Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 04:31 PM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
A couple of pics from my upcoming build....

its a 48cm Bridgestone XO-1 from 1992. It'll have a full sram rival group (older version in silver) I pieced together. The brifters are the newer carbon versions though (the silver ones usually don't age well).

this particular XO-1 the very first (and weirdest) version from 1992 which has regular caliper brakes (instead of the cantilevers standard in the next year), the 26" (559mm) rims, and standard road bike geometry.

I'm happy is that its going to fit my wife nicely (she's 5'4"), because of the 26" rims and shorter stand over height. I understand that there are 42cm version of these frames are the ultimate road frame geo/sizing for even shorter people because of the sloping top tube and 26" rims.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roomwithavu/2244683152/

we did a quick stand over and sit test with this 48cm frame (80mm stem and short reach compact bars) and it works out nicely. at least this way she can have her traditional flat top tube vintage road bike look that she wants.

Last edited by runningDoc; 11-12-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 06:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I always wondered about those bikes, and now I don't. Great bike, will be a nice build.
Old 11-25-12, 10:34 AM
steve.voller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking to build a Rossin Team frame (1985 Verandralux) but with modern kit, has anyone had any issues expanding the rear dropout size from 126mm to 130 to take 8-9 spd cassette ?

Also looking for some advice on groupset options, its been 15 years since I had a road bike and I am out of touch with whats current, saying that its going to be 2nd hand components so Im looking for something that looks the part but easy to live with on a day to day basis.

I would prefer STI although I could live with shifters on the downtube I do like the modern look and feel plus convenience of my Felt Z85 105 shifters. I dont want something that is brand new so here is where I am looking for advice:

If I look for groupsets in the 90's Campagnolo, Shimano etc will they have the concealed cables on the brakes/shifters ? ( I dont like the early Dura Ace with the cables sticking out the side of the hoods)
Old 11-25-12, 11:02 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Steve - If you want to go with Shimano, you'll have to get current production for the concealed cables. Previous generations had the shift cables coming out the sides. Campy from the 90s has some cachet, so it tends to be higher priced. You can get a current Campy ten speed groupset for <$500 for Veloce.

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-25-12, 01:22 PM
runningDoc

Originally Posted by steve.voller
I am looking to build a Rossin Team frame (1985 Verandralux) but with modern kit, has anyone had any issues expanding the rear dropout size from 126mm to 130 to take 8-9 spd cassette ?

Also looking for some advice on groupset options, its been 15 years since I had a road bike and I am out of touch with whats current, saying that its going to be 2nd hand components so Im looking for something that looks the part but easy to live with on a day to day basis.

I would prefer STI although I could live with shifters on the downtube I do like the modern look and feel plus convenience of my Felt Z85 105 shifters. I dont want something that is brand new so here is where I am looking for advice:

If I look for groupsets in the 90's Campagnolo, Shimano etc will they have the concealed cables on the brakes/shifters ? ( I dont like the early Dura Ace with the cables sticking out the side of the hoods)
If you like sram... all sram groups has concealed cables. You can piece together a used sram group for a lot cheaper, but then again eBay offering of whole sram groups brand new can be almost the same price as buying used piecemeal.

if you want shimano then its the modern 2011 onward 105 brifters that are the most inexpensive concealed handlebar cable offerings from shimano. you can actually just find 10sp tiagra stuff and use the 105brifters its all compatible.

