Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Options for having an Under Seat bag.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-31-19, 08:37 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Looking for feedback/opinions. This is not a problem, just an evolution of my riding style. I want to go away from having an under-seat bag. In my opinion it takes away from the overall aesthetic of my bike and in my case, looks kinda ugly. Certainly need the supplies that are in the bag with me tho! Looking for a streamlined bag or kit or case that I can put my spare tube, Co2, levers, nozzle and small tool in and store in my jersey instead of an underseat bag. Does anyone make anything specifically for this, or what are you guys and gals using? Ok... GO!
thank you.
Old 10-31-19, 09:11 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Google "Jersey pocket case" You'll find plenty of options. Don't use one myself so nothing specific to reccomend.
Old 10-31-19, 09:19 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Well, I don't put that stuff in a jersey, it would drive me nuts.

I use a Road Runner Burrito bar bag. I store my iPhone in there, a multi-tool, and a small zippered neoprene wallet. I can also fit in an energy bar or two. I don't need to carry a tube, but if I did, I think I could probably fit that in as well. If not, they have a larger version called the Burrito Supreme. Personally, I prefer a small saddle bag, but Bluetooth doesn't work as well with the phone in a saddlebag. The bar bag doesn't look great (I'm talking aesthetically, the bag itself looks fine), but it works. https://roadrunnerbags.us/collection...-handlebar-bag

A bottle cage tool kit/keg is another option. Or maybe a Topeak Cage Pack. It's designed for a bottle cage, but it looks like it might also fit a jersey pocket, though I'd imagine it would be less bulky to just cram stuff in the various pockets. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...g/796-cagepack
Old 10-31-19, 09:52 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Bottle cage tool kit mounted on the bottom of your down tube
Likes For Elvo:
Old 10-31-19, 09:52 AM
wutareyoudoin

Bikes: BMC RoadMachine 02Two, CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Waterfield Ride Pouch that I like a lot. It fits a tube, 1 or 2 16g CO2s, nozzle, tire levers, and a multi-tool pretty handily without being too bulky. Also has room for a phone, credit cards, etc. Fits nicely in the jersey pocket. I can't post a link since I just registered, but Google will send you right to it.

Its pricey (~80.00usd) but I've had mine for several months and about 2k miles and its a very quality piece. I got it because I didn't like having to switch saddle bags around for multiple bikes. This made things a lot simpler.
Old 10-31-19, 10:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've tried the jersey pocket method. PITA. Especially with the ultra thin jerseys I wear in Texas summers. A tire patch/tube kit, etc., just shifted the weight from under the saddle where I didn't notice it to bumping off my butt, which I did notice.

Best minimalist seat bag I've tried that doesn't cost much is the Lezyne Road Caddy. The Roll Caddy may be even smaller. $20 for either. I have zero complaints about the Road Caddy. Cinches tight, does what I need. On longer solo rides in rural areas, 50-100 miles, I strap a folding tire under the Road Caddy with a velcro strap, and it's still lower profile than some small saddle bags. No wobble or wiggle, not noticeable while riding.

A couple of friends have the Silca under saddle roll bags. They look good. Costs more. Not any more discreet than the Lezyne.

Lezyne Road Caddy under saddle. Coincidentally, this photo was from the first time I actually needed to use the bag contents to fix a flat, a couple of months ago. I've since switched bar wrap and bottle cages to black.
Old 10-31-19, 10:40 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I use a large Sticky Pod now: https://miles-wide.com/product/stick...ack-camo-copy/

I too tired of the under seat bag...it got in the way of my tail light, I had to take it off to put the bike on a stand, and just looked bad. Tried the bottle cage holder thingy...it was OK but does not hold as much as the Sticky Pod and I almost always take 2 water bottles with me on rides so it didn't work out.

After the first ride I never felt the weight in my jersey pocket.
Likes For JasonD67:
Old 10-31-19, 10:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
It's a personal decision. There is nothing "wrong" with using a saddle bag. Nor is there anything "wrong" with putting items in jersey pocket or borrowed water bottle spot.

Personally, I have a cheap drawstring bag and have repair kit inside, goes in middle jersey pocket. You can get fancier bags or cheap out and use a Ziploc bag.

