Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 02:44 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here she is!

8 speed Veloce ergopower and 8 speed Ultegra cassette with 6208 Shimano 600 rear derailer.

I have to install the shiftmate tommorow, but as is - it shifts nicely at least three sprockets

Front derailer of course works flawlessly with ergopower.
Old 02-02-13, 03:18 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Beautiful

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-13, 03:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Were you on a pilgramage to the Trek home office?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-13, 05:51 PM
Marezz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Ergos look great on that bike Branimir
Old 02-02-13, 07:41 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and sorry for low quality of the photos, it's a silly mobile phone camera!

In the near future, I will overhaul the whole bicycle, that is, probably strip the paint since it's already full of dings and scratches and paint falls off to easily. Will replace the "replacement taiwanese colnago look-a-like fork" with a "replacement taiwanese chrome fork" Unless I find a pantographed fork for 30 euros locally
Old 02-02-13, 08:57 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
IMO, that fork looks pretty good! I assume that the drop-outs are forged?
Old 02-02-13, 09:15 PM
runningDoc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Branimir
Here she is!

8 speed Veloce ergopower and 8 speed Ultegra cassette with 6208 Shimano 600 rear derailer.

I have to install the shiftmate tommorow, but as is - it shifts nicely at least three sprockets

Front derailer of course works flawlessly with ergopower.
^nice! classy build.

I assume you are riding on roads with gorgeous sea views/beaches/architecture down there?
Old 02-03-13, 06:13 PM
trekday2100
Live 2 Ride - Ride 2 Live

Bikes: Trek 2100, Diamondback V-Link 1.1, Centurion Semi-Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two years later, a basketcase is now ready for the canals once the seat is replaced. All Shimano 9 SP 105 except for crank. Was worried if the under BB cable routing would be too much friction for shifting but it all worked out.

Thanks to Gary at Fountain Hill Bikes for the parts.

https://photobucket.com/Trek660BrifterUpgrade
Old 02-03-13, 08:01 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
^nice! classy build.

I assume you are riding on roads with gorgeous sea views/beaches/architecture down there?
Hehe, no really, at least not right now, since I live in the continental part of the country, though during the summer I spend some of my free time at the seaside, so riding along the shore and nearby hills/mountains is fun

Btw still not sure about setting up Shiftmate, I got the tension of the cable right, and it shifts precisely through whole 8 sprockets, but I'm not sure about the cable housing length, is it too short or?

This is now in biggest sprocket back, and smallest front, and by this photo it seems the chain is a bit too long? Anyways this is the old chain, I'm putting up a new one tommorow morning
Old 02-03-13, 08:06 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It appears that you won't be able to get the cable set up any better. I'd leave it alone, and only change the set up if it fails to perform correctly.
Old 02-04-13, 08:06 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of performance... I have a tech question for these retro-refits. Has anyone tried to use the 8 speed shimano shifters with a 7 speed cassette? The spacing between 7 and 8 speed is only .2mm dofferent, so I'm wondering if there is enough "give" to make this work?

I'd like to upgrade to brifters, and I don't want to respace the frame for a 130mm hub... So I'm thinking the easiest (and cheapest) would be to run an 8 speed brifter with my existing 7 speed cassette. If that's not workable, I suppse I could get a 9 speed brifter and run an 8-of-9 cassette... or even a 10 speed brifter and run a 9-of-10 cassette.
Old 02-04-13, 12:12 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Wife's cousin works for Trek and in-laws live not far from Waterloo Wi.

OURbianchigirll;15228682]Were you on a pilgramage to the Trek home office?

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-04-13, 12:16 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
8spd Campagnolo uses the same spacing as shimano 7. This would be your best option outside of changing to 130mm.
Old 02-04-13, 12:19 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
8spd Campagnolo uses the same spacing as shimano 7. This would be your best option outside of changing to 130mm.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-04-13, 12:40 PM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Shimano has come out with a 7 speed Tourney brifter. They look like the old Sora. Tourney A070. I have not used them or seen them in person. Online they sell for $110ish.