As for rear spacing. Cold setting a steel frame is a fairly straightforward process. You can take it to the local bike shop and have them do it, or go the Sheldon Brown route/home method. I personally did the home method using this guide: https://seenonthetrain.blogspot.com/2...cle-frame.html

You also have to have a 8/9/10 speed compatible rear free hub. You can swap out the old 6/7sp freehub if its a shimano pretty easily (but you still need to re-dish the old wheel to move the axle a little inward. Sometimes its easier just to buy a whole new rear wheel that is 8/9/10sp compatible.

modern wheels don't have to be that expensive... bike island has some great offerings for whole wheel sets that are modern https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...Wheelsets-Road
Old 11-25-12, 03:51 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
A couple of pics from my upcoming build....

its a 48cm Bridgestone XO-1 from 1992. It'll have a full sram rival group (older version in silver) I pieced together. The brifters are the newer carbon versions though (the silver ones usually don't age well).

this particular XO-1 the very first (and weirdest) version from 1992 which has regular caliper brakes (instead of the cantilevers standard in the next year), the 26" (559mm) rims, and standard road bike geometry.

I'm happy is that its going to fit my wife nicely (she's 5'4"), because of the 26" rims and shorter stand over height. I understand that there are 42cm version of these frames are the ultimate road frame geo/sizing for even shorter people because of the sloping top tube and 26" rims.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roomwithavu/2244683152/

we did a quick stand over and sit test with this 48cm frame (80mm stem and short reach compact bars) and it works out nicely. at least this way she can have her traditional flat top tube vintage road bike look that she wants.
Very nice. I'm loving what you are doing with this, though an older 9s campy group will add the ultimate touch of class (don't get me wrong, I have SRAM on my bikes too). What's the story on the fork? is that an adapter, or did you somehow get a longer fork?
Old 11-25-12, 07:32 PM
runningDoc

Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
Very nice. I'm loving what you are doing with this, though an older 9s campy group will add the ultimate touch of class (don't get me wrong, I have SRAM on my bikes too). What's the story on the fork? is that an adapter, or did you somehow get a longer fork?
I've got a build thread going with the XO-1 here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tone-XO-1-1992

Its the original fork I just threw on the clamp adaptor on top of the old shimano 600 headset sans top locknut in that picture. so the stem slid down to the top assembly and had exposed threadless adaptor on top to which I put a spacer. the stem wasn't even clamped down tight (i didn't want to damage the threads on the steerer). On a side note the threaded steerer on these XO-1's are actually quite long. They were made that way and even shipped with a large spacer in between both lock nuts.
Old 11-25-12, 10:13 PM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
I got my 1st test ride on this one today. An ebay deal that I scored locally. I believe it's a '79 Mondia Prestige frame w/ 531 tubing. Pretty light at 20 lbs, so it might even be 531SL tubing...not sure? I was sold on it since it had a good fresh paint job. The seller wasn't exactly sure what make the frame was. But I did . I have a '82 Mondia Super w/ 531SL tubing, so the ebay pics clued me in. This one's a little smaller (56cm) than my existing one (60cm). I've been on the lookout for a smaller framed Mondia, so when it came up, I jumped on it.

Purchased as a 'frame only' & I built it up w/o hesitation, robbing most parts off one bike and the rest I had stashed away. Wheeled & dealed for the SR Crankset & put them all to good use. Decals compliments of Cyclomondo. Still waiting on a long silver seatpost that's 26.6mm from the UK....

Striking and beautiful buildup man. What method did you use to finish your tape? Looks really cool.
Old 11-25-12, 10:19 PM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Cool, here is mine

Wow, fantastic job Jet. Bikes like these are the reason there is drool on my desk when I peep this thread. Love the seatpost. Is it painted?. Did it change the effective diameter or was the change negligible? I've been wanting to paint a seatpost to match one of my frames after I saw a stunning all white Merlin Extralight over on the road forum, and I think yours makes my mind up for me.