Go with what works for you.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-31-19, 10:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I dont love the look of saddle wedge bags, but I cant see them when I ride and I rarely sit in my garage and stare at my bikes, so the value of aesthetic for something I rarely see is low.
And given I enjoy water when riding, taking a water bottle spot to fit a tool pouch seems limiting.

https://northstbags.com/collections/tool-rolls
Would one of these in a jersey pocket sound good? Seems kinda big, but its a tool roll.
Or would attaching it to the saddle's underside look better to your eye?
Old 10-31-19, 11:43 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Not sure who posted this idea first but I used it on my gravel bike. Small Lezyne bag and the wolftooth B-rad system puts the bag below your water bottle.

Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 10-31-19, 12:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
However you choose to do it, be sure to carry what you may need. Don't be that guy who has to beg a tube or CO2 because he didn't want a bag messing up his bike
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-31-19, 12:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Looking for feedback/opinions. This is not a problem, just an evolution of my riding style. I want to go away from having an under-seat bag. In my opinion it takes away from the overall aesthetic of my bike and in my case, looks kinda ugly. Certainly need the supplies that are in the bag with me tho! Looking for a streamlined bag or kit or case that I can put my spare tube, Co2, levers, nozzle and small tool in and store in my jersey instead of an underseat bag. Does anyone make anything specifically for this, or what are you guys and gals using? Ok... GO!
thank you.
That stuff goes in the team vehicle. Carrying supplies with you is for peasants!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-19, 12:53 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Go the other direction get a handlebar bag ...now you have room for your ride tools AND extra clothing/food. Enjoy the sensation of riding without a bunch of cr**p stuffed in your back pockets.
Old 10-31-19, 01:24 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
After years of carrying two tubes, two CO2 cartridges and some tools, all stuffed into my jersey pockets, I went the opposite direction and got an arundel dual seat bag. With light 23-25mm tubes, I can cram two tubes, a shortened quik stick tire tool and two CO2 cartridges into the bag. I still put a small coin purse in my jersey, with a few allen wrenches, screw driver some money and a copy of my driver's license (so they can ID the body).
Old 10-31-19, 01:31 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
I would suggest this. It's a cell phone holder but also a sort of minimal carry all tool. You can mount it to water bottle mounts if you wish, and you can mount anything that can be held on with rubberized elastic straps.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5055-7...cessory-Holder
Old 10-31-19, 01:54 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Lezyne makes a pretty compact bag. Large enough for a tube, CO2 cartridge, micro adapter, and one tire lever.
Old 10-31-19, 02:00 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Here's what I carry.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...ridge/p/157236
Old 10-31-19, 03:57 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
I have been eyeing the Road Tube Spool. Comfy enough?
Old 10-31-19, 04:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Both of these pics are crazy old (over a year) and both layouts have changed a bit since, but it gets the point across.

Wolftooth B-RAD + Castelli Undersaddle Mini

Wolftooth B-RAD + Wolftooth Roll-top drybag.

Old 10-31-19, 04:23 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I have been eyeing the Road Tube Spool. Comfy enough?
Very much so. I carry it in my back middle pocket. I stand a lot when riding & it doesn't sway. Not noticeable at all. I wear my jerseys fairly tightly. If you had a loose jersey maybe you'd notice it when standing???

They are very popular with the guys I ride with.

I don't carry a multi-tool so that may turn off some but I never carried one on my road bike anyway.
Old 10-31-19, 05:58 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
thank you.
The fanny pack.
I use a sporty neoprene one under jersey great for $, phone, yadda...
Old 10-31-19, 06:02 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Trek makes something like this. It's called the 2020 Domane, with storage for all that built into the downtube.

But otherwise, one of the downtube packs that others have posted should do just fine.
Old 10-31-19, 06:04 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Not sure who posted this idea first but I used it on my gravel bike. Small Lezyne bag and the wolftooth B-rad system puts the bag below your water bottle.

I could do things to that bike...and I mean that in the best of ways. Love it!
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-31-19, 11:01 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Cheap fix. I use an old water bottle, slice in two. Place supplies inside, slide top over lower section. '

If not too many supplies, I place a baggy inside as stuffing to keep tools from pinging around.

Much cheaper than then fancy bottle looking cases and very inconspicuous.

I do this if there are water sources available.

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 10-31-19 at 11:12 PM.
Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 10-31-19, 11:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Right up until you need to carry like... more than one bottle of water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.