to the underlying surface, but there will probably be some problems getting it to adhere well to polished chrome. Not right away, probably, but somewhere down the line.
Old 11-11-19, 03:38 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
.^^^^
...addendum: if you do decide to do this, mask off the chrome. In my experience it is a mistake to put a clear finish like this over polished chrome.
Lacquers work better for this. I like Mohawk M102-0420 'tone finish' clear gloss. It's in a rattle can, sticks to the chrome and flows out nicely. It's tough to tell that it's there, and it will come off with acetone if need be.

I like bronze wool followd by simichrome to clean and polish chrome. Treat with rust remover first if necessary.

I personally would not clear over the paint. I can see the practical arguments, but to me it just ruins the vintage look. I prefer restorations that are reversible. Just my preference.
Old 11-11-19, 06:51 PM
Classtime 

I removed everything but the fixed cup, then washed and waxed trying to be careful with the decals. Man, those things are delicate. I used nail polish on part of the 531 but it is too thick. I plan to brush on some reconstituted spray lacquer to protect the decals and touch up the scrapes with Testors.
Wish I could replace the pads and keep the holders.

531!

How hard is it to put on a sticker?
Old 11-11-19, 07:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Lacquers work better for this....

I personally would not clear over the paint. I can see the practical arguments, but to me it just ruins the vintage look. I prefer restorations that are reversible...
...the fragility of lacquer paints is why I end up doing a lot of my repaints anyway. I'm one of those, "Why would god give me Imron if he didn't want me to use it ?" people. I think maybe I developed this method of painting as an outflow of my prior experience with art glass. We pretty much clear cased over everything as a final layer, so to my eye it looks swell.

To the OP: be careful putting reconstituted lacquer over those decals. It's a good test of just how "fragile" they are. The solvents in lacquer paints can bubble them a little, and it happens faster than you can say, "Awwww, crap."
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-11-19, 07:35 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
the zip ties must go
Old 11-11-19, 08:17 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by ryansu
the zip ties must go
They are placeholders.
I only have two of the Weinmann clips and they will go on when I get brake lever hoods and new cables.
I'm troubled by the Campy 626a. How low should the guide be positioned. Should that little tab rest against the BB.The front derailleur cable hits the seat tube.
Old 11-11-19, 08:29 PM
Salamandrine 

...the fragility of lacquer paints is why I end up doing a lot of my repaints anyway. I'm one of those, "Why would god give me Imron if he didn't want me to use it ?" people. I think maybe I developed this method of painting as an outflow of my prior experience with art glass. We pretty much clear cased over everything as a final layer, so to my eye it looks swell.
Just to clarify: My suggestion was for lacquer over the chrome sections only - that is if Classtime wants to clear the chrome. I do not suggest lacquer over the paint and decals. Mask the painted section off completely. Lacquer clear over paint has been done in the past, but it's asking for trouble: crackles, decal lifting, etc. I agree with you on the danger to decals.
Old 11-11-19, 08:34 PM
Salamandrine 

I'm troubled by the Campy 626a. How low should the guide be positioned. Should that little tab rest against the BB.The front derailleur cable hits the seat tube.
I've always put those as low as they will go, and that works for me.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 11-11-19, 09:13 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Those front brake pad holders look the business for mountain descending, cooling fins.
Old 11-11-19, 09:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Those front brake pad holders look the business for mountain descending, cooling fins.

...I'm pretty sure those are the bonded pads with heat fins that everyone tossed out when there were some reports of adhesive failures at the pad/finned holder interface. I forget the name, and I could be wrong. I have some I've been afraid to use after I removed them from a project bike.
Old 11-11-19, 10:51 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
Matthauser brake pads. I would keep 'em just for show.
Old 11-12-19, 06:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

...I'm pretty sure those are the bonded pads with heat fins that everyone tossed out when there were some reports of adhesive failures at the pad/finned holder interface. I forget the name, and I could be wrong. I have some I've been afraid to use after I removed them from a project bike.

Wow, I was just sort of kidding about the cooling. That really was a thing?
Old 11-12-19, 07:48 AM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wow, I was just sort of kidding about the cooling. That really was a thing?
Is a thing. Seems Scott Mathouser is still around. And Koolstop makes a version.
Old 11-12-19, 07:59 AM
jamesdak 

Is a thing. Seems Scott Mathouser is still around. And Koolstop makes a version.
Hmmm......

I have literally had smoke coming off my front brake two years in a row when I overcooked a horsebend turn during a descent at the Tour De Park City. Felt like an idiot doing the same stupid thing on the same turn because I forgot, LOL!
Old 11-12-19, 09:54 AM
Salamandrine 

FWIW it's Yokozuna that makes the current licensed version of the Scott Mathauser 'superbrake' pads.

Yokozuna Premium Cables, Housing and Brake Pads

These have inserted not glued on pads so they are more safe than the original.

It's usually been argued that the insulating properties of the rubber pad made the fins irrelevant. I'm not sure that's entirely true, but it's mostly true. The rim itself is the main heat sink, by far.

FWIW. Some vendors still have the identical looking but Scott-Mathauser branded modernized superbrake pads. Not sure if that's NOS, what the deal is between them and Yokozuna, or if they are still making them in Oregon or wherever it was.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 11-12-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-13-19, 07:29 AM
Classtime 

Still needs new brake blocks.

Just about done..
Old 11-13-19, 08:06 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Looks great!!!
Old 11-25-19, 10:01 PM
Classtime 

I found what appear to be the proper brake blocks with plenty of life remaining.

Not very dry X-brake pads.

For wheels-- I had a Record front hub and an Araya rim to put together with salvaged spokes and nipples. It matches pretty nicely with the Nuovo Tipo rear hub and the Ambrosio rim that came with the bike. Whoever built that rear wheel, must have used the same length spokes for both sides. I've never had to pull a rim so far for a proper dish. The Ambrosio 19 rim is pretty cool and I wish I knew the story about how it came to be on the Raleigh. It has a bit of a flat spot and it's not true to the .5mm but the tension should keep it stable. I happened upon a 14/22 FW which matches the Raleigh catalog. This one is a Regina but the catalog doesn't specify.

Not yet ready to trust these wheels to Paso Robles and back.

Catalog spec 14/22 for EroicaCA?
Old 11-26-19, 02:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Great bikes, you will love it. I bought one a 1977 that was never ridden from the original owner about five years ago and it gets a lot of use. I take it into my workshop and clean/ wax it a couple of times a year. I just performed this maintenance and rode it Sunday.

Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-26-19, 10:40 AM
bgross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

In 1981 I bought a Competition GS from a friend. LOVED that bike.
Then life changes had the bike hanging in the garage, unbidden, for about ten years. Occasionally I’d look at it and be depressed that I didn’t have time to ride. Finally I took it back to the shop where it had been bought and said “here, John. Keep it, sell it, give it away. It deserves better than hanging in the garage.” Don’t know what ever became of it.
Still remember it fondly.