Last edited by James1:17; 11-25-12 at 11:06 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 11-26-12, 07:07 AM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tamaso206
runningDoc-- that thing looks stunning as ever, fenders or no!

in the spirit of fall, fenders, and five-thirty-one:

(excuse the crummy phone pic)

my new baby, 1983 trek 600 frameset build w/ 10speed veloce. love at first ride. sad to say this will signal my departure from the fraternal order of centurion ironman, simply not enough storage space living in the city. big thanks to everyone on this thread and c&v-- a few years ago i wouldn't have even wanted to do a build like this, silly me.
Looks great! I think it's a 1983 model 630... I have the same one and did a modern flat bar rebuild.... pics here

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=trek+630

Enjoy the ride.
Old 11-26-12, 09:22 AM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puckett129
Looks great! I think it's a 1983 model 630... I have the same one and did a modern flat bar rebuild.... pics here

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=trek+630

Enjoy the ride.
Thanks, puckett129!

It actually is an '83 600, with chainstay protector marked as such. Both the 630 and 600 were available in the pewter / blue color scheme that year, though the 600 is shown in red in the catalog. It's my understanding that these frames were identical regardless, but marketed with different components. Your ride looks great also, I actually found that thread when I was researching my build!

I'm loving the 531, noticeably smoother on all road surfaces that the Tange #1 Ironman frame I was riding previously with the same components, wheels, and tires. I'm hoping to get some better pics up this week.
Old 11-26-12, 09:27 AM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
modern wheels don't have to be that expensive... bike island has some great offerings for whole wheel sets that are modern https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...Wheelsets-Road
steve.voller-- another good source for reasonably priced modern wheelsets is velomine. i'm running a set of shimano 105 / mavic open pros that i picked up for a very nice price from them.
Old 11-26-12, 09:51 AM
runningDoc

steve.voller-- another good source for reasonably priced modern wheelsets is velomine. i'm running a set of shimano 105 / mavic open pros that i picked up for a very nice price from them.
^nice one thanks. I might end up getting new wheels for the bridgestone build from them.
Old 11-26-12, 10:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nothing so outstanding as any of the recent posts, but nonetheless, fits the category

1986 Centurion Ironman. Shimano 600 "tricolor" 8-sp STI group, DA 7700/Mavic CXP30 wheelset.
Cinelli steering, SSM Ponza saddle, FUBAR wrap. Went with greys and a little R/W/B action.
Rides like an Ironman with modern components. Which it is.

Yes, I'll shorten the RD cable housing. I'm tweaking.
Old 11-26-12, 04:51 PM
runningDoc

^nice centurion... I'm going to find one and build it up soon.. I remember reading that infamous Grant Peterson article where he kind of throws his own bridgestone frames under the bus, and admits that certain centurion builds were better in comparison.

finished this xmas gift for the wife:

the best part is... if I put on a 120mm stem... raise/push back the saddle.... it'll fit me!

more pics and build specifics here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tone-XO-1-1992
Old 11-26-12, 05:24 PM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^nice centurion... I'm going to find one and build it up soon.. I remember reading that infamous Grant Peterson article where he kind of throws his own bridgestone frames under the bus, and admits that certain centurion builds were better in comparison.

finished this xmas gift for the wife:

the best part is... if I put on a 120mm stem... raise/push back the saddle.... it'll fit me!

more pics and build specifics here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tone-XO-1-1992
Doc, you got some sexy builds.
Old 11-28-12, 09:22 AM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, puckett129!

It actually is an '83 600, with chainstay protector marked as such. Both the 630 and 600 were available in the pewter / blue color scheme that year, though the 600 is shown in red in the catalog. It's my understanding that these frames were identical regardless, but marketed with different components. Your ride looks great also, I actually found that thread when I was researching my build!