I would rather have the Campy.
Old 02-04-13, 12:40 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
8spd Campagnolo uses the same spacing as shimano 7.
This gets posted a lot on this forum, but I don't believe it's correct. My understanding that the sprocket/cog pitch for Shimano 7 and 8 is 5.0 and 4.8mm respectively. That's not a great difference and you may be able to make any number of combinations shift well, but it's different so it can't be the same.

Edit: My mistake; I read thirdgenbird's post incorrectly. It is correct that Campagnolo 8 and Shimano 7 both have cog pitch of 5.0mm. My experience with Campagnolo 8 speed Ergos with Campagnolo 8 RD and Shimano 7 speed freewheel was excellent shifting.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-04-13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 01:01 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I have interchanges shimano 7 and 8 speed shifters and RD's without any complications. From brifters to thumb shifters. It all seems to work just fine.
Old 02-04-13, 02:30 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
This gets posted a lot on this forum, but I don't believe it's correct. My understanding that the sprocket/cog pitch for Shimano 7 and 8 is 5.0 and 4.8mm respectively. That's not a great difference and you may be able to make any number of combinations shift well, but it's different so it can't be the same.
If you use the older Campy 8Brifter/RD the spacing is exactly 5.00, exactly matching the Shimano 7speed. It shouldn't have any issues, as I have used this combination several times. Ad a cog in next to the smallest and you end up with 8 Shimano cogs, no spacer between cassette and hub needed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Campy Mech Shimergo.jpg (78.0 KB, 274 views)
Old 02-04-13, 02:32 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

I'm aware of that. I was referring only to the cog pitch (spacing) saying nothing of particular shifters or derailleurs as that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
Old 02-04-13, 02:43 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'm aware of that. I was referring only to the cog pitch (spacing) saying nothing of particular shifters or derailleurs as that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
Oh, didn't think of that issue. How much difference is the design of the cog teeth between Shimano, Campy and SRAM? I suggest that they're pretty near identical. That's the only problem mixing shifters and mechs re: shifting performance.
Old 02-04-13, 02:46 PM
TampaRaleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly, I think I'll look for 9 speed Shimano brifters and use an 8-of-9 cassette. Problem solved and probably for a whole lot less than Campagnolo.
Old 02-04-13, 02:47 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by anixi
How much difference is the design of the cog teeth between Shimano, Campy and SRAM? I suggest that they're pretty near identical. That's the only problem mixing shifters and mechs re: shifting performance.
You are correct; I misread an earlier post and my response only served to muddy the waters. My apologies.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-04-13 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 06:00 PM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Branimir
Btw still not sure about setting up Shiftmate, I got the tension of the cable right, and it shifts precisely through whole 8 sprockets, but I'm not sure about the cable housing length, is it too short or?
if the shift performance is satisfactory to you, you've probably got it set up correctly. it took me a while to get used to the look of the shorter housing run using j-tek-- i think that may be amplified in your case because the housing stop braze-on appears to be closer to the dropout on your frame than i'm used to seeing.

i think the main issue re getting the housing length correct with the shiftmate is to make sure that the shifmate sits flush with the barrel adjuster of the rear derailleur in all cogs. if the hole where the cable exits the shiftmate isn't flush to the barrel adjuster of the derailleur, you will get variations in cable tension depending on where on the cassette it is sitting. does that make sense?

these small variations in tension might not even make a big difference on an 8speed setup, but i have had to tinker a bit to get it right with my 10speed shimergo.
Old 02-04-13, 06:25 PM
tamaso206
keep it simple.

Bikes: Univega Superstrada modern build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My '83 Trek 600 Retrofit

posted about this already... just thought i'd give an update and provide a photo that does it a bit more justice.

the old single-bolt seatpost failed, so i replaced it with a thomson setback, i love how easy it is to fine-tune the angle. added planetbike mudflaps to my VO fenders-- makes all the difference in the world! no more spray on the feet and grit on the drivetrain is virtually a non-issue, even when doing dirt path riding.

Last edited by tamaso206; 02-04-13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 06:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by tamaso206

..... added planetbike mudflaps to my VO fenders-- makes all the difference in the world! no more spray on the feet and grit on the drivetrain is virtually a non-issue, even when doing dirt path riding.
First time I ever heard anyone actually say how well they work. Thanks. Tight bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.