I'm loving the 531, noticeably smoother on all road surfaces that the Tange #1 Ironman frame I was riding previously with the same components, wheels, and tires. I'm hoping to get some better pics up this week.
Oh, nice... I was going just on the color. Yeah, the 531 frame does ride nice. I use it mostly on trails around here, but I am thinking it might find its way back to the road with drops one day. Enjoy it and NICE JOB!
Old 11-28-12, 10:47 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by James1:17
Wow, fantastic job Jet. Bikes like these are the reason there is drool on my desk when I peep this thread. Love the seatpost. Is it painted?. Did it change the effective diameter or was the change negligible? I've been wanting to paint a seatpost to match one of my frames after I saw a stunning all white Merlin Extralight over on the road forum, and I think yours makes my mind up for me.
I actually didn't paint it, the previous owner did and he matched it very well, I am glad you like it. The paint is rather thick and he didn't paint the entire post, just the bit that sticks out of the frame. Luckily, it is at a good point for me so I can ride it as it is. The bike is very quick, Columbus EL OS in the hands of a talented builder makes for a frame that gives a very smooth ride.
Old 11-28-12, 02:43 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Mid 90's Merckx

Here is my Merckx with 8 speed Durace and then with 10 speed Campy Centaur

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mid_90s_Merckx_front.JPG (79.5 KB, 314 views)
Mid_90s_Merckx.JPG (93.1 KB, 365 views)
90s Merckx 4.jpg (46.2 KB, 176 views)
90s Merckx 1.jpg (47.5 KB, 193 views)
90s Merckx 2.jpg (47.6 KB, 176 views)
90s Merckx 3.jpg (35.3 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Paul J; 11-28-12 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 11-28-12, 03:11 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Nice job Paul, really nice looking bike!
Old 11-28-12, 05:29 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nice EM, Paul J. I like the Campy version. Can you tell us whether you like the 10-sp Campy or the 8-sp DA better?
Old 12-01-12, 05:59 PM
tztag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my ~84 or so De Rosa Professional SLX. 64cm frame, paint is mostly good, chrome in average shape. Was glad to find one in my size finally, been looking for a while. Built up with all the non-carbon campy 10 speed I had, so Centaur shifters and rear mech, record cranks and brakes. Nitto bars and seatpost, and an ATAX stem just because I like the looks of it and I don't have a 90mm Cinelli. Record hubs and open pro rims. Cassette is the new 2012 Centaur 12-30, which I'm glad they are making since it will let me run a standard double front and give me gearing close to a compact for the hills here in Nor Cal. Shifts better than the old 13-29 as well.
Old 12-01-12, 07:33 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously thinking of Shimergo-ing my bike, though the fact I have a 8 speed cassette on an Ultegra hub and 600 derailer with semibusted/loctited 600 downtube friction shifter, means I need either 9 or 10 speed ergopower to make it work it with my cassette/derailer. There is no campagnolo here and ebay does reveal that the 9 or 10 speed ergopowers are usually too expensive for me, since it is a still not obsolete technology.

I have seen 8 speed ergopowers used for under 100$ on ebay though it would not work with my cassette, maybe with different spacers, but spacers are also expensive. I think 8 speed ergopower could work with 7 cogs on the 8 speed shimano cassette.. not sure, but 7/8 spacing is same if not mistaken...

Ergos look pretty... STI's on the other hand...
Old 12-01-12, 08:40 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

It may take some searching, Branimir, but I'm sure there is combination that will work for you. There are a couple of threads where some of the working solutions are discussed.
Old 12-01-12, 09:06 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Branimir
Seriously thinking of Shimergo-ing my bike, though the fact I have a 8 speed cassette on an Ultegra hub and 600 derailer with semibusted/loctited 600 downtube friction shifter, means I need either 9 or 10 speed ergopower to make it work it with my cassette/derailer. There is no campagnolo here and ebay does reveal that the 9 or 10 speed ergopowers are usually too expensive for me, since it is a still not obsolete technology.

I have seen 8 speed ergopowers used for under 100$ on ebay though it would not work with my cassette, maybe with different spacers, but spacers are also expensive. I think 8 speed ergopower could work with 7 cogs on the 8 speed shimano cassette.. not sure, but 7/8 spacing is same if not mistaken...

Ergos look pretty... STI's on the other hand...
8-speed Ergos will work with your Shimano cassette and rear derailleur only if you purchase this:

https://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.